Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible Clutch Problem Help

andylloyd0808

I have noticed the last couple of weeks that my gears have seemed a bit stiff. When I was driving home from work on Friday, I struggled to get into gear and had to properly ram it into 2nd as if I hadn't pushed my clutch down at all. Once I was in gear, I stayed in 2nd all the way home stuck in traffic and my car was still trying to pull forward with my clutch down. I could even drive with my clutch down if I pressed the accelerator.

When I got home, I tried turning my engine off and on and the tension eased on my gears and I could move in and out of each gear as normal just from turning my engine off and on. I feel like my biting point is now much higher and that I have to rev more to get going.

I took it into the garage and they have had a look at it and can't find anything wrong with it. He said they've driven it for 18 miles with no issues. He has told me to go away and let the problem develop more and then take it back in.

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? I find it odd how turning my engine off and on resolved the gear issue. I'm a bit worried that it will just go completely when I'm driving one day.

Check brake fluid,  probably car got some air in clutch slave cylinder...  i dont think is a serious problem...

so at the start of the problem the biting point was far too low, now it is high.

Biting point too low could be a fluid problem (air in the fluid = needs bleeding), but seems strange it has then gone the other way. I suppose there is a chance that if the fluid level was a bit low, some more fluid could have gone into the pipe due to being on a gradient or something,  (cluid fluid is taken from brake fluid reservoir - the oultet into the clutch pipe being higher up than where the brake fluid feed from reservoir is).

I have had two cars in the past where the clucth biting point kept changing. This was in the days of clutch cables with adjusters on. On both of these cars I kept adjusting it to get it right and then a few minutes later it would seem to change again.

On both of these I had to resort to taking clutch out to see what was wrong.

One was - clutch lining had come away from the rivets holding it to the clutch plate.

the other was- fulcrum ring had broken in the clutch pressure plate.

Hope yours is a simpler fix

Thanks for the replies. I have just checked my brake fluid and it is above minimum but only about 1/5 full between min and max so I'll top it up later and see how it goes. At the moment, it is driving a bit better but it doesn't feel like it is pulling enough when lifting my clutch in 1st gear. Hopefully the brake fluid fixes it but it will no doubt be a long and expensive process instead

If u have air in line u have to bleed it, filling fluid wont fix that, this is not hard to do...

What engine and year is this Fiesta?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club