Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do any of the new fiesta 1.0 ecoboost MK8 have any engine problems

mulkman

Hi Guys,

Looking to buy a 2017/2018 Ford Fiesta with the 1.0 ecoboost engine

I am aware that their was a recall on the 2014/15 models due to the quality of the coolant hose.

Have their been any reported issues with the newer engines (engine problems / failures)

Had mine for nearly two years and it hasn't missed a beat. Never had to top up the coolant level. No leaks of any sort.

Only done low mileage (7,000) in 16 months with mine, but no engine issues at all. 

Thanks for confirming...

Also does your engine shake/vibrate when you lift the bonnet... and if so has it always done that since you first bought it new

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Only done low mileage (7,000) in 16 months with mine, but no engine issues at all. 

Thanks for confirming, 

Does the engine shake whilst idle when you open the bonnet

20 minutes ago, mulkman said:

No idea I'm afraid - never had reason to look while it was running!😀

I do about 7000 miles a year and the car has now done 40000 miles.   It's still as sweet as a nut.

Engine fine, gearbox not so much..

16 minutes ago, primus1960 said:

Engine fine, gearbox not so much..

Got to be better than the ib5 from the Mk7 though. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jbell said:

Got to be better than the ib5 from the Mk7 though. 

Nope..not mine

clunky from first to second , won’t go in second gear sometimes, or will but not smoothly, sometimes hard to get out of second, when I got it it had a lovely slick, smooth action in all gears, now not so much, only done 10000, dealer not interested even though they have driven the car, getting rid at the first opportunity, and get something else...

Just traded in my ST-Line 140 last week due to problems, mainly EML kept coming on

Parts replaced

Body control module, Power control module, OBD port, ECU, O2 sensor

Also had headlight replaced due to defect

We've had our 1.0 ecoboost 100 for 6 months now, no issues.

On 7/2/2019 at 3:34 PM, mulkman said:

Thanks for confirming, 

On 7/2/2019 at 3:54 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

No idea I'm afraid - never had reason to look while it was running!😀

Have now checked for you and can confirm that it shakes considerably at idle and sounds like an old diesel with the bonnet open. I'd heard this was the case - shows how effective the engine mounts and soundproofing are, as it seems very smooth and quiet from inside the car.

Had mine since November last year. No issues yet.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:51 PM, primus1960 said:

clunky from first to second , won’t go in second gear sometimes, or will but not smoothly, sometimes hard to get out of second, when I got it it had a lovely slick, smooth action in all gears, now not so much

As I've mentioned elsewhere, mine is a bit "clunky" from 1st to 2nd, better if taking it slowly. Other gears are perfectly ok, not the slickest Ford box I've ever had but does seem to be a bit better for a few more miles. Getting into reverse is a definite improvement on previous 5 speed Fiestas though.

• Like 1

It’s hard to describe, it’s as though you can feel the cogs as you change up, through the box, almost like a synchro has gone I try to do it slower but seems to make little difference, although just done 1000miles on a weeks hols in Cornwall and it seemed a little better, might need a different gearbox oil?, if that’s possible?, it was definitely a hell of a lot smoother when new, very precise,slick, and very smooth, what pees me off most though ,is the dealer doesn’t want to know, I especially went to this dealer as it is a small family run ford franchise, thinking that they would be more interested in looking after their customers, rather than the big multinational chain at the other side of town, I will mention it again as it’s not far off a service,see what happens, maybe I’ll just have to live with it, shame really,as it’s a lovely car

Going a bit off topic here (as usual😀) so apologies to the OP. I did ask my dealer to see what they thought of my box, check the linkage etc but they said they found nothing amiss. They did add however that several customers had mentioned the point.

Interesting what you say about your dealer, I use somewhere similar for the same reasons and something seems to have changed since I last had a car from there a few years back. Not the staff, most of them are still the same, but phrases like "we have to go by the prices quoted on the Ford computer", or "we can only do what Ford will allow" seem to crop up.

With Ford's reported issues in Europe there may well be a cull of smaller outlets on the way and they are trying to toe the line. Already seen a lot of changes in my area where what were family businesses/small chains have lost franchises or been swallowed up into the likes of Evans Halshaws etc.

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Going a bit off topic here (as usual😀) so apologies to the OP. I did ask my dealer to see what they thought of my box, check the linkage etc but they said they found nothing amiss. They did add however that several customers had mentioned the point.

Interesting what you say about your dealer, I use somewhere similar for the same reasons and something seems to have changed since I last had a car from there a few years back. Not the staff, most of them are still the same, but phrases like "we have to go by the prices quoted on the Ford computer", or "we can only do what Ford will allow" seem to crop up.

With Ford's reported issues in Europe there may well be a cull of smaller outlets on the way and they are trying to toe the line. Already seen a lot of changes in my area where what were family businesses/small chains have lost franchises or been swallowed up into the likes of Evans Halshaws etc.

Wonder if there’s going to be an issue with the gearbox like the eco boost engines..?

On 7/4/2019 at 10:14 PM, primus1960 said:

Wonder if there’s going to be an issue with the gearbox like the eco boost engines..?

As mine seems to be improving with mileage, I'm not particularly worried about it. At one time, I would have done 30,000 or so in the car by now, so would know for sure if it loosens with mileage, but as I only potter about these days, it takes a lot longer! 

If it was like yours however, and had started off smooth and precise but got worse, I would be inclined to pursue it while it's still under warranty, possibly trying a different dealer if still unhappy with the response.

I had my warranty extended by ford due to a mix up over extras fitted/not fitted to the car so it’s covered for five years 

is it worth going to another dealer?, after all I didn’t buy it from them so will they be interested?

beginning to think mine might be a clutch issue as all the gears don’t feel right, although 1&2 are the worst, even if I change slowly

3 hours ago, primus1960 said:

beginning to think mine might be a clutch issue

That could be a possibility. Personally, I'd always try and pursue it with the supplying dealer first, but the Ford warranty refers to taking it to an authorised dealer for warranty repairs, not necessarily the one who sold you the car. Or you could try your luck with Ford CRC - seems to have worked for some members.

Edit PS: might be worth opening a separate topic for Mk 8 gearbox/clutch problems in case others have similar issues?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club