Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo MK4 1.6 petrol (not eco boost) : No power starting from cold. Power returns when the car is turned fully off and back on when warm.

muxer107

I have the above car and recently when I put my foot down I would get no power, then it would just come back out of no where. (it was like diesel turbo lag)

This persisted for a while, and has turned into no power when the car is started, and no power until the car is warmed up then turned fully off and back on again. In which case the car is now back to normal like nothing happened.

If this happens a few times in a row, I get an engine warning light P0017. The crank sensor was replaced to see if that would help.

Has anyone any idea what to look for here?

The car seems to be leaking oil from around the rocker gasket which I plan to replace. It's not a massive leak, but just mentioning it in case it might be relevant.

Thanks for any feedback.

That code is not just crank sensor,  what it is, is that the cam and crank sensor are not in sync, iether sensor could be faulty, it could be a wiring issue, it could also be a timing issue.

The way i would go about it is, Check the wiring to both sensors then the cam timing then change the cam sensor.

• Like 1

I'll price the cam sensor today and if it's cheap enough I'll just replace it.

I'm guessing it's a sensor issue as it starts working when the car warms up.

Surely a timing issue would persist even after the car warmed up?

Can I check the cam timing myself?

Thanks for the reply btw.

Cam sensor is cheap about £20, it is unlikely to be cam timing but yes you can check the timing yourself not sure of the marks on the petrol though, a case of the marks lining up.

I've ordered the cam sensor and I'll be putting it in next week.

I'll update this thread when I have it in to see if that resolves it 👍

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know!

Well no joy unfortunately.

I replaced the cam sensor and it was still the same. Then I noticed a second cam sensor, so I then replaced that (with the other sensor I had taken off as it clearly wasn't the fault) and the problem persisted.

That's now both cam sensors checked and the crank sensor.

Any other suggestions? really frustrating problem!!

I have logs from a cold start from the OBD port using forscan if they are of any use.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club