Do Not Sell My Personal Information

how to secure a full size alloy in a 2014 fiesta boot

Pmillar

Hi all i have recently got a 2014 ford fiesta 3dr.

It only came with a can of foam to repair a wheel , so i purchased a full size alloy and now i need to know how to secure it , as its just sitting in the boot loose, but has the boot cover on to try help a little bit.

Thanks Paul M

You need something like this:- click here to secure the wheel to the threaded fixture on the bottom of the spare wheel well. The fixture in the link I gave is quite expensive so I would try and get one from a scrapped car. Have you found that your spare alloy sits quite high and that the boot floor cover doesn't sit properly? The wheel well was designed for a space saver wheel and you can buy one of these quite cheaply. They fit perfectly in the space and weigh a lot less than a full alloy. Don't forget you will probably need a jack. Here is a link to an eBay listing for the space saver wheel, jack and the screw fixture for holding it in place:-  Spare Wheel Kit

Fixing depends on whether you put the wheel in outer side up or down. Outerside down gives you storage space in the well. As to the difference in height, that's quite simple, a frame work of 20 x 40 timber and half sheet of 6 mm ply will sort it. You will need to cut the ply across he width to get it into the boot. Jig saw or router the hole for the wheel. Aerosol matt black. This false floor will take up the 30mm difference in height. Some lucky buyer got mine for free when I part xd my ZS.

do you need to secure it? it can't really fly about unless you turn the car over in an accident. Then I agree it might fly about and cause harm. But then nobody secures other stuff in the boot of their car. eg. if you had a heavy suitcase in the boot of your car it could fly about if you flipped the car over, and you will have been happy to drive with that risk so what's the difference?

perhaps some people do secure heavy objects in the boot of the car but I very much doubt it.

Anyway, you won't be able to buy one of those spare wheel securing screws of the correct size for an alloy in the boot.

you need to buy some studding like this

https://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Metric_Studding_300mm_Lengths___Zinc_Plated_46.html

of the correct thread plus nuts to suit.  And then you need a piece of metal plate or good thick plastic of the a size a bit bigger then the hole in the middle of the wheel with a hole in the centre for the studding to pass through

Thanks for the replies , it does sit a bit higher than the floor , but its ok as i dont think ill be carrying to much around in the boot anyways, the car is only 5 days old with me, i got it saturday and ill see if i can get one from a scrapped car or maybe make something up with a nut , bolt and some timber 

I Would like it to be secured, just for peace of mind, i know it can be a debate , weather to secure it or not, but i would like it to be just so i know nothing can happen to anything else if it does in the boot.

2 hours ago, karl46 said:

Fixing depends on whether you put the wheel in outer side up or down. Outerside down gives you storage space in the well. As to the difference in height, that's quite simple, a frame work of 20 x 40 timber and half sheet of 6 mm ply will sort it. You will need to cut the ply across he width to get it into the boot. Jig saw or router the hole for the wheel. Aerosol matt black. This false floor will take up the 30mm difference in height. Some lucky buyer got mine for free when I part xd my ZS.

it is alloy side up as that's the best fit, when its down it sits around 30 mm above the floor, but when its alloy facing up its only 15 mm or so higher , not to noticeable but you can tell its not flush, i will look into making a plywood cover for it at some point , just so it makes the boot flat, it has quite a think cover in the boot now, so it's ok 

3 hours ago, Vendee said:

You need something like this:- click here to secure the wheel to the threaded fixture on the bottom of the spare wheel well. The fixture in the link I gave is quite expensive so I would try and get one from a scrapped car. Have you found that your spare alloy sits quite high and that the boot floor cover doesn't sit properly? The wheel well was designed for a space saver wheel and you can buy one of these quite cheaply. They fit perfectly in the space and weigh a lot less than a full alloy. Don't forget you will probably need a jack. Here is a link to an ebay listing for the space saver wheel, jack and the screw fixture for holding it in place:-  Spare Wheel Kit

thanks ill have a look and see if i can make something or see if i can find a scrapped car , and see if i can make something work to secure it

1 hour ago, isetta said:

do you need to secure it? it can't really fly about unless you turn the car over in an accident. Then I agree it might fly about and cause harm. But then nobody secures other stuff in the boot of their car. eg. if you had a heavy suitcase in the boot of your car it could fly about if you flipped the car over, and you will have been happy to drive with that risk so what's the difference?

perhaps some people do secure heavy objects in the boot of the car but I very much doubt it.

Anyway, you won't be able to buy one of those spare wheel securing screws of the correct size for an alloy in the boot.

you need to buy some studding like this

https://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Metric_Studding_300mm_Lengths___Zinc_Plated_46.html

of the correct thread plus nuts to suit.  And then you need a piece of metal plate or good thick plastic of the a size a bit bigger then the hole in the middle of the wheel with a hole in the centre for the studding to pass through

it doesnt look to bad when in the boot unsecure, but i would just like it secured for peace of mind so i know nothing can fly around , the wheel is pretty heavy so i should be fine just in there. ill make something work 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club