Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need some advice, time to get rid?

addiosamigo

Hi guys, as the post states need some advice. 

My clutch is starting to go, the garage has said that to get the replaced they would advise another part to be replaced (flywheel?) So it's going to be £400. 

I noticed from my service history that this was advised at the start of 2018, I purchased the car Dec 2018.

I noticed the gear change isn't as smooth and its sometimes hard to get into certain gears, hence why I took it in.

My advisories from my last MOT in November were suspension arm bush worn O/S and N/S.

In 2018 it was advised that the rear suspension coils were corroded and needed replacing soon, and the rear brake shoes were wearing low (not sure why that isn't on the last MOT though)

So my question is will this cost a lot of money to replace? 

Shall I cut my losses and sell? I can't afford a new or even slightly expensive older car as I'm saving for a house Deposit but I don't want a bill in November when the MOT is due. 

What would you guys do?

Thanks

Tricky one when you are strapped for cash, what you need to do is get a quote from a trusted  garage and take it from there my gut feeling is this work is about a £1000, what you have to weigh up is what else you can get  for that money, if the rest of the car is ok i would spend on it. As for the brake wear its just that a year on makes a difference.

i would also query why you have left some jobs so long and if these advisories where on the car why did you buy it, i may ave missed a point here.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Tricky one when you are strapped for cash, what you need to do is get a quote from a trusted  garage and take it from there my gut feeling is this work is about a £1000, what you have to weigh up is what else you can get  for that money, if the rest of the car is ok i would spend on it. As for the brake wear its just that a year on makes a difference.

i would also query why you have left some jobs so long and if these advisories where on the car why did you buy it, i may ave missed a point here.

1k? Ouch. 

I only saw all the jobs that needed doing after I brought the car 🙈

I already spent 300 on the cambelt change a few months after I purchased it! 

I didn't think the advisories were that much of big deal as I don't really know much about cars.

I had a similar dilemma on a Mondeo. Clutch and DMF. In the end I got it done, what I did notice though was there was a huge variation in the price of clutch and flywheel parts. In the end I found a garage that was happy to shop around the Factors to get the best price rather than go to the usual garage i use who will only use 1 Factor I checked this one out and they were expensive. LUK are normally the go to brand for a clutch or flywheel but if you are on a budget there are other brands to consider. Probably looking at 4-6 hours labour too.

41 minutes ago, addiosamigo said:

I noticed the gear change isn't as smooth and its sometimes hard to get into certain gears, hence why I took it in

You say your clutch "is starting to go". What exactly do you mean by that, what have the garage told you about it, and why do they think you need a new flywheel? Your description quoted here suggests it's suffering from clutch drag rather than slip which would indicate it's not fully releasing. This could be down to a faulty slave cylinder, which would involve the same amount (and cost) of labour as changing the clutch and/or flywheel, or a problem with the master cylinder or just simply air in the system.

What engine is it and what's the mileage? If it's a diesel it will have a dual-mass flywheel (DMF) but I don't think petrols of that age did have, hopefully one of the experts can confirm that or otherwise. DMFs can start to give trouble at high mileages but there's usually some indication, such as rattling when in neutral, to show they're on the way out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mjt said:

You say your clutch "is starting to go". What exactly do you mean by that, what have the garage told you about it, and why do they think you need a new flywheel? Your description quoted here suggests it's suffering from clutch drag rather than slip which would indicate it's not fully releasing. This could be down to a faulty slave cylinder, which would involve the same amount (and cost) of labour as changing the clutch and/or flywheel, or a problem with the master cylinder or just simply air in the system.

What engine is it and what's the mileage? If it's a diesel it will have a dual-mass flywheel (DMF) but I don't think petrols of that age did have, hopefully one of the experts can confirm that or otherwise. DMFs can start to give trouble at high mileages but there's usually some indication, such as rattling when in neutral, to show they're on the way out.

Sorry, I got my father in law to take it in, and they said it's starting to go, didnt go into details. But I noticed in 2018 one of the service reciepts said 'clutch slipping, advise replacement.

I think the slave cylinder is the part that would get replaced as well as the clutch come to think about it, it was a phone call I took and when they said 400 I just thought I ain't paying that! 

I get trouble when shifting into 3rd and reverse, I thought it was the gearbox but I obviously know nothing about cars! 

I don't really want to pay over 500, then for something else to go wrong. I know I could have the same issues with another car, but I guess that's the risk I'll have to take.

It's a 2005, petrol 1.6 with 102k.

16 minutes ago, Pokelet said:

I had a similar dilemma on a Mondeo. Clutch and DMF. In the end I got it done, what I did notice though was there was a huge variation in the price of clutch and flywheel parts. In the end I found a garage that was happy to shop around the Factors to get the best price rather than go to the usual garage i use who will only use 1 Factor I checked this one out and they were expensive. LUK are normally the go to brand for a clutch or flywheel but if you are on a budget there are other brands to consider. Probably looking at 4-6 hours labour too.

Yeah I'm not sure the parts are that expensive, it's just the labour! How much did you pay? 

1 hour ago, addiosamigo said:

Yeah I'm not sure the parts are that expensive, it's just the labour! How much did you pay? 

My friend recently had his clutch done, same engine as yours, £410 all in.  

Personally, I don't understand abandoning a car to just buy another one of a similar age/budget that will also go wrong. If you were able to buy a newer, lower mileage then maybe yes, jump ship. The 1.6 petrol is a decent engine, so I would say, if it's been looked after, and has a good service history then get the work done.  Just my opinion for what it's worth 🙂

• Like 1

My Mondeo clutch & DMF was £950 all in with VAT. I really doubt an '05 1.6 petrol will have a DMF (euro car parts don't list any flywheels for your setup)

Part ex you won't get much. If it's a tidy car, good history and for an 05 it's fairly low mileage get the job done. If you end up going for something else you run a very real risk of buying someone else's problems they didn't want to fix.

I've had a MK1 and MK2 Focus, both 1.6 petrol. Looked after they are brilliant.

Punch your reg into euro car parts and see what your options are it'll give you an idea of price. Or email a few garages for a quote, it's such a common car it won't be the first Clutch they will have done on a mk 2

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club