Reversing camera Sync 3

jonah406

20 minutes ago, Jambors said:

I’m looking at this camera

1CEB6725-9C2D-47E9-BAE2-67F0A2ADB389.png

That’s what I’ve got 

DDEB7FC3-F7D1-4C05-8494-F81E1F503C65.png

9 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

Do you get the reversing lines @Tommo17?

I get lines but they are fixed. Green blue yellow red. Hence why I want to get the original working. 

I'm assuming you mean the lines move as you move the car to show you where you're going to end up?

Does anyone know for certain if this happens on a factory fitted camera with sync 3?

I read somewhere else - I think it was @JW1982 said that the lines are drawn by the BCM on module-less systems. If this is the case, and if the factory camera for sync3 doesn't require an external camera module, then what tells the BCM to move the lines? How does it all talk to one another is what I'm getting at.

If you struggled to get an OEM camera to work but the third party fired straight up, I wonder what the missing ingredient is if not an external camera module...

@Luke_Anderson, you had factory fitted camera, right? Could you please remind me what you had to do to get it working with Sync3 and what lines are on the screen when it's on?

Just a thought - @Tommo17 you don't have active park assist do you? I'm wondering if that was all part of the same package that requires the alternative abs sensors or something...?

36 minutes ago, Phil21185 said:

I'm assuming you mean the lines move as you move the car to show you where you're going to end up?

Does anyone know for certain if this happens on a factory fitted camera with sync 3?

I read somewhere else - I think it was @JW1982 said that the lines are drawn by the BCM on module-less systems. If this is the case, and if the factory camera for sync3 doesn't require an external camera module, then what tells the BCM to move the lines? How does it all talk to one another is what I'm getting at.

If you struggled to get an OEM camera to work but the third party fired straight up, I wonder what the missing ingredient is if not an external camera module...

@Luke_Anderson, you had factory fitted camera, right? Could you please remind me what you had to do to get it working with Sync3 and what lines are on the screen when it's on?

Just a thought - @Tommo17 you don't have active park assist do you? I'm wondering if that was all part of the same package that requires the alternative abs sensors or something...?

I don’t mate no. I pick up my abs sensors next week than I have all the parts. Hopefully make up the wiring this week I’ve already made the wiring for the switch just the 12 wires left to make up now. 

And if sync 3 has the BCM do the guide lines but our cars require the module maybe it will never work. I seen on forscan someone has fitted the OEM cam to sync 2/3 and got it working. The forscan team tried something new with him and it worked. 

What are the lines supposed to do? To be honest I think I'd be happy with fixed lines as long as the camera quality is ok. 

I don't really need a reversing camera (as I'm sure you don't either) but I do like having as many of the gizmos and gadgets that are available! 

I, too am going to have a crack at fitting the 12 sensor setup. Here's where I'm at so far:

Already have the rear 4 (incidentally a quick look up behind the bumper and I can't see markings to cut for the extra 2 sensors...)

Front loom - 2nd hand, with sensors £55

Rear loom - new, £30

APAM - used, £25

Button assembly (had to buy whole HVAC fascia and controls so will swap and sell) £40

Need a couple more sensors and brackets and the abs sensors and I'm good to go!

Have to post on Bannkos thread how we get on!

I’m not going for the 6 rear for that reason. 6 on the rear is mk3.5 (I could be wrong but yet to see a 3 with 6. I’ve got the the marks for the blis system though. 

cam is miles better for me than the sensors. Never pay attention to them anymore as the camera is that good. Have you got the front bumper grill yet to fit the 2 centre sensors. 

yes I had to buy the hvac for £40 also just to get the switch. And the retainers from ford for £48 for the 4 as couldn’t find them anywhere online. Or the correct loom with fogs. 

how are you planning on connecting it up? 

We should continue this on the other thread I think to prevent going off topic. I'll tag you there 🙂

Right

ive spent days scouring the internet and think this may work

so inside an rca cable is 3 wires. 

