Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Charger pad woes

VFR800

5 minutes ago, Nard said:

Built in March this year. I'm still running in (100 miles so far) so no hard braking yet. Lol

If I'm correct, that's 2020.25my build so I guess from that build onwards.

I'd expect it possible just to be able to buy the rubber mat part and it will fit olders model years.

Doesn't look like any of the surrounding plastic has changed, just the mat itself.

• 1 month later...

Ordered the updated mat from my local dealer today, get it tomorrow. £10 inc VAT. 😁

Part number: 2424210

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, colinmcg71 said:

Ordered the updated mat from my local dealer today, get it tomorrow. £10 inc VAT. 😁

Part number: 2424210

Let us know if it fits ok, I'll probably order one too.

8 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Let us know if it fits ok, I'll probably order one too.

Will do.

From this video it looks like the new mat is thinner and more grippy. Hopefully it’ll work well.

I wish there was a way to turn the pad off. If I'm using Carplay I have it plugged in to USB and don't want it cooking on the pad, it can power just from USB. There isn't really a good spot to have it for carplay/adnroid auto without it on the pad.

27 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I wish there was a way to turn the pad off. If I'm using Carplay I have it plugged in to USB and don't want it cooking on the pad, it can power just from USB. There isn't really a good spot to have it for carplay/adnroid auto without it on the pad.

Can't you plug it in to the armrest USB port? That's where I put mine.

Just now, Frowma said:

Can't you plug it in to the armrest USB port? That's where I put mine.

Where do you put the phone while it's plugged in there? Is the tray big enough?

i got the wireless charger for free in my 2019 vignale. Its a waste of time. The new design looks like an improvement and they could probably retrofit that (by the look of it, its just a rubber mat). but really, what is the point. to use Apple carplay/Android auto, your gonna have to plug in your phone anyway.

15 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Where do you put the phone while it's plugged in there? Is the tray big enough?

There are two channels either side of the lid, the USB cable comes out of there (the lid can then close) and the phone sits sideways right in front of the armrest. My old phone was just short enough to sit in the armrest (under the tray) itself while plugged in, my new one is a little taller and I'd need a right angled plug for it to fit.

IMG_20200825_112716_HDR.jpg

1 minute ago, Frowma said:

There are two channels either side of the lid, the USB cable comes out of there (the lid can then close) and the phone sits sideways right in front of the armrest. My old phone was just short enough to sit in the armrest itself while plugged in, my new one is a little taller and I'd need a right angled plug for it to fit.

IMG_20200825_112716_HDR.jpg

I don't have that area in front of my armrest. 😞

17 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I don't have that area in front of my armrest. 😞

Has yours got the adjustable cup holder area? Mine has two individual holes.

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Yeah I thought the same when using CarPlay. Ended up just placing the phone face down instead.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, colinmcg71 said:

Yeah I thought the same when using CarPlay. Ended up just placing the phone face down instead.

Such a simple solution, can't believe I didn't think of that, haha!

• Haha 1

Converted my car play to wireless using one of these dongles - reviews are mixed but generally works pretty well in my Focus - they have rolled out updates recently which improved the device for me quite a lot to manage to get good use out of my wireless pad!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089M7TPNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EJqrFb9DASGD2

1 minute ago, simps100 said:

Converted my car play to wireless using one of these dongles - reviews are mixed but generally works pretty well in my Focus - they have rolled out updates recently which improved the device for me quite a lot to manage to get good use out of my wireless pad!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089M7TPNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EJqrFb9DASGD2

Honest question, what's the point? £140, what difference does it do to being plugged into USB?

1 minute ago, shawty1984 said:

Honest question, what's the point? £140, what difference does it do to being plugged into USB?

Personally just like the convenience of getting in the car with phone still in pocket and going - admittedly it’s more convenient for shorter journeys where in the past id just not bother plugging it in rather than longer drives. 

3 minutes ago, simps100 said:

Personally just like the convenience of getting in the car with phone still in pocket and going - admittedly it’s more convenient for shorter journeys where in the past id just not bother plugging it in rather than longer drives. 

I mean I get it, it just seems a lot of money to solve something so trivial. 

3 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

I mean I get it, it just seems a lot of money to solve something so trivial. 

I see your point - I did have an amazon voucher laying around from Christmas and there was a % off so I did end up paying just under £70 in cash for mine which did soften the blow a bit!

It’s a shame Ford are still not offering wireless car play sounds like will need to wait till Sync 4 for that.

7 minutes ago, simps100 said:

I see your point - I did have an Amazon voucher laying around from Christmas and there was a % off so I did end up paying just under £70 in cash for mine which did soften the blow a bit!

It’s a shame Ford are still not offering wireless car play sounds like will need to wait till Sync 4 for that.

To be fair, we pay so much for these cars, that its a drop in the ocean really but it's something I'd not pay for. Is there any chance an update to Sync 3 could happen to allow wireless AA and Carplay or is it hardware related. 

2 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

To be fair, we pay so much for these cars, that its a drop in the ocean really but it's something I'd not pay for. Is there any chance an update to Sync 3 could happen to allow wireless AA and Carplay or is it hardware related. 

Needs appropriate hardware/certifications

Hi everyone,

I've been using Carplai2Air dongle in my car for about a month. It's cheaper then the one mentioned above. Regular software updates as well. 

https://carplay2air.com

It even works with Sync 3.4

Hope this might help someone

Dealer didn’t get a delivery today, lorry broke down. Hopefully new mat tomorrow...

Got the new mat today. Vast improvement. The old one would have disconnected as soon as I started moving. This updated mat did not stop charging at all on the drive home which includes a quite tight turning slip road off the motorway. Highly recommended and well worth the £10 it cost. 

24D8FE42-325E-47C8-B496-28080EDC0794.jpeg

6ADA6231-CAA0-425C-BEAA-68FD7B2D46A1.jpeg

B5E036CF-EFB8-4250-BB04-6C6BEB3D5BE5.jpeg

• Like 2

Picked one up for myself today too. Only asked my dealer at 16:40 yesterday 😄

I'm still going to keep my pad at the back (towards front of the car) in place, but it's much more secure and keeps it lined up with the charger now. I slid it up and down and it never stopped charging.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club