Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led headlights

Dss_9_7

I think you meant to say "its dangerous to NOT see where you are going" 🤣

• Haha 2

I was chatting about this problem with my optometrist when I had my regular check up earlier in the year. He laid the blame squarely on modern headlamps and commented that it was probably the most frequent concern expressed by his customers of all ages who drive. 
I'm 'relatively' young but at 36 I spoke to my optician about exactly the same thing and was told similar to you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I too have problems with oncoming lights from other cars. I had a photograph taken the other day which involved having my pupils dilated before hand. Walked home and nearly got run over twice due to people parking across crossing and all I could see was a sheet of white light coming the other way. I tend to avoid driving in the dark as much as I can for this reason. PS I was also reluctant to drive at 20 years of age for the same reasons

2 hours ago, shiwarrior said:

I think you meant to say "its dangerous to NOT see where you are going" 🤣

In Scottish it means what you say just not in typing I guess 🖕😂

So it's perfectly fine to dazzle other road users so that THEY can't see where they're going? 

I'm wondering if those special yellow tinted driving glasses would help... 🤔Years ago I had some RAF flying goggles just for fun as I drove an old convertible, but they did seem to enhance the  visibility somehow. 

So it's perfectly fine to dazzle other road users so that THEY can't see where they're going? 
I'm wondering if those special yellow tinted driving glasses would help... [emoji848]Years ago I had some RAF flying goggles just for fun as I drove an old convertible, but they did seem to enhance the  visibility somehow. 
I have tried the yellow tinted glasses, they didn't seem to help unfortunately. I find if I close my eyes until the other car passes then it's not too bad

• Haha 3

curiously enough, I initially installed 5K HIDs and whilst brighter, they were actually terrible. eventually I installed 4.3K. 

Its to do with wave lengths and reflection / Scatter / absorption, anyhow, turns out, then the colour of most roads is perfect for making it hard to see 5K light. the Yellow look provides less scatter and thus more light reflected back in to your eyes 🙂

Or something like that. Its all to easy to see that they are brighter up against a wall or a garage door or even looking at them, but bright does not equate to seeing more 

• Like 2

LEDs in reflector housing can work, but the problem is that there's no consensus of quality or standards and the market has been flooded with cheap/knock-off bulbs. I had LED Bulbs in my old MK II Focus which passed calibration/cut-off in the garage when they was fitted. However those bulbs was north of £150, I think it was Phillips but don't quote me on that.

curiously enough, I initially installed 5K HIDs and whilst brighter, they were actually terrible. eventually I installed 4.3K. 
Its to do with wave lengths and reflection / Scatter / absorption, anyhow, turns out, then the colour of most roads is perfect for making it hard to see 5K light. the Yellow look provides less scatter and thus more light reflected back in to your eyes [emoji846]
 Or something like that. Its all to easy to see that they are brighter up against a wall or a garage door or even looking at them, but bright does not equate to seeing more 

As I said above, 4300k is OEM temp

LEDs in reflector housing can work, but the problem is that there's no consensus of quality or standards and the market has been flooded with cheap/knock-off bulbs. I had LED bulbs in my old MK II Focus which passed calibration/cut-off in the garage when they was fitted. However those bulbs was north of £150, I think it was Phillips but don't quote me on that.
You're spot on there, I had expensive ones in my Mégane WSR and they passed MOT and all the beam tests and never got flashed. The problem comes because the cheap Chinese ***** one say 'H7R' but it means nothing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 8:49 PM, nicam49 said:

I'm wondering if those special yellow tinted driving glasses would help... 🤔Years ago I had some RAF flying goggles just for fun as I drove an old convertible, but they did seem to enhance the  visibility somehow. 

I have some Hoya yellow tints to my prescription specs, not cheap but a noticeable improvement.

As for overbright headlights....

There is a lovely phrase, " Reinforce the darkness". Sat behind your over bright headlights, which with a sharp dip cut off only illuminate a limited area, the unilluminated area is almost black.  Older headlights have a gradual fall off, so you can still see outside the dipped illuminated area.  Funnily enough, new cars need their foglights to come on when they go round corners, surely an admission that modern headlight design is lacking !

Should you have ever sat in a submarine control room in "Black Lighting" ie none, it is amazing what you can see after about 10 mins.  But the chance of getting any night sight on the road now is pretty remote.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club