Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

I like filling up on the way to work, and gaining 45 miles of range by the time I arrive. On mainly motorway and NSL roads. It's the little things...

I do like finding a lovely St Christopher keyring on the bay of e, since the year dot all my cars have had different keyring holding their key

• Like 1

I like cleaning 3 of my neighbours cars in the last week and earning an extra £30!

IMG_20160803_192239.jpg

Please excuse the Instagram collage!:laugh:

• Like 3

I do like now seeing with last night's rain, i now have close to 1700L of captured rain in the butts:smile: 

My Peugeot 406 briefly had a problem with the stop solenoid, but the other way round, it stopped stopping:laugh:  Until i replaced it, I had to stall it in 5th when I wanted the engine off:laugh:

6 minutes ago, GMX said:

I do like now seeing with last night's rain, i now have close to 1700L of captured rain in the butts:smile: 

My Peugeot 406 briefly had a problem with the stop solenoid, but the other way round, it stopped stopping:laugh:  Until i replaced it, I had to stall it in 5th when I wanted the engine off:laugh:

I'd rather have your problem to be honest! :laugh:

I do like seeing two of my recent Tesco purchases actually doing what they claim they can do:smile: 

After numerous Scholl corn treatments, that failed to completely remove my long running corn between small toe and 4th toe: Tesco corn removal plasters have actually softened it/dissolved it  to the point that it's almost fallen off:smile:.  I suspect it will completely come off in the shower.  Scholl's Express Pen was quite good to start with but then my toe seemed to get resistant to it:mellow:

One of the things it mentions in the Haynes dishwasher manual, is the importance of using dishwasher cleaner a couple of times a year, to descale and clean it's pumps and plumbing.  Although i descale the bay, runners and trays with vinegar, I'd never given mine any cleaner.  I happened to notice it when buying some more  rinse aid, so I acquired a bottle,  opting for the cheaper Tesco rather than pricier Finish, thinking if it doesn't work so well: I can upgrade to the better product.:unsure:

Having emptied it earlier: you need an empty dishwasher to use it. I thought I'd try it out whilst I irrigated the tomatoes and vegetables

Following the instructions, I removed the foil seal, to reveal a wax plug that's left in place (apparently dissolves at 60°C during the wash cycle) and placed the bottle upside down in the cutlery container, then set it to do a "heavy soil 65°C" wash, and left it to do it's thing.  Providing it's over 60°C the program you select is not important, it said.

I wasn't expecting to see any difference in the bay as such.  However, when it had finished I was greeted by a, if dishwashers did car shows: a concourse condition dishwasher with a perfumed interior too.  It looked like it had never been used!  Not used almost daily for just over 10 years:biggrin:

• Like 2

Amazing...I drive into Scunthorpe in a Focus and drive out in a Mondeo!!

A Mondeo that doesn't use fuel, but makes it :D

(Okay, so it was just the range counter adjusting to the long motorway journey...but it looked good lol)

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, SeanW said:

A Mondeo that doesn't use fuel, but makes it

Ahh, I see. That is how Ford Corporation is going to reduce its carbon footprint, to comply with global regulations.biggrin.png

Super idea, it is a wonder that Volkswagen did not think of it first!wink.pngwacko.png

I still remember the day I drove into Tiverton in a *Removed* Vectra, and drove out in a Focus.

I was looking forward to a nice journey home on the back roads, avoiding the horrible congestion near Taunton on the A358. It was a little marred because the previous owner had run the tank very low, and my assumptions of finding a filling station on the way proved wrong. I ended up in a service station on the M5 (£1.50 a litre for dieselsad.png), then had to cut back through the jams to rejoin my planned route.

It made a longer drive, but I did not mind that at all, it was still very enjoyable in my new (to me) toy, once I got away from the chaos.smile.png

Your day sounds similarly enjoyable.

• Like 1

Only got the one pic at the moment...

