Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Focus MK3 SYNC 3 upgrade for Bluetooth Voice Control (BVC) cars from 2011, 2012 and 2013

JPW

Just completed the conversion today, massive thanks to @JPWfor the gude and thread, and also@Rowan112 for supplying the plug and play harness and his advice helping me with a couple of programming issues. Well pleased with this its like a new car again.👍

I have just purchased the screen/module, main unit and facia to do this conversion in mine. My main problem is, do you need the usb port to update software and maps ? as i was not planning on getting it.

2 hours ago, Mario1966 said:

I have just purchased the screen/module, main unit and facia to do this conversion in mine. My main problem is, do you need the usb port to update software and maps ? as i was not planning on getting it.

yes

Has anyone had the problem of the sync 3 not booting up after sitting overnight, doesent happen all the time, but sometimes it just doesent come on at all, black screen, no sound, usb hub not lit up. Then after about 20 mins it comes on as if the car has just been started up. 

On 3/30/2022 at 2:57 PM, yamar1 said:

Has anyone had the problem of the sync 3 not booting up after sitting overnight, doesent happen all the time, but sometimes it just doesent come on at all, black screen, no sound, usb hub not lit up. Then after about 20 mins it comes on as if the car has just been started up. 

Fixed, was a loose wire behind the apim.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I was wondering when looking for an AsBuilt file, does the vehicle you want to generate a file from have to be a perfect copy? What specs matter and which dont?

Im finding vehicles that are a close match but have a different gearbox.

Any advice would be very welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

Would be really interested in doing this as my BVC no longer seems to work; keeps disconnecting mobile; address book and recent calls do not synch. However don't want to mess it up. Any advise on how best to do this, so if I mess up I can easily revert back?

Thanks

R

Focus 2012, Titanium X 1.0 Ecoboost. Built in Camera, Sat Nav.

11 hours ago, rrm said:

Would be really interested in doing this as my BVC no longer seems to work; keeps disconnecting mobile; address book and recent calls do not synch. However don't want to mess it up. Any advise on how best to do this, so if I mess up I can easily revert back?

Thanks

R

Focus 2012, Titanium X 1.0 Ecoboost. Built in Camera, Sat Nav.

Ive chatted up rowan for a wiring loom so i wouldnt have to modify any wires and apart from some programming i could easily revert back to stock. And did the conversion in a couple of hours. Dialing all the modules in took more time as installing everything.

Thanks Snow404.

I have sent Rowan a PM. I ordered a cable yesterday, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003203882834.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.143b69b5nDuXVd seem to be the same cable as the one listed on the first page of the forum, however 50% cheaper. Guess I have now started the journey.

Any tips on sourcing the remaining components at reasonable prices?

Our car also has a lot of options on it, Sunroof, larger alloys, BLISS, etc. So will I have to try and find a car with similar specification for the last stages (assuming I get that far).

R

Edited by rrm
add more detail

On 6/14/2022 at 9:18 AM, rrm said:

Thanks Snow404.

I have sent Rowan a PM. I ordered a cable yesterday, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003203882834.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.143b69b5nDuXVd seem to be the same cable as the one listed on the first page of the forum, however 50% cheaper. Guess I have now started the journey.

Any tips on sourcing the remaining components at reasonable prices?

Our car also has a lot of options on it, Sunroof, larger alloys, BLISS, etc. So will I have to try and find a car with similar specification for the last stages (assuming I get that far).

R

Spec wise is doesnt come that close, Rowan adviced me to edit just the settings that are needed with forscan instead of loading a config (asbuilt dump) for another car. 

For sourcing i just purchased the cheapest nicest looking parts on eBay. Car demolish places near me didnt have any models i was looking for which if they did couldve saved me some money. I still have a display without APIM incase youd want to buy that from me. 

• 1 month later...

NOTE to everyone!

Having the extra buttons on your steering wheel does not mean you have BVC.

If you want to know if you have BVC or Sync1, check the name of the bluetooth of the car. you can even do this by checking previously connected devices on your phone.

If it is ford audio, then you have BVC

if it is Sync, then you have Sync1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I know this post is pretty old but I currently have a 2011 ford focus titanium x with BVC system and want to upgrade to sync 3 for sat navigation and touch screen. Does anyone know if you can now get a pre made wiring harness to install everything and a front facia with the hazard and lock/unlock buttons to connect, or has anyone started making PNP harnesses yet that they could sell as I don't really fancy my chances at cutting and Splicing into the existing wiring?

Thanks for viewing.

• 1 month later...

What a fantastic guide, can anyone suggest how much it the parts would cost, or is there anyone on here who would do it as a job?  

As it's mentioned in the OP, can anyone tell me where the bluetooth module is located on a RHD (UK/AUS) 2012 BVC Focus please? I had read it was above the glovebox but that doesn't appear to be the case based on what is written here? Is it behind the HVAC control or is there a way to get at it without removing the radio and HVAC? 

Many thanks.  

4 hours ago, Condi said:

What a fantastic guide, can anyone suggest how much it the parts would cost, or is there anyone on here who would do it as a job?  

