Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus ST 2017 Exhaust System Upgrade Assistance!

skullyi

Hey all!

So I'm back in the tinkering stage and I'm looking for some assistance!  Now I am by no means a mechanic so I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help out a novice who only knows the basics!

I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust system on my gorgeous Focus ST-3, now I know its by no means the most throaty sounding Ford BUT I love the sound and the feeling from driving it and I want to make her more audible!

But I have some conditions to her upgrade (hence the need for peoples knowledge)

• I want to keep the original Focus ST muffler because I love how it looks!
  • I want the sound to stay true to the Focus sound, just deeper and a little more throaty, none of this hairdryer sounding malarkey!
  • I do want a performance increase too, obviously minimal but an increase none the less

Now I know its not only the exhaust system that will help with this so I'm trying to piece together a set of upgrades that will increase performance, improve sound but stay true to the Focus.

So here I am asking for help from you guys, I don't want to go to a mechanic and ask as I know for a fact they will charge the world for a "start to finish" style upgrade.  Has anyone upgraded the ST? if so I need your advice!

You can do a resonator delete to give it a more throaty sound.

https://www.pipedynamics.co.uk/products/ford-focus-st-250-resonator-delete-pipe

A bluefin remap you just plug into the odb port and load the map.

https://www.mybluefin.co.uk/

A cold air intake mod like k&n for example will give more bhp and extra sound.

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/cold-air-intakes?gclid=CjwKCAiA44LzBRB-EiwA-jJipOGGdQDWdAHSq9oSCPppPn0eBKdpm0tv7EfEaneP_nsGJKGCvKUBmRoCBWgQAvD_BwE

• Like 2

I’ve done a resonator delete and it’s perfect. More throaty and idle sounds really good. Loved the look of the stock exhaust (looks like a hdmi port lol)

When you have it done, or do it yourself... let it bed in for a few hundred miles and the difference is really noticeable from when you first remove it.

Cost me £40 from an exhaust place near me. Rather than using clamps they welded it, which was nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Oh and as for mods I’ve done the following:

- bluefin remap

- resonator delete

- upgraded rear motor mount

- gps tracker

- OBD port has been disabled (theft of ST’s is rife in Manchester)

- OBD port disabled sticker to stop my window being out through again. Yes, someone tried to steal my car whilst I was at work by putting the drivers side window through and going straight for the OBD port. Luckily I disabled this when I first got the car. This happened 2 weeks ago.

- k&n filter with no air box lid.

Try removing your air box lid with the stock filter still in place, you’ll be surprised with the noise difference.

Hope this helps :)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, F0CUE said:

You can do a resonator delete to give it a more throaty sound.

https://www.pipedynamics.co.uk/products/ford-focus-st-250-resonator-delete-pipe

A bluefin remap you just plug into the odb port and load the map.

https://www.mybluefin.co.uk/

A cold air intake mod like k&n for example will give more bhp and extra sound.

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/cold-air-intakes?gclid=CjwKCAiA44LzBRB-EiwA-jJipOGGdQDWdAHSq9oSCPppPn0eBKdpm0tv7EfEaneP_nsGJKGCvKUBmRoCBWgQAvD_BwE

Okay, I'm liking the sound of that!  Although given my car is slightly newer than yours I imagine it would sound a bit different (not much but a bit)

I'm impressed with Bluefin's expected performance increase!  Not something I would've expected!  I was going to get my local to do a remap for me since I know a guy around by me who does them on the cheap!

I need to have a closer look at K&N, considering thats only a £200 mod for the car I'd be up for doing that pretty soon actually.

20 hours ago, Monks600 said:

I’ve done a resonator delete and it’s perfect. More throaty and idle sounds really good. Loved the look of the stock exhaust (looks like a hdmi port lol)

When you have it done, or do it yourself... let it bed in for a few hundred miles and the difference is really noticeable from when you first remove it.

Cost me £40 from an exhaust place near me. Rather than using clamps they welded it, which was nice.

Yeah, I can see the piping is pretty cheap!  Definitely going to look into this for my girl!  I have a thing for the muscle sound (Should've bought that Mustang I was after.... shame I need the MPG! haha!)

20 hours ago, Monks600 said:

Oh and as for mods I’ve done the following:

- bluefin remap

- resonator delete

- upgraded rear motor mount

- gps tracker

- OBD port has been disabled (theft of ST’s is rife in Manchester)

- OBD port disabled sticker to stop my window being out through again. Yes, someone tried to steal my car whilst I was at work by putting the drivers side window through and going straight for the OBD port. Luckily I disabled this when I first got the car. This happened 2 weeks ago.

- k&n filter with no air box lid.

Try removing your air box lid with the stock filter still in place, you’ll be surprised with the noise difference.

Hope this helps 🙂

Ooooh! you've done a few then!  You happy with the results?

