Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keep forgetting to put headlights on Ford Focus Mark 3

MattJH

I have driven a Renault for the last 10 years. The dashboard lights only came on when you turned on the headlights - so if you couldn’t see the dashboard dials you knew your lights weren’t on.

I’ve just bought a Ford Focus Mark 3. The dashboard lights are always on - so I keep forgetting to put my headlights on when it’s dark.

Is there any way to stop the dashboards lights coming on unless you have the headlights on.

Seems dangerous to me, how do people always remember to put their lights on. It was impossible to forget on a Renault.

I just put mine on when it's dark or visibility is poor, you should also have an automatic setting on the light switch but I never use that.

i totally agree with your view on it being dangerous. I have done it also. does your car have DRLs?  I might be wrong but it looks to me like the dash lights being on all of the time is linked to cars with DRLs.  I have seen many people driving at night with no tail lights on and just the DRLs on the front. No doubt caused by the dash lights being on all of the time. 

Having the dashlights on all of the time was obviously going to cause this problem - what were the designers thinking? 

I don't have an automatic setting on the light switch.

• Like 1

Which model Ford Focus do you have then?  As far as I'm aware the recent ones all have an automatic lights setting?

As for folks driving at night because the DRLs are on, that's stupidity, nothing to do with dash lights being on.  If it's dark, switch your lights on!  There is a tell tale that tells you when the lights are on. it's not rocket science.

• Like 1

I find it helpful to have the dash lights on all the time because when you're driving during the day and you enter a shaded road because of trees the dials become invisible and you can't even see the speed you're going at which is what my work van does (VW Transporter). It's a natural thing to turn on your lights when it gets dark anyway so you won't become lazy and rely on technology to tell you. I'm pretty sure the Focus come with auto headlights if you're lazy anyway so keep it on that setting and look at your dash for the headlights on display to ensure its on.

I have my dash lights set to be dimmer at night and brighter when headlights are off.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I don’t have a focus I have a fiesta as per what my profile says. I appreciate it is easier to see that when using this forum on a computer as opposed to phone

Well you posted in the Focus forum so that's why folks are confused :wink3:

12 hours ago, sussamb said:

Which model Ford Focus do you have then?  As far as I'm aware the recent ones all have an automatic lights setting?

They don't...  Ford really lagged behind on this, most of the Mk3 Focus' don't have auto lights.  Only Titanium/TX or ST3 get auto lights.  The poverty models (Zetec/ST-Line/ST1 etc) get manual lights as if it's still 1985.  The very latest Mk4 Focus & Mk8 Fiesta mostly get auto lights as standard, but they were only available from around 2017.

Even my 07 Mk2 has auto lights, not that I use that setting - it is a Ghia model though. It can't cost Ford much to add that feature as standard. 

I do see more and more people driving with just DRLs and without their rear lights on nowadays - looks like providing too much convenience makes people lose their common sense!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, south_bound said:

Even my 07 Mk2 has auto lights, not that I use that setting - it is a Ghia model though. It can't cost Ford much to add that feature as standard. 

Ghia was top spec before being replaced by Titanium (although both were on sale together briefly at the end of Mk2 PFL).

Sadly it does add a lot of cost to production...  It requires a completely different windscreen, different GEM/BCM, expensive sensor, wiring, light switch, rear view mirror, mirror cowling and wiper stalk...

However I personally wouldn't buy a daily without auto lights/wipers/dimming mirror now!  Can't remember the last time I switched away from AUTO...

There is no excuse for not turning lights on, it's getting dark turn them on , it's poor visability turn them on, it's raining turn them on, it's dark turn them on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

However I personally wouldn't buy a daily without auto lights/wipers/dimming mirror now!  Can't remember the last time I switched away from AUTO...

Oh Tom, I'm ashamed of you! Surely an old timer like you , with all that driving experience you have, can see that it's getting dark outside and turn your lights on? LOL On a rental last year, I absolutely hated the auto lights and auto wipers, that's my job, I'm the driver 🤣

Couldn't agree more, auto lights should be banned.  I've often been in situations where lights are required and flick to auto just to see the reaction, they are then invariably turned off.  Folks are now beginning to assume they will switch on when required, but they often don't.  Use your brain peeps :wink:

• Like 2

And don't get me started on the auto high beam controls that are becoming more standard.  The number of cars coming towards me with high beam on despite me flashing them, so many must be badly set and I am sure most of those drivers don't even know how to dip them, at least not in the time it would be useful to me!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MattJH said:

Seems dangerous to me, how do people always remember to put their lights on. It was impossible to forget on a Renault.

If it's dark (or inclement weather) then you turn your lights on - it couldn't be more obvious. How do people not notice their lights aren't on??