As it's mentioned in the OP, can anyone tell me where the Bluetooth module is located on a RHD (UK/AUS) 2012 BVC Focus please? I had read it was above the glovebox but that doesn't appear to be the case based on what is written here? Is it behind the HVAC control or is there a way to get at it without removing the radio and HVAC? 

Many thanks.  

I supply and fit BVC/Sync to Sync3 for £720, give us a pm if you're interested

the parts if you're lucky would cost around £500-£600 as it just requires so many parts.

the bluetooth module is behind the HVAC control module which is under the stereo

• Thanks 1

Not sure if anyone can help, just done the retro fit took about a day, done all the wiring myself and everything seem fine however the front buttons on the fascia don't work, the backlighting works and the hazard button works but nothing else.

also is there a reverse camera any would recommend using that actually good? 

Any help would be much appropriated. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 5:58 PM, trebor4482 said:

Not sure if anyone can help, just done the retro fit took about a day, done all the wiring myself and everything seem fine however the front buttons on the fascia don't work, the backlighting works and the hazard button works but nothing else.

also is there a reverse camera any would recommend using that actually good? 

Any help would be much appropriated. 

did you do the wiring from the FCDIM to the FCIM?

1st of all I want you to thank you for this great tutorial. I've followed it step by step manage to upgrade my 2011 cMax from BVC to sync 3. There is one problem and maybe you can help me. I've got sound only after I switch off engine in that period that you are still inside car until you open door. Also can't manage to get my rear parking sensors to work. I've tried a couple of configurations without success. Any advice?!

13 hours ago, Jhon Onel said:

1st of all I want you to thank you for this great tutorial. I've followed it step by step manage to upgrade my 2011 cMax from BVC to sync 3. There is one problem and maybe you can help me. I've got sound only after I switch off engine in that period that you are still inside car until you open door. Also can't manage to get my rear parking sensors to work. I've tried a couple of configurations without success. Any advice?!

what ACM did you use?

what car did it come from?

I had the same issue when i did mine (2012 C-Max)you have to revert a cable in the ACM main connector,i have posted witch one i this thread and in Forscan forum as i remember.

Anyone know of any companies fitting these in the North East, Cumbria or SW Scotland. I can get all the stuff needed just don't feel competent enough to do the wiring side thanks

54 minutes ago, bazovcarlisle said:

Anyone know of any companies fitting these in the North East, Cumbria or SW Scotland. I can get all the stuff needed just don't feel competent enough to do the wiring side thanks

I do a supply and fitting service. i do travel, give us a pm

Hi James, already thank you very much for this tutorial and the time you spent to answer us. I managed to convert my 2012 Ford Focus mk3 BVC to a sync 3.4 version and for those who are afraid to cut the wires like me I have the solution. I found a seller on AliExpress who made me the wiring harness I just have to plug them in without cutting anything. For those who want to do it here is the link of his shop Honha Autoparts Store

https://star.aliexpress.com/share/share.htm?image=HTB1GQ1uRpzqK1RjSZFvq6AB7VXai.jpg&title=Honha Autoparts Store&platform=AE&redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fm.aliexpress.com%2Fstore%2Fv3%2Fhome.html%3FshopId%3D3104041%26sellerId%3D220202867%26pagePath%3Dindex.htm%26sellerAdminSeq%3D220202867%26srcSns%3Dsns_Copy%26tid%3Dwhite_backgroup_101

you have to discuss with the seller and send him pictures of your vehicle he will take care of it and make the harness

• Like 1

On 31/07/2022 at 00:04, Spence18 said:

Salut

Je sais que ce message est assez ancien, mais j'ai actuellement une Ford Focus Titanium X 2011 avec système BVC et je souhaite passer à la synchronisation 3 pour la navigation par satellite et l'écran tactile. Est-ce que quelqu'un sait si vous pouvez maintenant obtenir un faisceau de câbles préfabriqué pour tout installer et une façade avant avec les boutons de danger et de verrouillage/déverrouillage pour se connecter, ou quelqu'un a-t-il déjà commencé à fabriquer des harnais PNP qu'ils pourraient vendre car je n'ai pas vraiment envie mes chances de couper et d'épisser dans le câblage existant ?

Merci d'avoir regardé.

I am located in France, obviously yes there is a wiring harness for BVC vehicles. I managed to make the transformation without cutting any cables, I ordered the harness from a seller on AliExpress. You send him a message with the photos of your vehicle and specify that it is for a BVC vehicle not sync he will take care of making the harness
Here is the link to his shop:

Honha Autoparts Store
https://star.aliexpress.com/share/share.htm?image=HTB1GQ1uRpzqK1RjSZFvq6AB7VXai.jpg&title=Honha Autoparts Store&platform=AE&redirectUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fm.aliexpress.com%2Fstore%2Fv3%2Fhome.html%3FshopId%3D3104041%26sellerId%3D220202867%26pagePath%3Dindex.htm%26sellerAdminSeq%3D220202867%26srcSns%3Dsns_Copy%26tid%3Dwhite_backgroup_101

On 10/3/2022 at 10:25 PM, Rowan112 said:

did you do the wiring from the FCDIM to the FCIM?

I did yes, a strange bit I have discovered is that if I spam press any button on there for instance the power button (like 50 odd times) the facia back light come on for a bit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club