Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Using an old phone as a GPS Tracker

Luke4efc
聽Share

So I'm after a better car soon and figured I probably don't want it to get nicked and disappear off into the sunset never to be seen again. Therefore decided to get myself a tracker (and I don't mean the chocolate chip type馃槀).

I'm not a fan of these GPS trackers that lock you into one company and you get all your alerts via SMS. Thought it might be best to take and old android phone and use google maps to track the location. I have a few spare sim cards that get 200mb of data for free every month without the need to top up so don't need to pay anything on a monthly basis.

Has anyone tried this before? If so what do you do about charging? Would I come back after the weekend to find my car battery has lost all its charge? Or will the phone use that little juice I could leave it for weeks and not notice?

I guess nobody on here has then Haha.

Sorry mate. I did read this but didn't have anything informative to contribute. I would say that having a phone plugged in all the time would drain the battery. I know GPS trackers use very little where as a phones charge rate even on standby would be quiet high.

Other option is a cheap Chinese one?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Would I come back after the weekend to find my car battery has lost all its charge? Or will the phone use that little juice I could leave it for weeks and not notice?

聽It would all depend on what the phone,s stand by time was after a full charge without having it on charge in the car.

Edited by eddie eastwood
more info

Hehe thanks for the replys.

I though as much about the battery. I've seen you can get hardwire kits (mainly for dashcams) that include low voltage protection and also little PCB's that are Low Voltage Protectors that you install yourself.

In terms of a cheap unit other than a phone, I really don't want one that uses SMS to receive the location. I was kinda hoping to rely on my free data plan so I never have to worry about how much credit is left. If I could find something like that then I would 100% buy that instead of using an old phone.

What company do you get the data from? I'd be interested in something similar (although using a 3G dongle with the head unit to achieve the same thing).

That tracker looks good. Will have to install it somewhere better than the OBD port. That's the first thing thieves look at to try and start the car (without the key anyway obviously). It's currently on a lightning deal so only 拢30.

I got my sim from Three - link here.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club