Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A bit extra over 247bhp....?

The Finance Guy

Hi all

I may have mentioned elsewhere that I've just got a Focus ST Estate, and true to form I'm already looking at ways to modify it. 

I always modify my bikes and cars, but partly just because I enjoy doing the work. For the ST, cosmetically I'm looking at getting the roof wrapped black, maybe a rear diffuser, powder coat the wheels black, but for my first petrol car I'm thinking about ways to get a bit more power, and maybe some choo choo noises...

I don't need masses more power, as I am already massively impressed with the engine as it is, having only ever owned diesel cars. I just don't like the idea of my car being "stock". I like something a bit different. 

Should I get it remapped and find out at that point what is the restriction to power? So if the tuner tells me it needs bigger injectors, I do that. More airflow etc. The other thing I've been looking into is the Cobb Accessport with just a base map to give something a bit extra with limited effort.

This question I'm sure has been asked a million times, but I'm interested to hear the views of people who have owned and modified their own STs...

• Like 2

After having owned a Mk3.5 and since a Mk8 Fiesta ST and Mk4 Focus ST, if it was me, before any power increase, I'd get a quiafe diff fitted.

The Mk3 struggles to put it's power down at stock, the Fiesta and Focus now have diffs and it makes the world of difference.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

After having owned a Mk3.5 and since a Mk8 Fiesta ST and Mk4 Focus ST, if it was me, before any power increase, I'd get a quiafe diff fitted.

The Mk3 struggles to put it's power down at stock, the Fiesta and Focus now have diffs and it makes the world of difference.

That's not a bad shout actually - it does struggle to find grip and that diff isn't much more expensive than a Cobb AP....food for thought. 

• Like 2

I used Bluefin on both my mk3.5 ST's, the power gain was decent and no modifications were needed.
Must admit that torque steer and wheel spin was a bit of a pain but controllable.
My mk4 ST has electronic LSD so takes off straight as an arrow and far more refined.
I'll soon be getting Bluefin on it too and looking around 320bhp which should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so the cosmetic stuff I'm happy with the list, the performance stuff I think I know what I need to do...

Now the fun bit - choo choo noises. Recommended BOVs for this car?

It doesn't have a BOV, it has a recirc valve.

It's designed to dump the pressure back in to the intake, rather than wasting it to atmosphere.

You're better off looking in to induction kits for more noise than chasing a BOV noise, which changes the way the engine is engineered, imo.

I think you can get a mountune recirc and there are probably others which are rated for higher boost.

• Like 1

That's a good idea actually as I will potentially get a slight performance upgrade rather than just a mod for attention seeking noises....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Finance Guy said:

I've just got a Focus ST Estate, and true to form I'm already looking at ways to modify it.

I had my mid-life crisis and I bought an ST Estate too lol
I got a good one and I love it, I said I'd not do anything to it anytime soon, but I'm sooo tempted.

10 hours ago, alexp999 said:

if it was me, before any power increase, I'd get a quiafe diff fitted.

The Mk3 struggles to put it's power down at stock,

I'd heard all about the Focus ST's struggles at the front, and they are all true lol, turn a corner and you can be spinning wheels like a hooligan,
I'm liking the idea of that diff, I'd never really notice a power increase on mine, most of my trips are too urban and too short.

• Like 2

Yes you correctly point out my midlife crisis. This is actually my second one - first time round I bought motorbikes. I’m only 33 so not even middle aged yet!

It does like to spin it’s wheels yes, so in theory the LSD should be top of the list. However, part of the joy of modifying is doing the work, and that’s something I would definitely not even attempt to do myself. The mechanic that I trust nearby is more of a diesel mechanic, does a lot of pickups etc so in theory he could do it for me, but by the time I’ve bought the thing and paid for John’s time fitting it, we’re well over £1,000. I reckon that’s a bargain if what I’ve seen about the difference a quaife makes is true, but it’s still a lot of money when I’ve just bought the car. 

I’ve also been thinking today about whether I could attempt the roof wrap myself...I’ve been quoted £320 for roof and mirror backs which is a good price, but again I like to do things myself...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Finance Guy said:

by the time I’ve bought the thing and paid for John’s time fitting it, we’re well over £1,000.
I reckon that’s a bargain if what I’ve seen about the difference a quaife makes is true, but it’s still a lot of money when I’ve just bought the car. 

I’ve also been thinking today about whether I could attempt the roof wrap myself...I’ve been quoted £320 for roof and mirror backs which is a good price, but again I like to do things myself...

Exactly, I've only had it 6 months and that was a lot of money for what I earn, but a few things came together at once and I had the chance to get one,
I'd been window shopping on Auto Trader for 8 months and I thought f*** it when one came up close to me, I'm usually far too sensible but starting to realise life is short.

I too am tempted for a roof wrap, my car is Panther Black but I fancy Matt Black roof & mirrors.
Having an ST-2 I'm lacking Red Calipers, that's something I'm looking at along with getting my alloys resprayed to Rock Metallic.

• Like 2

I’ve got stealth grey so the black accents will make it look even better than it already looks. I’m biased, but I think it might be the best looking car ever. 

trying to upload a picture but they’re going on upside down for some reason

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 1:10 PM, Stoney871 said:

I used Bluefin on both my mk3.5 ST's, the power gain was decent and no modifications were needed.
Must admit that torque steer and wheel spin was a bit of a pain but controllable.
My mk4 ST has electronic LSD so takes off straight as an arrow and far more refined.
I'll soon be getting Bluefin on it too and looking around 320bhp which should be interesting.

The dreamscience Stratagem iMap-E6 is quite handy, I have it for my ST you have the choice of 3 maps 300, 315 and 330bhp (the last 2 require the use of 99 octane fuel). I use the 315 and it does me fine but have the option to up it or lower it if needed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update: 

Bought a Mountune CAIS and fitted that (thanks @Stoney871)

Also bought a Quaife diff on @alexp999 ‘s recommendation and now I just need that fitted of course. 

Also have 3m gloss black wrap for the roof and mirror backs to wrap them myself. Just waiting on it to get warm enough out to do it - so probably next week.  

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 10:46 PM, The Finance Guy said:

There we go

EEB46CDF-8F71-499F-9064-C479AE11D647.jpeg

Very nice. Air Fix grey ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

It’s called Stealth Grey. 

• Like 2

[emoji38]

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club