Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Random reboot/restart whilst parking - twice today

undercoveredge

Hi

We bought a 2017 Edge a couple of months ago with around 15k miles on the clock - and have been really enjoying it.  However, I drove it for our longest journey in it yet today to the south coast - around 140 miles - and when I next got in the car to move parking space, the car rebooted abruptly.  It did it again at my next destination - complete reboot.  I had to change the temp to Celsius ( default Fahrenheit ) but the car restarted after shifting back to park with no other signs of the reboot.   I was reluctant to drive it home, but it behaved all the way home this evening.  Has anyone else experience this?

Thanks

Mike

In a word No. I can’t recall ever reading that either. You can force a reboot of the sync system but this removes your phone pairings and changes Celsius to Fahrenheit, but I’ve never heard of the car doing it itself. Have you checked your battery condition in case it is not being charged properly and the intelligent bits are disconnecting non essential items in favour of being able to start the car ??  Just an idea. 

Situation worsened. Currently awaiting RAC as went into limp mode and spanner symbol displayed. On a roundabout too. My nearest ford garage cannot fit it in for 4 weeks.....not a happy bunny.

It starts with no errors, but not prepared to risk it happening at speed 

Sounds like a battery or electrical issue to me! You need to check the battery volts both engine off (> 11v) and engine on (>14.5v). Maybe your alternators shot!

The limp mode can be linked to a faulty sensor for the Diesel Particulate Filter. That doesn’t explain the random reboot unless the voltage is dropping far too low, suggesting a dodgy alternator as Simon suggested above.  Does it normally fire up quickly when you start it, or does it turn over a few times first ?

Hi guys - many thanks for your feedback

What a frustrating day! A day's holiday wasted. So my local franchise managed to get me booked into the Sudbury branch tomorrow ( rather than wait for 4 weeks for my nearest one ) - and I waited a few hours for the RAC to turn up.  I am so frustrated with myself for not taking a snoop around the engine bay, but he immediately discovered the positive terminal was completely loose - to the point he just lifted it off with his finger.  I also noticed that both clips on the air filter were unclipped and the lid loose - whoever serviced this car a couple of months ago ( a Ford main dealer ) must have done it on a Friday afternoon....

Anyhoo - the RAC guy said the loose connection would probably have thrown loads of false codes - he plugged in the reader and there were loads of 'low voltage' and suchlike - the only one that really stuck out was a  fuel rail pressure reading - within range but lower that expected or suchlike.  To be sure he was happy for me to drive it ( rather than wait for a relay truck ) - he cleared the codes ( emailed them to me first ) and we took it for a spin - no new codes were thrown.  I have dropped it off to Ford to take an extra  look ( it was bought as an approved Ford and had just been serviced by Ford so the loose stuff is on Ford IMHO ) - I am just glad I didn't get rear-ended on the roundabout today and the family are safe.

If there is anything useful to report from the dealership I will post it here

Thanks again

• Like 2

Sounds like a simple fix to a stupid mistake by the supplying dealer. Fingers crossed for you that there will be no more issues. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club