Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door edge protectors

JanWebster

Opened the door this morning and the plastic door edge guard dropped to the ground. The plastic has sheered right where the pivot attaches.

Annoying, but would this be covered by the warranty? And, if not, any recommendations on where to get a replacement. A quick look on eBay shows one dealer wanting £42 and another £36 for what looks like ten bobs worth of plastic.

I glued mine back together and attached it with black insulation tape. Mine has broken 3 times (The drivers side on was missing when I bought the car, dealer posted a replacement to me). Had 2 Focuses with these on, no trouble at all, the Fiesta is something else though!

To be honest I’ve paid for 2; not bothered with a warranty claim, despite the fact it’s a Ford Direct car with 2 years warranty left, however the last time it broke (two weeks ago) I did my repair and so far it’s still on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've owned my fiesta since August this 2019 and covered just 2,500miles. So far the passenger front door has jammed (with the passenger trapped in the car) once and both broken the plastic protector and damaged the paintwork and the driver's door has now broken twice on two separate occasions. The dealer so far has been very good at replacing and repairing, however as an engineer myself it is clear Ford has not done the much needed research and development into these door protectors and i have little faint in these protecting correctly and hence I intend to have mine removed/decommissioned from the car. Not to mention the safety implications of occupants being trapped in the car if the door protectors jams in the door!

19 hours ago, Adrian ABC said:

I've owned my fiesta since August this 2019 and covered just 2,500miles. So far the passenger front door has jammed (with the passenger trapped in the car) once and both broken the plastic protector and damaged the paintwork and the driver's door has now broken twice on two separate occasions. The dealer so far has been very good at replacing and repairing, however as an engineer myself it is clear Ford has not done the much needed research and development into these door protectors and i have little faint in these protecting correctly and hence I intend to have mine removed/decommissioned from the car. Not to mention the safety implications of occupants being trapped in the car if the door protectors jams in the door!

Just check mine on my 67 plate.  The two fronts work perfectly.  The two on the rear doors (that hardly ever get used) do retract and extend but they don't clip onto the edge of the doors.  Instead they hang about 5ml to the side serving no purpose.

I would never have spec'd them myself so if they fail completely I'll just have them removed rather than replaced. 

Pretty shoddy though I agree.

I was a bit dubious about these when I ordered mine, so gave them a miss. Don't think I'll be ticking the box next time round, either, by the sound of it! As others have said in other threads, I'd be much more interested in something to stop people banging their doors into my car.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I'd be much more interested in something to stop people banging their doors into my car.

Lol, that was exactly what I thought when I saw they were on the car I bought. 

• Like 1

I am going to run it past the dealer and see if they agree to replace. If yes,I will then remove the others and tuck them away so that they are "perfect" when it comes time to trade in

I wonder if being a four or two door model has an affect on the reliability of the mechanical device.

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped my car off at the dealers first thing this morning. According to them there have been issues with the door-guard-mechanism, so they will be replacing all four under warranty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JanWebster said:

Dropped my car off at the dealers first thing this morning. According to them there have been issues with the door-guard-mechanism, so they will be replacing all four under warranty.

Thanks for the update Janet.  I'll add them to my list of things the next time I need to take mine in.

''This thread is useless without pics''..... In other words .....I'm curious what the guards look like ??

Same problem exists on the MK4 Focus .If the doors aren't opened often the door protectors fail to deploy fully.

• 1 year later...
On 11/19/2019 at 2:28 PM, tef89 said:

Just check mine on my 67 plate.  The two fronts work perfectly.  The two on the rear doors (that hardly ever get used) do retract and extend but they don't clip onto the edge of the doors.  Instead they hang about 5ml to the side serving no purpose.

I would never have spec'd them myself so if they fail completely I'll just have them removed rather than replaced. 

Pretty shoddy though I agree.

Got mine booked in tomorrow to have them all looked at, the only one working properly is the driver side rear passenger door. Hopefully we’ll get them sorted. Watch this space...