Even with some confusion over the MOT (everything said it had one until next May...until we went to tax it...so they did a new MOT there & then) it was a fantastic day

Left Scunny and straight down to Birmingham to pick up my sister and my niece & nephew :D

20160803_134124.jpg

Edited by SeanW
Photo didn't attach
  • Like 7

I do like being able to drive myself to and from work today, on my own!  Not sure it made the shift any more bearable, but even winning the lottery wouldn't do that...

• Like 6

Looks very nice Sean! I've been wanting a Mondeo (the new one in 2.0 auto ecoboost guise) for quite some time now, though hard to justify the extra $$$ as the Focus does the job perfectly well!

I do like a belated celebratory drink!  It has been a long time since I've had "real" champagne, and it may not be cheap, but God it is good!!

• Like 1

Looks very nice Sean! I've been wanting a Mondeo (the new one in 2.0 auto ecoboost guise) for quite some time now, though hard to justify the extra $$$ as the Focus does the job perfectly well!

I know right the !Removed! things drive so well it is hard to replace without reason.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do like taking Brandy for a leisurely stroll along the Stour in near summer like conditions.:smile:  Brandy seems to have slowed down and is showing her age in the last fortnight.  Today's leisurely stroll is yesterday's running and bouncing around.  The male swan at Cowgove, who usually chases all the passing dogs, opted to ignore Brandy and concentrate pursuing a sprightly Cairn terrier.

I also like (from yesterday) having the right kind of weather to tackle pruning my rear hedges and unruly shrubs, I've still got 2 metres of Prunus laurocerasus up by the long washing line to do; but overall the they are now neat shrubs and tidy hedges.:smile:  I of course, have run out out pruning bags again, until I get shredding:mellow:

@SeanW Mondeo is looking good:smile:  How much bigger is the Mondeo compared to Focus Estate cargo space wise?

13 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I do like a belated celebratory drink!  It has been a long time since I've had "real" champagne, and it may not be cheap, but God it is good!!

Whilst i like sparkling water: sparkling wine whether by méthode classique  or by another method (Transfer, Dioise, Charmat, Russian (continuous), Soda) i find is largely overrated; but each to their own.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GMX said:

How much bigger is the Mondeo compared to Focus Estate cargo space wise?

Is that for transporting mountains of hedge prunings?

I find I can get a huge amount of twiggy prunings in the back of a Focus Estate: Ivy, Leylandii, and all sorts of bushes & shrubs. I have not run out of space yet, though it is a bit tight sometimes.

(Soft stuff gets composted, but I get too much twiggy material to deal with, so it goes to the council recycling.)

It does make a hideous mess in the car, but since it is almost always in a hideous mess anyway, it make little difference!wacko.png

When in Derby over Xmas, I cleared some very neglected roses & other stuff from my Mother's garden. I had no big containers, so it was all shoved straight in the boot. Two big car loads. That was a even more of a mess than usual! (My Brother does not seem inclined to treat his nearly new BMW in the same cavalier manner!laugh.png)

8 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Is that for transporting mountains of hedge prunings?

No, my mountains of hedge prunings are shredded and spread as a mulch around the shrubs and trees in the front garden.

At the moment Brandy's crate occupies most of the cargo area, and anything else goes on the rear seats.  Which i've covered with two bespoke and hinged pieces of 18mm OSB.  When transporting things that might leak or have moist bottoms, I then cover the OSB with PVC sheeting, such as when bringing plants back from nursery. 

