Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 3 Won't Rev And Lacks Power

interele

Thank you for reading this. It's a long story so pull up a chair and pour yourself a drink and listen to my tale of woes.

I have posted this problem to a couple of Mondeo forums, so my apologies if you have already seen this somewhere before.

Also the car has now been to the garage 3 times now and it is still rubbish. It is getting to a point that I am thinking of

selling it and buying an Austin Allegro ..... ( and believe me I had one in the 1980s and it was better than my

Mondeo at the moment )

OK

Mondeo 04 2.5 V6 Ghia X Auto

Start it up in the morning - for the first mile it goes like stink

Then it dies - it won't rev over 3000 and won't change gear

Pressing the gas does nothing until it kicks down and you end up going slower - letting up on the gas won't make it change up again

After about another mile or so it picks up and is OK but a bit gutless for a 2.5

Sometimes it goes really well- the engine purrs and fuel consumption is 20 - 25 +

Sometimes it doesn't - it won't go over 3000 rpm the engine sounds awful ( loud and hollow ) and fuel consumption goes down to 10 mpg ish

Now the interesting bit

Drive it around until it's hot and park up for half an hour or so then start it up again - it absolutely flies for about 5-10 miles

then it goes back to being a bit random. Also if I get stuck in traffic for a while it goes really well afterwards for a mile or so

So far it's had a full service, a ECT sensor and a MAF sensor. It passed it's MOT 3 days ago and the emissions were spot on

I have been over it with a magnifying glass looking for spit hoses to no avail

Has anyone had this or know how to fix it

Ta

M

have codes been read by the garage. there are people on the site who can decifer them?

have codes been read by the garage. there are people on the site who can decifer them?

There are aren't any codes, thats the odd thing. The garage have plugged their

computer in and the cars computer answers "Everything is fine, thank you"

It's got to be temperature related somehow.... I was driving around this afternoon

and it was terrible. I have been home now for about 45-50mins and I just nipped

up the road and it was so fast it was scary. Tomorrow it will be rubbish again after

the first mile

It's driving me nuts !

:-(

M

There are aren't any codes, thats the odd thing. The garage have plugged their

computer in and the cars computer answers "Everything is fine, thank you"

It's got to be temperature related somehow.... I was driving around this afternoon

and it was terrible. I have been home now for about 45-50mins and I just nipped

up the road and it was so fast it was scary. Tomorrow it will be rubbish again after

the first mile

It's driving me nuts !

:-(

M

has anyone changed the engine temprature sensor? doesnt always throw a code and could be telling the ecu the cars hot when its cold and cold when its hot theres also the slim chance its gearbox related the mrs dad had a zafira auto with almost similar symptomsd it turned out to be the computer programming for the gearbox its unlikely but a possibility ide be looking at the temp sensors strange theres still no codes

It's had a new engine coolant temperature sensor

It made no difference at all !!

M

It's had a new engine coolant temperature sensor

It made no difference at all !!

M

it could be either the cat or the lambda sensors but you say the emissions are fine i think its time to head to ford so they can check it on live data

it could be either the cat or the lambda sensors but you say the emissions are fine i think its time to head to ford so they can check it on live data

just a thought but....

is the fuel tank vent blocked? I had a similar prob on a car years ago and the vent was blocked so pump couldn't pull fuel out of the tank as a vacuum depeloped after the car had been running for a few minutes. Let the car stand and air leaked in to the tank. Ran fine at first then happened al over again.

just a thought but....

is the fuel tank vent blocked? I had a similar prob on a car years ago and the vent was blocked so pump couldn't pull fuel out of the tank as a vacuum depeloped after the car had been running for a few minutes. Let the car stand and air leaked in to the tank. Ran fine at first then happened al over again.

I've tried driving a bit , then stopping and opening the fuel cap and so on and it doesn't make any difference :-(

M

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club