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, karlbbb said:

If it's dark (or inclement weather) then you turn your lights on - it couldn't be more obvious. How do people not notice their lights aren't on??

Because modern cars have automatic DRLs which illuminate the dashboard so they wrongly assume that their headlights and rear lights are switched on because the dash is lit up. They forget to check if there is a green light icon on their instrument cluster. 
It's the same for the idiots who drive around with their fog lights on at the front even with headlights on. They just don't look at their dash icons or bother learning about how to use switches etc. 

Personally, I'd never want to drive a vehicle with auto lights or wipers. As the driver it is your responsibility to check your lights and to learn how to use the switches and what dash icons mean. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Oh Tom, I'm ashamed of you! Surely an old timer like you , with all that driving experience you have, can see that it's getting dark outside and turn your lights on? LOL On a rental last year, I absolutely hated the auto lights and auto wipers, that's my job, I'm the driver 🤣

My 2nd car had auto wipers and auto climate being a '90s French hatch...I was hooked on driver aids from then on!  Ford still aren't fitting those as standard across the range 20 years later!! :laugh: 

I find life hard enough as it is so I love driver aids, the more tech in a car, the better as far as I'm concerned! :tongue:  Work smarter, not harder! :wink: 

Seriously though, I find it hard to believe some of you don't get that doubt about whether it's dull enough to need lights or not.  Also, if you drive brightly lit town roads and the dash is illuminated at night, you can't always tell if the lights are on until you come up behind another car and see the reflection.  The tell-tale in the Golf is on the switch rather than the dash so I've got no idea whether the lights are on unless I crane my neck down to my knees which I think you'll all agree isn't a safe position...  One feature the Mk3 Focus had that the Golf doesn't is rain lights...so when the wipers are on, the lights come on.  Very good idea imo as even in that fine drizzle when it still appears bright, lights can be helpful, especially with silver cars.  Of course, French cars were offering that back in the early 00s too lol!!  The French really are good at tech, though I guess that's useful with the way they drive!! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Why have doubt?  If it seems at all dull switch the lights on.  If you're going out at sunset or after, switch the lights on.

I agree with you about Ford historically, but I think from the MK8 Fiesta and Mk4 Focus we have, that they have finally caught up.  Even my missus bog basic zetec has auto lights and wipers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Why have doubt?  If it seems at all dull switch the lights on.  If you're going out at sunset or after, switch the lights on.

I agree with you about Ford historically, but I think from the MK8 Fiesta and Mk4 Focus we have, that they have finally caught up.  Even my missus bog basic zetec has auto lights and wipers.

Seeming dull is subjective though...  We've all seen those people who hit the fog light switch as soon as there's a little drizzle, presumably they feel it's extra dull when the rest us can see fine (well, until we had 21 watts of fog light burnt into our retinas).  Equally I've thought it seems bright enough for no lights...and then suddenly noticed a silver car appear out of nowhere because it had blurred into the grey English weather without lights or DRLs.  Maybe it's just me though, I'm constantly in doubt about everything! :laugh: 

And yeah, I did say in an earlier post the latest models have them. :smile: 

My last 3 cars have all been old enough to have escaped the factory fit of DRLs, however, I have retrograded the fitment to all of them including my current 15 year old Focus. I remember in the 70s flashing passing Volvos as they fitted DRLs decades before legislation proved them correct!  I always err on the side of caution, if I judge it right to turn my headlights on, I turn them on, no big deal at being seen earlier on the road! And I've now even stopped shouting at drivers in front who have no idea how to use a rear fog light, I just accept they are eeejits, and stay well clear LOL

• Like 2

The other eeejits are those stopped in front of you who insist on sticking their foot on the brake pedal, use the b....y hand brake :rolleyes:

• Like 1

To much relying on driver aids, yes the are handy at time, but aren't the answer to not paying attention.

• Like 1

"And don't get me started on the auto high beam controls that are becoming more standard.  The number of cars coming towards me with high beam on despite me flashing them, so many must be badly set and I am sure most of those drivers don't even know how to dip them, at least not in the time it would be useful to me! "

I think some of this might be people who think they know how to instal a new bulb, but don't understand it fully. They just force it in at any old angle and it totally alters the beam.

1 hour ago, isetta said:

"And don't get me started on the auto high beam controls that are becoming more standard.  The number of cars coming towards me with high beam on despite me flashing them, so many must be badly set and I am sure most of those drivers don't even know how to dip them, at least not in the time it would be useful to me! "

I think some of this might be people who think they know how to instal a new bulb, but don't understand it fully. They just force it in at any old angle and it totally alters the beam.

Yeah, might be that as well.  I had a hire car recently with the auto high beam which sometimes seemed a bit slow to dip when cars came the other way and made me think of that but you are right that there are likely other reasons as well.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club