Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant in with ignition plug leads chamber

dvince86

Hi All,

First let me apologize in advance as I am not a car person so will probably call things the wrong name and maybe give wrong information but I have an issue I am trying to resolve without going to the mechanics who will charge me a fortune just to tell me whats wrong.

So, my 2007 focus 1.4 petrol, started stuttering, misfiring and the engine management light came on. I lurched home and when home popped the bonnet. I called a friend who knew more than me and he told me to check the spark plugs. I pulled out the leads from the ignition plugs that fit over the spark plugs and was surprised to see the chamber was half full of liquid.

I removed all 4 leads and each was full of liquid. I drained it and am 100% it is engine coolant.

My friend told me to drain it with a syringe and try again.

I did this and quickly it started to stutter and stall. I took out the leads again and they were full with engine coolant again.

I googled searched and a lot of people said the jet washers leak etc but I know it isnt that as it has refilled quickly without the washers being used and its pink/orange like the engine coolant.

Someone also suggest the head gasket has gone and the car will overheat because of it, but i have managed to drive the car for 40 mins on the way home and ran it for 20 mins outside my house but it didn't overheat so possibly not that.

I have since found out there are something called core plugs which can leak, could these leak coolant into the chambers?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, dvince86 said:

Hi All,

First let me apologize in advance as I am not a car person so will probably call things the wrong name and maybe give wrong information but I have an issue I am trying to resolve without going to the mechanics who will charge me a fortune just to tell me whats wrong.

So, my 2007 focus 1.4 petrol, started stuttering, misfiring and the engine management light came on. I lurched home and when home popped the bonnet. I called a friend who knew more than me and he told me to check the spark plugs. I pulled out the leads from the ignition plugs that fit over the spark plugs and was surprised to see the chamber was half full of liquid.

I removed all 4 leads and each was full of liquid. I drained it and am 100% it is engine coolant.

My friend told me to drain it with a syringe and try again.

I did this and quickly it started to stutter and stall. I took out the leads again and they were full with engine coolant again.

I googled searched and a lot of people said the jet washers leak etc but I know it isnt that as it has refilled quickly without the washers being used and its pink/orange like the engine coolant.

Someone also suggest the head gasket has gone and the car will overheat because of it, but i have managed to drive the car for 40 mins on the way home and ran it for 20 mins outside my house but it didn't overheat so possibly not that.

I have since found out there are something called core plugs which can leak, could these leak coolant into the chambers?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Any sign of oil in the coolant reservoir?  Take the oil cap off - is there any white/milky residue there?  When I first saw your post my first though was head gasket but I'm not a mechanic just a keen DIY'er!

14 hours ago, dvince86 said:

Yep, will be the head core plugs as you suggest.  They're right between the spark plug holes.  Very cheap and easy to change, just need to make sure the new ones go in 'square' otherwise they'll leak again.

Brilliant, thanks for the replies.

I will get someone to take a look at it and fingers crossed it will be resolve the issue

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club