I was wondering if the Mondeo cargo area would enable Brandy and everything else to travel in the same shared space.  Admittedly Brandy's got cubed crate rather than one that slopes to make best use of space behind the seat, so I lose a lot space that way

I made the mistake of filling the rear of the 306 estate with hedge trimmings once...spiders everywhere!! :ohmy:

Decided to use the trailer for that kind of thing after that!! :laugh: 

One massive spider disappeared under the headlining.  Needless to say the car was beyond saving at that point and had to be scrapped*. :unsure: 

*Ok so I made that bit up, but had been borrowing the car from a mate, as payment for fitting a clutch to it - fortunately he wanted it back soon after and neither of us saw the spider again!! :lol: 

• Like 1

I have three permanent spiders resident, who despite having their webs snow foamed and pressure washed frequently, two live in my offside mirror housing and one is on the nearside:ohmy:

The Peugeot 406 Estate seemed to be the most vacuous i've had. One day, I managed to get Brandy's crate, Brandy's battery (for her fan system), two standard poodles (two of Brandy's friends) and 4-stroke generator in there.

40 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

(My Brother does not seem inclined to treat his nearly new BMW in the same cavalier manner!laugh.png)

Oh that reminds me.....

During latter part of my BMW phase, with the 740 (not an estate). I once regularly carried a Stihl brushcutter diagonally across the car.

In order to fit it in, I lowered passenger seat back as far down as it would go, the brushcutter head was introduced from the rear offside door into the passenger foot well. It's engine wrapped in a towel was placed between the headrest on the back seat.  The cow horn handlebars always proved challenging, as I had to gently rotate towards the whole thing 50°, so they would fall against the rear seat squabs.  Using three seatbelts it was held quite firmly.

Brandy had only the nearside rear seat for herself and her duvet; her harness being attached to only spare seat belt.

I wonder what your brother would make of that?:laugh:

• Like 1

like the warm weather has improved my fuel consumption, even allowing for margin of error( mine normally shows 2mpg higher than actual consumption fill up calc)  thats still 60+. 

not bad out of focus 1.0 

2016-08-06 12.45.45.jpg

• Like 3

I do like a half day at work!  So good to have a bit of Saturday left to enjoy rather than being stuck in the hell-hole all day.

53 minutes ago, GMX said:

The Peugeot 406 Estate seemed to be the most vacuous i've had. One day, I managed to get Brandy's crate, Brandy's battery (for her fan system), two standard poodles (two of Brandy's friends) and 4-stroke generator in there.

I can certainly believe that, given that the GTX is the same size and has a surprisingly large area with the seats down.  I think it is actually larger (or at least better shaped) than our Volvo V40 which was a bit cramped and awkward in terms of shape.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, iantt said:

like the warm weather has improved my fuel consumption, even allowing for margin of error( mine normally shows 2mpg higher than actual consumption fill up calc)  thats still 60+. 

not bad out of focus 1.0 

2016-08-06 12.45.45.jpg

Yours is mapped to ~140bhp right?  And presumably roughly the same weight as the mk2.5 if not more?  My DV6 is barely managing 55mpg with the warmer weather, especially when I put the AC on!  I want an EcoBoost lol. :sad: 

24 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I can certainly believe that, given that the GTX is the same size and has a surprisingly large area with the seats down.  I think it is actually larger (or at least better shaped) than our Volvo V40 which was a bit cramped and awkward in terms of shape.

Peugeots of that era get more boot space by having torsion bar suspension rather than the conventional shock and springs.  Does make for very good load space in them!!  Was always surprised how much I could get in the 306 estates, not far off Dads Mondeo estate at the time! 

1 hour ago, GMX said:

I once regularly carried a Stihl brushcutter diagonally across the car. ....

I wonder what your brother would make of that?

I think he would be impressed by the ingenuity & effort, he is an engineer of sorts (chemical engineering, but more management now). However he would be happier that it was in someone else's BMW, rather than his!

Wildlife can be a bit of a problem, not so much spiders, more usually it is woodlice & earwigs.

It was very generous of Tom to add a large spider to the interior equipment of his friend's car!wink.pngunsure.png

But it sounds like he did warn the owner, in case it appeared unexpectedly at some inopportune momentohmy.png.

• Like 1

I do like a trip out to Tesco, which got the 405 a tank of diesel and me a fridge of beer... :wink:

WP_20160806_16_44_17_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club