Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk4 Engine Bay Fuse Box

Waggy

I'm trying to gain access to the fuses on a mk4 Focus ST and assume the engine bay fuse box is similar across the range. On my previous mk3 Focus all that was needed was to press a couple of clips, remove the cover, and there were the fuses. If I remove the cover on my latest model, all I find is 2 large cable connectors, and I can't see how to go any further to reveal the actual fuses. Can someone give me a simple guide as to how to get to the fuses? Don't want to get too adventurous, would rather have some guidance on how to do it right! Any help much appreciated.

No. It tells you where the fuse box is located, same place as previous versions at the side of the battery, and then just gives a list of what each fuse is for. It doesn't describe how to actually get at the fuses. Would appreciate any help from anyone who has successfully got at the fuses.

Just got into mine and there is no point. Its essentially all the fuses are built into the connector...no idea how that will work if you need to change one.

Hi, main fuses are accessed behind the carpet passenger footwell, should be in the handbook 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, johnH said:

Just got into mine and there is no point. Its essentially all the fuses are built into the connector...no idea how that will work if you need to change one.

I'm trying to find around 64 assorted fuses, from micro to M and J sizes, along with associated relays. I'm not sure I can believe they are all magically contained within the two connectors. Are you stating this as an absolute fact, or just guessing? Still hoping someone comes along who knows how to get at the fuses?

On 11/27/2019 at 7:36 PM, granville_focus said:

Hi, main fuses are accessed behind the carpet passenger footwell, should be in the handbook 

Thanks, but the clue is in the title "Engine Bay" fuse box.

I essentially took the lid off and found the 2 wires you speak off...disconnected 1 and pulled it out...quite simple to do actually...but no fuses underneath. It appeared to me that the fuses etc are inside the connector. Give it ago yourself...you maybe waiting some time as they are still new cars and people wont fiddle with them

Yes, I disconnected the 2 big connectors, but never imagined the fuses were actually inside. I assumed the next layer down contained the ECU as it said "discard if dropped". I expected to be able to remove this next layer and get to the fuses. However, don't want to get too adventurous until I know what I'm supposed to be doing!

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

Yes, I disconnected the 2 big connectors, but never imagined the fuses were actually inside. I assumed the next layer down contained the ECU as it said "discard if dropped". I expected to be able to remove this next layer and get to the fuses. However, don't want to get too adventurous until I know what I'm supposed to be doing!

Have you got some pictures? 

2 hours ago, Waggy said:

If it's not a stupid question why did you want to know all about this fuse box?

2 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

If it's not a stupid question why did you want to know all about this fuse box?

Just so I can tot up how many of each size (current wise as well as physical) and carry a few spares just in case. Isn't this what everybody does? Also, in previous models, the engine bay fuse box contains the fuse extractor tool as well.

• Like 1

I used to do that and carry a tool kit including socket set but seem to have grown out of the habit. Anyway if one of the fuses in that box goes you'll probably have to call out the breakdown service to get you going again..

Just un plug the 2 connectors. Then unclip the fusebox from its housing. 

If anyone unsure, I can take photos of the next MK4 I get in. 

14 hours ago, iantt said:

Just un plug the 2 connectors. Then unclip the fusebox from its housing. 

If anyone unsure, I can take photos of the next MK4 I get in. 

Would certainly appreciate any further information you can provide.  I've tried pushing and pulling everything in sight but can't get anything to budge. 

i took some photos but still having issues with uploading for some reason. been  like that for a few weeks now . screen shots upload though

Screenshot_20191203-112949_Samsung Internet.jpg

tried another browser , think it works now. so connectors offthen push clips on each corner away. that will release the fusebox. lift up then turm over and unclip the fusebox cover

20191203_111519.jpg

20191203_111525.jpg

20191203_111546.jpg

20191203_111605.jpg

20191203_111611.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for that, useful info.

Interesting the 'scrap if dropped' . Best be careful how its handled...

shall i drop it and find out how robust it is ?🤔🤔

Wow! Thanks very much Ian, brilliant work. At least I know what we're looking for. To be honest I tried releasing the very clips you have pointed out, but couldn't get the thing loose. Are there 4 clips to release, one on each corner? I will persevere a bit more tomorrow, now that I know what we should be doing. Fingers crossed.

Progress! That, in my opinion, is an absolutely ridiculous design when a fuse is supposed to be a user replaceable item. I am not surprised that the OP could not work it out.

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

Wow! Thanks very much Ian, brilliant work. At least I know what we're looking for. To be honest I tried releasing the very clips you have pointed out, but couldn't get the thing loose. Are there 4 clips to release, one on each corner? I will persevere a bit more tomorrow, now that I know what we should be doing. Fingers crossed.

No, only the 2 I pointed at . The opposite side it slots in. So press both clips outwards and lift that end first. Then it will unslot. 

10 minutes ago, pcaouolte said:

Progress! That, in my opinion, is an absolutely ridiculous design when a fuse is supposed to be a user replaceable item. I am not surprised that the OP could not work it out.

I've not had one apart until today and found it easy enough. Took all of 15 seconds to remove and expose the fuses . 

But I have had one apart similar on mk8 fiesta 6 months ago so I did roughly know what to look for

Supprised it's not in the handbook how to remove fusebox. 

I didn't try, but suspect you can leave the 2 large connector's and lift fusebox then  turn over sufficiently to unclip the fuse cover. 

Thanks again Ian. Managed to get the thing apart this afternoon. It was really stiff trying to ease the box upwards and along, but got there in the end because you had shown what needed to be done. The box itself just appears to contain fuses, nothing else surprisingly. Strange design if you ask me, but at least it all came out and went back ok. Now the REALLY annoying thing is, the box does not contain a fuse removal tool. That's more expense, probably £1.50 at Halfords, or 25p on eBay. Can't win 'em all!

• 2 years later...

Hi, horn stopped working on mk4 focus, fuses all good but where is the relay so I can check and is it easy to replace horn if found faulty.

2 hours ago, jdw44 said:

Hi, horn stopped working on mk4 focus, fuses all good but where is the relay so I can check and is it easy to replace horn if found faulty.

Duplicate post :sad:

On 12/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, ianincheshire said:

Thanks for that, useful info.

Interesting the 'scrap if dropped' . Best be careful how its handled...

Another one of those "What idiot designed it like that" things. A simple fuse replacement puts you at risk of bricking a critical part of the car ...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club