Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Lock Malfunction Service now

Rizal

i got a warning message on my Fiesta ecoboost "Steering lock malfunction service Now"

the car cannot start , it is with the keyless start once i press the start that message come out.

\Several attempt based on any info in the net sttill not helping

1 try to move the steering left right  2 take out the batery leave several minute 3 clean batery plug to make sure electrick good 4 check with new batery replacement

all that attemp failed, now the car being towed to Ford service and they dont seems have any idea too what to do.

please help anyone have this problem before

2 hours ago, Rizal said:

now the car being towed to Ford service and they dont seems have any idea too what to do

Can't say I've seen this issue before, but Ford should be able to check the steering lock via diagnostics as it's an electrical component on vehicles with keyless start.

Either the lock itself has failed and will need replacing or there's a wiring fault. 

• 8 months later...

I have the same problem now with my Ford Mondeo 2015. Do you know what the exact problem was? 

• 3 months later...

I had this problem on my 2019 fiesta with keyless ignition the battery went flat during lock down and when I started it the electric steering wheel lock would not disengage it said steering lock fault refer to manual I disconnected the battery and fully charged it and when I reconnected it was all ok.Same as unplug it and pug it in again really

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ray Flanagan said:

I had this problem on my 2019 fiesta with keyless ignition the battery went flat during lock down and when I started it the electric steering wheel lock would not disengage it said steering lock fault refer to manual I disconnected the battery and fully charged it and when I reconnected it was all ok.Same as unplug it and pug it in again really

The issue is caused by disconnecting the battery (or allowing it to run flat) like you say 🙂

Had the problem last year but a BCU unplug and reconnect sorted it for me.

Hey, I’ve had the same problem steering lock malfunction service since since I let my battery go flat from not using the car because of the lockdown. 

The AA came out to get the battery started and then realised the steering issue. Is the BCU unplug and reconnect something that the AA should be able to do or will the car have to go back to fords to sort out?

I would try myself but have no clue when it comes to fixing issues on cars. 

All the best 

Martin

9 hours ago, Martin85 said:

Hey, I’ve had the same problem steering lock malfunction service since since I let my battery go flat from not using the car because of the lockdown. 

The AA came out to get the battery started and then realised the steering issue. Is the BCU unplug and reconnect something that the AA should be able to do or will the car have to go back to fords to sort out?

I would try myself but have no clue when it comes to fixing issues on cars. 

All the best 

Martin

Hi Martin. The BCU unplug/reconnect can be done by the AA (or by anyone according to the AA guy).  It's as simple as it sounds.  Unclip the cover on the box, unplug both the chunky connectors (think there's 2 identical ones IIRC) then plug them back in.

It's kinda just a reset of some of the control systems.  When the AA guy came out he just read the code, then immediately knew the fix.  He said he'd seen a few of the newer Fords with it.

My original thread with a little more information is here (skip to page 2):

The connectors in question:

IMG_20190611_132443.jpg.7d5f2a7c0074e5ce

IMG_20190611_132516.jpg.eb04733021e6b904

( Thanks iantt 🙂 )

• 8 months later...

Hi, thanks for the post. We had the same issue on my son's mk8 fiesta saying steering lock malfunction. The car was then refusing to start. This occured when we changed the battery. We tried disconnecting both of the connectors from the BCU for 1 minute and then reconnecting but it did not clear the fault. We tried twice. We then disconnected and reconnected the battery and the car stopped reporting the fault and was happy to start and appears normal again.

BTW we found that eurocarparts reports the battery as a type 100 but that is not tall enough and it is actually a type 096 which is 15mm taller. Anyway I purchased the replacement battery from eBay at less than 25% of their price. I now have the dilemma do I put a wooden plank in the bottom of the battery box to lift up the battery up or do I purchase a type 096.

Out of interest, do any of you good folk know if this BCU disconnect / reconnect would solve problem of stop/start not working? Have tried the battery management reset tricky mentioned elsewhere but it didn't seem to work on mine 😣

1 hour ago, wordchild said:

Out of interest, do any of you good folk know if this BCU disconnect / reconnect would solve problem of stop/start not working? Have tried the battery management reset tricky mentioned elsewhere but it didn't seem to work on mine 😣

CHARGE YOUR battery

This time of year cold, lights on drains battery.

Happens on all car manufacturers.

• 4 months later...

im having the same sort of problem , the battery lost a bit of charge while i was fitting front parking sensors [had ignitin on/off for 30 minutes.] now i get in the car and try to start it ,it wont crank or start and shows ESC service now ,Front camera malfunction service now,Full accessory power active, See manual. please can anyone help as the car is for my fatherinlaw and he is driving me nuts

• 8 months later...

Hi, 

I've had the same problem, and I solved it by changing the old battery and reset the Steering wheel control module by pulling the fuse No 72. that is located under the glove box.

Hope it helps you.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club