Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New to Duratec - Is some pinging normal ?

Nephalem

Hi there folks !

New to the Petrol 2.0 Duratec.

Mine is a 50k miles one, with full service history taken from the Dealer themselves. 

At night, when there are no background noises, and you rev the car to 2000-3000RPM, you can hear an accurate pinging that goes along the regular vaccume sound of the engine.  Not the classic rod bearing sound, but more of a plastic-type rattle that is perfectly synced with the revs.

I used to think it's detonation, but it's so accurate with the revs that it can't be pre ignition.

I looked at the pully system and found a slightly worn idler. The one closest to the headlight. I replaced it but still the same noise. 

Is your duratec making the same noise ? Like plastic type Trrrrrr Trrrrrrrrrr perfectly synced with the rest. I have a video if you want to PM me your whatsapp or facebook.

Two mechanics said it was "normal" but I think they just didn't have time for me.

So...

1. What do you think it could be ? 

2. If it was bad pistons/Bearings, would I know for sure ? I mean, when these go bad, they go bad gradually, or instantly sound like crap ? 

This is normal for a duratec my 1.8 pinks occasionally.  Big ends would make a very loud knock and mains tend to rumble.  They are good engines if looked after.  oil consumption can be an issue on some engines.  Mine so far doesn't use any and it's coming up for 90,000 miles.  The throttle body could do with cleaning sometimes as well.   Also worth disconnecting the battery over night and reconnect in the morning.  Let it run for 20 mins without touching the throttle.  This resets the cars dBm.

• Like 1

My Dad had a few Mk1 Mondeo's with 1.8/2.0 petrols, they all used to pink (but he does like to labour engines!) and he swore by using premium fuel to stop it...  Might be worth trying some to see if there's any change?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club