Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Horrific Grinding Noise

malk

Hi all,

I've got a 2014 Fiesta and have had a horrible grinding noise coming from my front driver side for around 6 months now. The noise appears only when off the accelerator however happens regardless of being in or out of gear, clutch in or out, or brakes being applied or not.

So far my driver side wheel bearing has been changed, front discs and pads and my tires have also been done as they needed done anyway. I've also been told a common bearing that goes on the driveshaft is not the culprit. I've so far seen 3 seperate garages all basically charging me for what they thought would fix it and telling me to "just monitor it".

If anyone has had similar problems or has any advice it would be much appreciated. This has been puzzling me for months along with multiple mechanics.

Does it clunk on very slow tight turns? If so that would indicate a CV joint on the driveshaft. Whether it does or doesn't it sounds like a CV joint anyway but clunking would confirm it. That it appears when the shaft is driven by the road and disappears when driven by the gearbox would be the reason I suggest that.

I had a horrible grinding noise on an earlier car some year ago.   It turned out to be a broken front spring.   The broken end was rubbing on the inside of the wheel.

Sorry for the delayed response thanks for getting back to me. A few days ago I inspected the outer cv joint boot and found a tiny drop of grease around the size of a skittle. However was unable to find the tear. I cleaned it and waited a few days to check if it came back or if the grease was just wiped on by me accidentally and it has came back.

From what I understand if my cv joint was bad mine would be very severe due to the volume and consistency of this grinding sound. Is it possible that such a small tear in the boot is the cause of such a loud problem. 

On your point about clunking when doing slow right turns I’ve not had that issue and have tested for it a couple times now.

On 2/24/2020 at 8:44 PM, Popshot said:

Does it clunk on very slow tight turns? If so that would indicate a CV joint on the driveshaft. Whether it does or doesn't it sounds like a CV joint anyway but clunking would confirm it. That it appears when the shaft is driven by the road and disappears when driven by the gearbox would be the reason I suggest that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club