5 hours ago, Jollyandy said:

Got mine booked in tomorrow to have them all looked at, the only one working properly is the driver side rear passenger door. Hopefully we’ll get them sorted. Watch this space...

Keep us updated on this, had a look at mine earlier and not a single one of them open fully and pop onto the edge of the door making them 100% useless. So will get them to fix them under warranty if you're successful. 

Although ive only ever took note of the drivers door which did work fine when I bought the car a few months ago, so I wonder if cold weather could affect them, or just putting some oil in the gaps might fix them..

Problem is like somebody mentioned, its not me opening my doors into things that is the problem..its peoples doors into me

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FezMan said:

Problem is like somebody mentioned, its not me opening my doors into things that is the problem..its peoples doors into me

Agreed.  I suppose they're useful for people that park in garages.

On 11/19/2019 at 2:56 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I was a bit dubious about these when I ordered mine, so gave them a miss. Don't think I'll be ticking the box next time round, either, by the sound of it! As others have said in other threads, I'd be much more interested in something to stop people banging their doors into my car.

In the "old" days you used to get a rubber strip running down the side of the car- a good idea they should bring back!

Review: Ford Fiesta (2002 – 2008) | Honest John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiexen said:

In the "old" days you used to get a rubber strip running down the side of the car- a good idea they should bring back!

Doesn't work as doors are all at different heights and cars are different lengths.  Could just bring back courtesy and consideration for other peoples property instead. :whistling:  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tiexen said:

I can't agree with you here, otherwise we'll all end up with cars that look like those Citroens which look like they've had mattresses strapped to the doors 🤣

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Doesn't work as doors are all at different heights and cars are different lengths.  Could just bring back courtesy and consideration for other peoples property instead. :whistling:  

Yes, that's true, Tom. However it you look at the picture Tiexen posted, for instance, you can see that the strip would still protect against being struck by the trailing  edge of a lot of doors, irrespective of size or design.

Certainly agree on courtesy and consideration, and a bit of common sense wouldn't hurt either. How often have I come back to my car to find some tw*t has parked an inch from my drivers door and I've had to climb in via the passenger door! 😠

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Agreed.  I suppose they're useful for people that park in garages.

Ha ha, yes. Trouble is garages have stayed the same size and cars have got a LOT bigger. I lined our garage with offcuts of old rugs, carpet, etc, years ago, which does the trick!😀

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Ha ha, yes. Trouble is garages have stayed the same size and cars have got a LOT bigger. I lined our garage with offcuts of old rugs, carpet, etc, years ago, which does the trick!😀

My Dad lined our with some old cardboard in the 90s...can't say that was particularly effective! :laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

My Dad lined our with some old cardboard in the 90s...can't say that was particularly effective! :laugh:

Lol,  no, you need to need some good quality Axminster or Wilton for best protection!😃

• Like 1

Just now, FezMan

Keep us updated on this, had a look at mine earlier and not a single one of them open fully and pop onto the edge of the door making them 100% useless. So will get them to fix them under warranty if you're successful. 

Although ive only ever took note of the drivers door which did work fine when I bought the car a few months ago, so I wonder if cold weather could affect them, or just putting some oil in the gaps might fix them..

Three new cables and door guards on order, as interestingly they are on back order at the moment. This tells me that there’s quite a Mk 8’s (and Mk4 Focuses, if it’s the same part number) with the same problem.

Provisionally booked in for Feb 8th, pending arrival of parts. We’ll see...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tiexen said:

Or, these are pretty bullet proof, pricey though, £3 for 2 LOL

7284240_doorprotector.thumb.jpg.32720c9ad93a46dd4ba2f90da01b527f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, FezMan

Picked the car up this afternoon, and now have 4 working door edge protectors. The new ones seem to be more smoother in operation, so let’s hope Ford have sorted the problems with them.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club