Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford SYNC 3 updates

Andyr55

How does one handle SYNC software and maps update after retrofitting a SYNC 3 unit?

I retrofitted SYNC 3 to my 2012 Titanium and programmed the car using a VIN of a similar spec car from 2017/18 but it wasnt the actual VIN of the car where the SYNC 3 unit came from.

Everything working fine, but now I want to update SYNC.

So, I went online to the Ford update site and entered this same VIN and it offered me an update file. Am I safe using this on my retrofit, as I heard the sat nav / maps relies on some license installed in the unit? How do I then update the maps?

Thanks

James

I have updated my Sync 3 via the usb and entered the log key on the Ford website.  The website says update complete and it may take a few minutes to appear, however after many days when I go back to get the map updates it says I need to update sync 3.  I have tried numerous times but it doesn’t seem to link the log key to my vin number.  Can. Anyone help and tell me how I can get the maps please.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a Focus Titanium X 2017 1.0 Ecoboost from a dealer.  It has Sync 3 V2.3 Build 17109  and F6.1 maps.  I have decent broadband but the 2 Gb ish ford sync won't download to my laptop.  Ford Servers struggling to cope?  All I can see is "Please Wait, it takes time to package these files", then  "Nearly there" then "Please Wait, it takes time to package these files",   If I can update Sync (having taken account of the faffing about needed on a USB stick) will I have to pay for F8 map updates  (website suggests £150!!)

Map updates are free if you download yourself.
If you get a dealership to do it for you then they charge you labour time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

AGot the sync 3 update needed as a pre requisite for the latest maps. Bit it wouldn't install, because of Ford using some odd zipping process. One of the files should have expanded to 1.2 GB but it only inflated to 220 mb with WinZip and 7 zip. So I fixed this by using NCH software. I can't download the map software until I provide the Sync 3 update logfile.  Will keep you posted once sync 3 update is installed, but not sure which version of maps I will get. Google maps offline to a paired Android phone is probably a lot better.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:36 PM, JPW said:

How does one handle SYNC software and maps update after retrofitting a SYNC 3 unit?

I retrofitted SYNC 3 to my 2012 Titanium and programmed the car using a VIN of a similar spec car from 2017/18 but it wasnt the actual VIN of the car where the SYNC 3 unit came from.

Everything working fine, but now I want to update SYNC.

So, I went online to the Ford update site and entered this same VIN and it offered me an update file. Am I safe using this on my retrofit, as I heard the sat nav / maps relies on some license installed in the unit? How do I then update the maps?

Thanks

James

That's how I do it and had no problems.

When I upgraded to sync3 from sync2 I used a vin found on eBay. Its worked fine inputting it into the Ford site and upgraded my maps to f8 a few months ago.

Matt

I’ve got a 2018 Fiesta ST Line X, 8 inch Screen and Sync 3 version 3.0 Build 17276. Trying my best to update it but there’s one pesky file in the download from the ford website that I cannot extract from the Zip file. Tried a Mac and a Windows PC and 4 different softwares but nothing can unzip it, it’s a 1.2GB file in the SyncMyRide folder. Any advice??

10 minutes ago, benmnk said:

I’ve got a 2018 Fiesta ST Line X, 8 inch Screen and Sync 3 version 3.0 Build 17276. Trying my best to update it but there’s one pesky file in the download from the ford website that I cannot extract from the Zip file. Tried a Mac and a Windows PC and 4 different softwares but nothing can unzip it, it’s a 1.2GB file in the SyncMyRide folder. Any advice??

You dont need to extract the files inside the folder yourself. Just copy the folder onto the USB.

Matt

19 minutes ago, matt77303 said:

You dont need to extract the files inside the folder yourself. Just copy the folder onto the USB.

Matt

The problem is that the file isn’t in the SyncMyRide folder as my computer won’t extract it from the original download file. It extracts the autoinstall.lst file, the DONTINDX.MSA file and the SyncMyRideFolder containing all of the files except this one big file. Unless you’re saying I can just put the zipped download file onto the USB drive and the car will unzip everything?

Ford have no idea when F9 will be released. 

On 1/11/2020 at 12:00 PM, Graeme_r said:

AGot the sync 3 update needed as a pre requisite for the latest maps. Bit it wouldn't install, because of Ford using some odd zipping process. One of the files should have expanded to 1.2 GB but it only inflated to 220 mb with WinZip and 7 zip. So I fixed this by using NCH software. I can't download the map software until I provide the Sync 3 update logfile.  Will keep you posted once sync 3 update is installed, but not sure which version of maps I will get. Google maps offline to a paired Android phone is probably a lot better.

Did you get the update working?

