Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3 Navigation maps installation - battery drain question

Padremo

Hi all.

Have just bought a 2017 Focus titanium x (moved from a 2001 Focus Ghia - I'm not 'into' cars so like to keep the same car for as long as possible)

So I've updated the Sync 3 software to latest version and now need to do the maps, but am wondering how much the battery will drain if I install the Sync 3 maps (over 20gb) with the car engine not running?  Ford say to do it on a long Journey, but when dealerships do the update for you I presume they don't go and drive your car for a couple of hours while it's installing (do they connect an external power source to the car?)  Is it OK to do it with the engine not running, running but the car is stationary or is it best to go on a drive while updating?

Thanks!

If you ask for your dealership to do it, they will charge you for it.  Its a while back when I updated my maps, and I think it took 40mins for the first part and then another 20, so I did it on a long journey.  I suppose if you have a secure driveway then you could do it with the engine running.  But as Ford specify, the engine does need to be running.

Can take up to 90mins to upload data in which time Sync3/Radio will shut down anyway without engine running that's why Ford say take it for a drive. You can stop car during update and it will pick up where it left off on restart. Dealer wont normally do it for you as they say its customers responsibility to update maps. 

I normally run USB updates with engine running and stationary unless I'm already planning on going somewhere.

I think they just recommend not to stay stationary over dry leaves (hot exhaust/cat)

I updated mine on the driveway with the engine running, I took the opportunity to do a forced regen and gave the car a good wash at the same time.

OK thanks all.  The driveway is secure and leaving it running while I wash it is a top idea!  Thanks 🙂

My wife loves it when we get a map update as we go a little run usually out to Clyde valley garden centres.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club