Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo MK5 2.5, Auto

asmodeus812

Hello, i have been reading about the MK5 for the last couple of weeks. I am currently looking to get a 2.5 Mondeo MK5 around 2015. There are two things that worry me, and i still can not get a proper answer for. First is the engine, 2.5 liter, 170~ Hp, gasoline / petrol, the second is the gearbox, since i am looking at an automatic, is there anything i should be wary of ? The gearbox should be serviced at proper intervals 60-70k km i guess (it is not a sealed unit right ?). As far as engine is concerned - are there any issues with oil burning, cooling issue, water pumps etc. Is there anything in general that is considered a weak spot for the MK5. I havent had any ford-made car thus far, and i am not completely familiar with them. Thanks in advance !!!

PS: I am very confused of the differences between Fusion and Mondeo, all 2.5 here (South Europe) that are being sold are marked as Fusion (not mondeo)

13 hours ago, asmodeus812 said:

Hello, i have been reading about the MK5 for the last couple of weeks. I am currently looking to get a 2.5 Mondeo MK5 around 2015. There are two things that worry me, and i still can not get a proper answer for. First is the engine, 2.5 liter, 170~ Hp, gasoline / petrol, the second is the gearbox, since i am looking at an automatic, is there anything i should be wary of ? The gearbox should be serviced at proper intervals 60-70k km i guess (it is not a sealed unit right ?). As far as engine is concerned - are there any issues with oil burning, cooling issue, water pumps etc. Is there anything in general that is considered a weak spot for the MK5. I havent had any ford-made car thus far, and i am not completely familiar with them. Thanks in advance !!!

PS: I am very confused of the differences between Fusion and Mondeo, all 2.5 here (South Europe) that are being sold are marked as Fusion (not mondeo)

The 2.5 duratec engine is not sold in the UK, so none of us have direct experience with it. But from what I've heard, it's a solid long-lasting engine, it's been around for ages.

Assuming the gearbox is the 6F35, then yes that's also pretty reliable. There's no official service interval for the gearbox oil, but I would recommend 60k as you suggested, as a precautionary measure.

Weak spots include sagging dash, and steering bolts. No others as far as I'm aware on the petrol mondeo. 

Edit: Ford Mondeo = Ford Fusion, it's just a change of badge, depends on the market it's sold in.

• Like 1

Hello, thanks for the swift answers, as far as i know this is the one i am looking at https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2015/1596725/ford_fusion_2_5l.html (i think one of them was SE, i guess that is just a trim level). But indeed it is with the 6-35 ford gearbox and the duratec engine. It looks like the engine is an inline 4 cylinder, not a V6. Am i mistaken, or did i see somewhere that the engine is a naturally aspirated V6, maybe i havent been paying enough attention. 

What worries me is that the 6F35 transmission seems to have had a lot of problems around 2012, the MK5 i am looking at is 2016, and yet, i am not completely sure, if all those problems have been remedied ? Do you have any input on this ?

6F35 transmission is pretty reliable, you have nothing to worry about. If buying a high mileage car, just remember to check when the transmission fluid was last changed. Make sure it shifts smoothly during the test drive between gears, all the usual stuff.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club