I've had the same issue as you trying to update SYNC 3 using the files from the Ford site. The following two files have errors, and following your post I've found 7 ZIP (and Windows) can't read them, but the NCH tool can.
JR3T-14G391-AE (I think this is a voice file)
JR3T-14G423-AB (I think this is Gracenotes)

Even when I use NCH to extract all the files I get the PKG_ERR03 problem when trying to install. My guess is that SYNC can't uncompress the tar.gz files in the same way that 7 Zip can't.

The advice I've had elsewhere is to redownload the files from Ford, in the hope of getting uncorrupted files. I've now done this many times, but always have the same issue.

What I've now done (though haven't tried to install yet) is:

- use NCG to completely uncompress these two files (resulting in two folders containing files)

- tarred and gziped them using 7 Zip (resulting in tar.gz files that 7 Zip can read).

I've made sure these have the same file names. I'll try it on or before the weekend and see if I can get my software updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got around the corrupted download zip file?

I'm having the same issue with unpacking the files. Haven't tried to run the updates with corrupted ones...

On 1/11/2020 at 2:00 PM, Graeme_r said:

I have also managed to extract them correctly (?) with NCH software.

Was the update installed successfully on your car though? I haven't tried it yet.

Should I proceed too?

Thanks.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:13 AM, scoggy said:

Even when I use NCH to extract all the files I get the PKG_ERR03 problem when trying to install. My guess is that SYNC can't uncompress the tar.gz files in the same way that 7 Zip can't.

What I've now done (though haven't tried to install yet) is:

- use NCG to completely uncompress these two files (resulting in two folders containing files)

- tarred and gziped them using 7 Zip (resulting in tar.gz files that 7 Zip can read).

I've made sure these have the same file names. I'll try it on or before the weekend and see if I can get my software updated.

Has this workaround worked for you?

38 minutes ago, zeronero said:

Has this workaround worked for you?

No. In order to get the software installed (which I eventually did) I had to get a copy of the files which could be successfully unxiped with 7Zip. I did this by downloading from Ford using a different (very contrived) method (see post linked below), though I later found there's a Russian forum I could have downloaded the files from (which I've linked to in another post you can find if you click on my profile).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scoggy said:

No. In order to get the software installed (which I eventually did) I had to get a copy of the files which could be successfully unxiped with 7Zip. I did this by downloading from Ford using a different (very contrived) method (see post linked below), though I later found there's a Russian forum I could have downloaded the files from (which I've linked to in another post you can find if you click on my profile).

Thanks for the "heads-up"!

I am glad to report that the proposed method has worked! At least the zip file was extracted with 7zip with no errors being reported and the contained files' sizes seem correct.

The next step would be to apply the update to my car. Fingers crossed.

I have just received my car yesterday and I thought that there would be no trouble at all in installing an update. Alas!

I hope that the F9 map zip would be more straight-forward to download. I am fed up with scr**ed OTA updates in phones, TVs etc.

On 7/23/2019 at 7:58 PM, Phil3747 said:

Yeah, I gathered that from the last 9 pages of disgruntled owners ...hope you get it sorted soon, people 👍

One minor glitch with the new download is that sometimes when I switch on, I get an information message saying that a download is about to start and it only goes away when I click on the okay button. I've tried plugging my phone into the front usb port (where I downloaded the update from) to see if that would clear it but it hasn't.

Anyone any idea how I can stop this message from flashing up ??

Hi guys, not been on here for a few months but I am still having the afore-mentioned issue where I get the "Installation in progress...…" message appearing most times when I start the car up. My local dealer has had the car 3 times in recent weeks to try and sort it but have been unable to make it go away and have raised a technical query with Ford. Has anyone else encountered this after updating their Sync 3 ??

Have you tried turning off wi-fi updates in the settings menu?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It has never been turned on. I tried the "master re-set" as well but that didn't work either.

• 2 weeks later...

I have updated sync3 today (16/2/20) and all went well and success was reported to Ford via the log file from the usb stick used. A 30-40 min process.

The unit appears to be working normally.

However, I read from posts above that maps take 2 hours. How do I do that? There is no mention on the Website that this is an additional process.

Confused.

If there was a map update available for you to download it would have been offered on the Ford update website after you had completed the Sync3 software update

• Thanks 1

My local dealer thinks we will be lucky to get a map update by the summer. I’ve got a 2019 galaxy but maps must be 3 years out off date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/7/2020 at 11:33 AM, Phil3747 said:

Hi guys, not been on here for a few months but I am still having the afore-mentioned issue where I get the "Installation in progress...…" message appearing most times when I start the car up. My local dealer has had the car 3 times in recent weeks to try and sort it but have been unable to make it go away and have raised a technical query with Ford. Has anyone else encountered this after updating their Sync 3 ??

This error can be caused by formatting your usb stick to fat32.  Did you format to fat32 or exFat?

Matt

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club