Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk5 mondeo 2.0 tdci fuel

shamus1

hi guys is it ok to use supreme diesels in the mk5 2.0 tdci like bp ultimate?

51 minutes ago, shamus1 said:

hi guys is it ok to use supreme diesels in the mk5 2.0 tdci like bp ultimate?

Yup, if nothing else your engine will thank you in the long term due to the extra detergent in the fuel.

Yes if you like wasting money

Its a bit of a marmite subject.

There isnt any conclusive evidence either way but here is what we do know.

Base fuel is more or less the same for everyone, but different additives are added depending on who wants to do it but the basic fuel will always be of a minimum acceptable standard.

we also know that diesel had its sulphur removed to aid emissions, sulphur is a natural lubricant. so ultra low sulphur is just another way of saying ultra low Lubrication. For diesels this is a big deal, your injectors are probably around £200 a pop plus the insanely high pressure fuel pump, they are finely balanced and timed and more importantly they are moving parts. Low Lube and moving metal isnt a good thing.  

Does the fuel have some lubricating properties? yes, but is it wrong to ensure its better with "premium" fuel?

Thats where the fact ends and the subjection starts. I feel a difference in response between Tesco's crap and Shell v-power, I hear a notable difference as well, I also get about 2-3mpg more when using it.

You could experiment with adding 2 stroke low ash oil to your fuel. I get about a 10% improvement when I use that stuff (200ml per tank) 

Personally I take the view of never touching supermarket fuel, ill use Shell most of the time and vpower occasionally. 

• Like 1

I recently had a Zafira 1.7 ecoflex cdti and did just over 20,000 miles in a year. It always ran on Shell "V" power (99.9% time) or once or twice BP Ultimate. It ran fine and gave me mid to high 40's mpg. Everything seamed fine until it stalled early one morning. Four hours later after removing all the dirty,oily disgusting gunk from the EGR system I got it restarted and continued to drive it. So is the "V" power better.............................NO I do not believe it is. I part exed it three weeks later and got my present car. I will now use cheap fuel but every 6-8 weeks put in some wynns diesel system clean. 

1 hour ago, dghackett said:

I recently had a Zafira 1.7 ecoflex cdti and did just over 20,000 miles in a year. It always ran on Shell "V" power (99.9% time) or once or twice BP Ultimate. It ran fine and gave me mid to high 40's mpg. Everything seamed fine until it stalled early one morning. Four hours later after removing all the dirty,oily disgusting gunk from the EGR system I got it restarted and continued to drive it. So is the "V" power better.............................NO I do not believe it is. I part exed it three weeks later and got my present car. I will now use cheap fuel but every 6-8 weeks put in some wynns diesel system clean. 

So you dont like v-power and think its a lot of nonsense because an entirely unrelated and by its very nature a dirty Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve got clogged up and screwed your car over?

I dont mean to be cheeky but if you got another diesel for your new car, that EGR valve of yours is going to clog up all the same and cause all manor of problems for you, irrespective of the fuel you use, but at least your old Zafira didn't burst in to flames! 😉

If you have a diesel, That oily crap you spent hours cleaning on your old car, is currently building up in your current valve and inlet manifold.  You can blame some pen pusher who doesn't worry about EGR valves going wrong but wants to pretend they are saving the polar bears.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dghackett said:

There's more to the fuel system on a diesel than the EGR, the EGR as the name suggests recirculates exhaust gases back into the engine so it's always going to gradually build up sludgy crap regardless of the "quality" of the diesel used.

I'd be more bothered about keeping the injectors in good nick and the high pressure pump lubricated.  Both cost a load more than an EGR valve and typically have a far greater effect on engine performance/efficiency than the EGR valve.

Granted, I also use cheaper/supermarket diesel (not Morrisons due to additional bio-diesel content) and add an additive to try and keep on top of things.  My 2005 1.8 TDCi is on 151K miles and still on the same high pressure pump and injectors which may or may not be related to the additive I use but when others have reported injector issues at sub 60K miles I must be doing something right.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club