Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus advice needed

Liam121093

Hello

I Have had a MK2 1.6TDCI (110) for the last 2 years and had nothing but problems with the turbo, DPF, Limp mode ECT. I have now got rid of it and am looking at a MK2 1.8TDCI 2006, How is the engine on these? Would they be better than the 1.6 in terms of reliability.

Or would the 2.0 TDCI be better to get?

Thanks in advance. 

16 hours ago, Liam121093 said:

Hello

I Have had a MK2 1.6TDCI (110) for the last 2 years and had nothing but problems with the turbo, DPF, Limp mode ECT. I have now got rid of it and am looking at a MK2 1.8TDCI 2006, How is the engine on these? Would they be better than the 1.6 in terms of reliability.

Or would the 2.0 TDCI be better to get?

Thanks in advance. 

My personal ten-peneth (for what it's worth):

1.8 TDCi

* Positive - No DPF (never had one)

* Positive - Cast iron head and is extremely tough/durable

* Positive - The lower timing is chain not belt so only the top "timing" belt should ever need to be changed, as long as oil changes have been done roughly when they should have been.  (The lower chain was changed to a belt sometime in 2007 which isn't that big of a deal it just means that you'd need to make sure that a garage knows to do both belts if you were "having the timing belt done")

* Positive - Other than a period on the facelift model Focus where Siemens supplied substandard injectors, the engine doesn't seem to have many inherent issues.

* Negative - The injector issue on some late 08/early 09 builds (injectors are EXPENSIVE parts, especially if you need 4 of them!)

* Negative - Not the most refined sounding engine

* Negative - A relatively short (intercooler hose) that carries hot air can weaken and leak, a more durable silicone replacement cost around £10 and can be fitted just using a screwdriver (not hard).  (To be fair this can happen on most diesels, the original hose material is just a bit too "plastic" and it eventually cracks).

I run a MK2 (pre facelift) 1.8 TDCi and the engine is still going strong at 13.5 years old, 154K miles on the clock (original clutch, injectors, fuel pump, turbo etc).

2.0 TDCi

* Positive - DPF was optional so there are plenty of them kicking about having left the factory without a DPF

* Positive - Feels a lot more powerful than the 1.6 TDCi and 1.8 TDCi power units

* Positive - Sounds more refined than the 1.8 TDCi units

* Positive - It's a different engine design to the 1.6 TDCi so it doesn't suffer from the oil starvation issues

* Positive - It's a different engine design to the 1.6 TDCi so it doesn't suffer from the issue that can kill the injectors prematurely

* Positive - 6 speed manual gearbox as standard which helps MPG etc

* Negative - Not quite a good on fuel as a 1.8 TDCi (when both are running properly) but personally I think the extra performance more than makes up for it

Although I've driven the 2.0 TDCi a few times I've not owned one so my above comments regarding the engine are just what I've noticed from being on here for years.

I like my 1.8 TDCi, but if I was choosing now I'd go for a 2.0 TDCi as long a it had decent service history (mainly the oil changes) and definitely no DPF!  (you can check a VRM on FORDetis to see if it's got a factory fitted DPF.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club