Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A worrying problem

PGHSE9

Hi, 

Sorry to make my first post a request for help (if I'm not allowed to do this, please feel free to move/delete etc). 

I bought a second hand 58 reg Zetec Blue Fiesta a couple of months ago. As it stands, it's got a smidgen over 35000 miles on the clock. service done about 2000 miles ago, MOT until September. 

It had been brilliant, until just over a week ago when the battery light would turn itself on for about a minute, then off for quite a bit, then on briefly, then off for quite a bit, then on briefly...you get the idea. Checked with garage, got new alternator fitted. No big deal. 

Anyway, today I was driving along, and I hear a loud rattling/knocking sound. It sounded like it was coming from under the car on the driver's side. I pull over, call the garage, get it booked in for Monday (the earliest it can be done) go home, have to go out again to pick up my partner from work, all the while there's this noise. It kinda sounds like a drop link or something has gone, but much louder. It's pretty constant (it's there when the car is idling, as well as when it's moving), and I'm just a bit worried.

I have no idea what it is - as I said, it came on very suddenly. I have no idea if something happened when I had the alternator fixed. I'm a bit worried that it might be something with the engine (it sounds like it's from under the car, but that may not be the case), but the oil seemed to be more than ok when I checked it a couple of weeks back and, for what it's worth, the oil engine light hasn't come on. 

I just wondered if anyone might have any idea what it might be? I'm not going to be driving it until I have to take it to the garage, at any rate. 

Thanks for your time and help! 

Its hard to say for certain but if the alternator has been changed in the past week and you say the noise is there with the engine running and the car stationary, chances are your problem is related to the alternator or the aux drive belt and its tension. It would help if you stated what engine type/size you have in your fiesta.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Vendee said:

Its hard to say for certain but if the alternator has been changed in the past week and you say the noise is there with the engine running and the car stationary, chances are your problem is related to the alternator or the aux drive belt and its tension. It would help if you stated what engine type/size you have in your fiesta.

Thanks - It's a 1.4 litre petrol. 

For what it's worth, I checked the oil today and it's fine, so hopefully it ain't the engine being screwed. 

The plastic wheel arch liner was probably taken out to do the alternator. Perhaps it hasn't been put back properly.

Just get the bonnet up and look & listen to pin point the noise, don't keep running the car if you suspect it could get worse & break down on you.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club