Red 12v 

black video -

yellow video +

the grey connector has 6 pins

pin 1 is white 12v

pin 4 is blue video +

pin 5 is green video -

so if you join the black rca wire to pin 5 and yellow rca wire to to pin 4 then it should give you video. Join the red 12v wire to white pin 1 and then join the other side to the camera power cable and this should power the camera when in reverse. Earth the camera from inside the tailgate and fingers crossed this works. 

Hm, I may well be wrong but RCA is usually 2 plus shield. That shield is meant to prevent interference, not to be used as a negative return.

I hope you're right, I really do, but I think from reading others' experience on here it may not be that simple.

To be fair though, I was just going to get hold of a camera and ***** about with the wiring diagrams to see what happened!

Be sure to report back how you get on! 

Edit: really?! F@rt is offensive??!

1 hour ago, Phil21185 said:

Hm, I may well be wrong but RCA is usually 2 plus shield. That shield is meant to prevent interference, not to be used as a negative return.

I hope you're right, I really do, but I think from reading others' experience on here it may not be that simple.

To be fair though, I was just going to get hold of a camera and ***** about with the wiring diagrams to see what happened!

Be sure to report back how you get on! 

Edit: really?! F@rt is offensive??!

Is the red not a signal so the headunit can power the video input? Heres the rca lead. It has a thin red comes out of either side

77A945EE-A7C6-41BD-8963-87EB324FA92C.png

Heres a vid from YouTube showing the pig tail can be used for power 

I've not seen cables like that before. I thought you were referring to normal phono/RCA leads!

Told you I might be wrong!!

Is the red not a signal so the headunit can power the video input? Heres the rca lead. It has a thin red comes out of either side

77A945EE-A7C6-41BD-8963-87EB324FA92C.thumb.png.20dc232d4b7ab3e74b80b2640b2324a4.png

You’re right, the red is normally used as a signal wire but in this application you can use it as a power wire.

I wrote a guide for fitting a camera in the Mk5 Mondeo and did it this way, it’s been followed by countless people who have all done it this way too with no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

You’re right, the red is normally used as a signal wire but in this application you can use it as a power wire.

I wrote a guide for fitting a camera in the Mk5 Mondeo and did it this way, it’s been followed by countless people who have all done it this way too with no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you’ve done it that way does the camera delay feature work?

If you’ve done it that way does the camera delay feature work?
It worked on the Mondeo, when I did my focus I took a feed from a 12v switched fuse in the boot and ran the RCA to the front of the car.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

This is the standard ford Mk3 prefacelift camera on the sync 3 upgrade. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Luke_Anderson said:

This is the standard ford Mk3 prefacelift camera on the sync 3 upgrade. 

Luke is that a camera that requires a module ? Or one without. 

3 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

It worked on the Mondeo, when I did my focus I took a feed from a 12v switched fuse in the boot and ran the RCA to the front of the car.

I’ve taken mine from the reverse light. Hence why I keep getting camera unavailable now and again. Might swap it 

I’ve taken mine from the reverse light. Hence why I keep getting camera unavailable now and again. Might swap it 
I've heard of problems when using the reverse light as I believe it does not get a 12v feed when measured with a multimeter.

• Thanks 1

I too am looking at fitting a reversing camera on my 2017 focus st. Could anyone who's successfully fitted one do an idiots step by step process of how they did it or a video of the process. Thank you In advance

Thought I’d update this. Now have a working rear view camera using the grey plug. So easy to do and cost me under £25

B0862C41-8B6B-42BE-BF05-B9C207317DF8.jpeg

• Like 3

Thought I’d update this. Now have a working rear view camera using the grey plug. So easy to do and cost me under £25
B0862C41-8B6B-42BE-BF05-B9C207317DF8.thumb.jpeg.1458a93fe32172aa89c1b60891bdbbb3.jpeg
Nice job! All your work paid off in the end [emoji106]

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club