Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Converse+ losing mpg instant / average and trip info after short run + alarm problem

Flord

Hi all newbie here,

Jumped back on the Ford wagon this weekend, been a long time since owning my last Ford, was a Capri whos petrol tank fell off in a shower of spark lol which put me off Ford until my bro got his Focus a few years ago and has been a great car.

Anyway, i got a 2010 Mondeo 2.0 tdci Titanium with 137000 on the clock. It drives lovely but there are a couple of (hopefully little) problems with it.

When i picked it up there was an alarm service message on the convers+. The dealer told me it had a new battery fitted and probably just needed resetting ???

The next thing that became apparent was that the fuel info miles left / instant mpg / avg mpg etc went off after a short period of driving, anything from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes then the display just reads "---"  ???

Now i've just covered 75 miles in it over last couple of days and when i parked up last night after a 3 mile run there was an audible clicking from somewhere behind the drivers side dash/footwell area (my bro thought it was from the stereo though) and noticed a bit of a burning smell when i got out the car, bit scared to start it up this morning lol 🙂

Also the rad fan seems to kick in quite often, even after a short run, temp gauge is rock solid though.

Any advice would be appreciated 🙂

Cheers.

BUMP lol.

Alright fellow ford members.

I suggested to me bro to get this Mondeno, I have a Focus that I am happy with and I told him this was da place to be for advice, but so far no one can offer any words of wisdom 😥

If anyone has any knowledge or advice we would both appreciate it.

Thanks in advance 🙂

On 1/7/2019 at 11:42 AM, Flord said:

Hi all newbie here,

Jumped back on the Ford wagon this weekend, been a long time since owning my last Ford, was a Capri whos petrol tank fell off in a shower of spark lol which put me off Ford until my bro got his Focus a few years ago and has been a great car.

Anyway, i got a 2010 Mondeo 2.0 tdci Titanium with 137000 on the clock. It drives lovely but there are a couple of (hopefully little) problems with it.

When i picked it up there was an alarm service message on the convers+. The dealer told me it had a new battery fitted and probably just needed resetting ???

The next thing that became apparent was that the fuel info miles left / instant mpg / avg mpg etc went off after a short period of driving, anything from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes then the display just reads "---"  ???

Now i've just covered 75 miles in it over last couple of days and when i parked up last night after a 3 mile run there was an audible clicking from somewhere behind the drivers side dash/footwell area (my bro thought it was from the stereo though) and noticed a bit of a burning smell when i got out the car, bit scared to start it up this morning lol 🙂

Also the rad fan seems to kick in quite often, even after a short run, temp gauge is rock solid though.

Any advice would be appreciated 🙂

Cheers.

The burning smell could possible by the DPF performing a regeneration cycle, especially if the radiator fan seemed to be running at more or less full tilt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Damian, yeah I am hoping that's all it is too. I think an oil change, a drink of the good stuff (optimax v power) and some millers should sort it, fingers crossed.

Anyone know why the trip data works as soon as you start driving and within 60 seconds it all just dashes out, like this...

45.6mpg

60 seconds later

- - - - - - -

Anyone know how and why the trip is doing that? Does it need a battery somewhere or resetting or something?

Ta 🙂

Is the rest of the time intrumentation working correctly, if so it may be sticky Switch causing the problem, +1 for poss dpv regen

• Like 2

Hi all thanks for the input.

Bit of an update, i found this vid on youtube (below) and mine was making the exact same noise - damn DPF!

So went out with ThePowster for a bit of a run to use up the old diesel that came in the car and to hopefully sort the regen and return the trip info.

Got up to temp and thought an 8 mile run, 60mph @ 4000 rpm 3rd gear would sort the regen. Bugger "ENGINE MALFUNCTION" warning came up, oops 🙂

On way to garage noticed that the thump thump thump noise (in vid) had stopped but trip info still no working.

Got to my fave place, the new Shell garage on the A38. Fuel light just came on as i pulled in.

35 litres or £50 and a double shot of millers later and off we went again. YAY all trip info back on.

Hopefully engine message will go away tomoz, if not will pull the battery for a bit.

Just need to replace the backup alarm now 😞

I would get under the car and check to see if the DPF pressure senser hose have split/ burnt through a common fault easily sorted, that may be why you have engine light on and no,loss of power.

• Like 2

T says thank's for that mate, got a Haynes manual coming in the post, soon as we know what a pressure hose looks like lol we'll check it out 🙂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ThePowster said:

T says thank's for that mate, got a Haynes manual coming in the post, soon as we know what a pressure hose looks like lol we'll check it out 🙂

Easy to find they come of the DPF 2 pipes they go forward and up the bulkhead. I dont remember them been shown in the haynes manual.

• Thanks 1

My last mondeo I bought had an engine management light showing, was code P2002 DPF particulate filter blocked. The actual fact though was that the DPF hoses (Connect to the front of the DPF) had become brittal and both fractured and conpletely cpme away from the DPF.

I bought a couple of lengths of 7mm fuel hose and replaced them both, the pressure sensor is up on the back of the engine block, a bit awkward to get to but in reality not a difficult job. I clamped tgem both on with jubille clips and the DPF was peefect, never gave an warning light again 👍🏼

Hope yours is healthier soon.

Mine has been written off last Monday after someone pulled out on front of me!! Today I just bought a replacement so will be back in a mondy very soon 😁

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club