33 minutes ago, skullyi said:

Okay, I'm liking the sound of that!  Although given my car is slightly newer than yours I imagine it would sound a bit different (not much but a bit)

I'm impressed with Bluefin's expected performance increase!  Not something I would've expected!  I was going to get my local to do a remap for me since I know a guy around by me who does them on the cheap!

I need to have a closer look at K&N, considering thats only a £200 mod for the car I'd be up for doing that pretty soon actually.

Yeah, I can see the piping is pretty cheap!  Definitely going to look into this for my girl!  I have a thing for the muscle sound (Should've bought that Mustang I was after.... shame I need the MPG! haha!)

I don't have one but read up on stuff for when I do so have lot of info on upgrades. I currently have a 1.6 boat that fights to move the focus weight around but it manages to get me to work and back. That has had the resonator deleted by me and it's throaty so I imagine yours would sound amazing. If your pockets are deep then there is always the mountune route.

The main ones for me were security. It’s my pride and joy :)

And the resonator delete was so so worth it. It should have been like that from the factory.

The air filter is worth it and the rear motor mount helps with torque steer and stops the wheel hop when giving it beans in 1st/2nd gear.

Oh forgot to mention, with mine being the president face lift mk3 st I also upgraded to Sync 2 from the Sony headunit, well worth it :) 00177d0a14aec36fcb52726c30853b7c.plist

Here she is at the moment! Absolutely love the colour.

Just thought of more minor mods I did...

- switch back led wing mirror indicators
- heko wind deflectors
- painted the callipers red
- LED Bulbs internal and external

• Like 1

If interested I have an RS airbox lid modified with an ST grille instead.
Open to sensible offers.
Also have a hardly used K&N filter. (Not the open ended type as used in the Mountune kit but still better airflow).
Also a Mountune alloy crossover pipe, again open to sensible offers.

90daa0e0c79e6ffbfb8a29165635c456.jpg
51ffaf8715b90a817457065a4326e3f9.jpg
02cd4fe17a2be90663c71b9ba9907d30.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If interested I have an RS airbox lid modified with an ST grille instead.
Open to sensible offers.
Also have a hardly used K&N filter. (Not the open ended type as used in the Mountune kit but still better airflow).
Also a Mountune alloy crossover pipe, again open to sensible offers.

90daa0e0c79e6ffbfb8a29165635c456.jpg&key=769ed637ac4594a75a9a5dadedf03915c74516d8baf79f21aaf983cab514a818
51ffaf8715b90a817457065a4326e3f9.jpg&key=b85a2d37b7dcda25b3f7c88fbc3a711d73a1942d50c57276a8a7229fd71e017b
02cd4fe17a2be90663c71b9ba9907d30.jpg&key=7d5bb1b6c99a3db43e21a1b2cf548fa8f8b2e85ff9c520fa2ed7aacb02650203

I honestly wouldn’t know what to offer for the crossover pipe. How much would you be happy with? Quite interested :)

I honestly wouldn’t know what to offer for the crossover pipe. How much would you be happy with? Quite interested :)

This is the full price of the full kit (cais plus filter)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331594162657

I'd take £130 and chuck in my K&N as well if you want it.

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

This is the full price of the full kit (cais plus filter)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331594162657

I'd take £130 and chuck in my K&N as well if you want it.

If Monks doesn't take it I'll bite your hand off for that lot mate. 

Monks gets first refusal.
Cais kit (minus uncapped filter) is about £260 new and filter new is £50 - £70.
Filter has about 3k on it but still well within it's re-oiling schedule.
Cais was used for 6 months, just removed it for a service and never got around to putting it back on.
Acquired it from AlexP at Ford Fair 2018 so has whatever mileage he put into it plus 3k from me.
All in all still a steal at the price [emoji4]

That’s fine Monks gets first dibs of course. 

• Like 1

Monks gets first refusal.
Cais kit (minus uncapped filter) is about £260 new and filter new is £50 - £70.
Filter has about 3k on it but still well within it's re-oiling schedule.
Cais was used for 6 months, just removed it for a service and never got around to putting it back on.
Acquired it from AlexP at Ford Fair 2018 so has whatever mileage he put into it plus 3k from me.
All in all still a steal at the price [emoji4]

Hey, circumstances have changed so feel free to offer it to the other person! Sorry on the delay, been a long day! Cheers!

Hey, circumstances have changed so feel free to offer it to the other person! Sorry on the delay, been a long day! Cheers!

@The Finance Guy

Over to you then fella.

Yours if you want.

Will PM you mate

• Like 1

Sold [emoji41]

16 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Sold emoji41.png

It’s just too easy for me to spend money. I’m the quickest there is when it comes to buying things I didn’t know I needed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It’s just too easy for me to spend money. I’m the quickest there is when it comes to buying things I didn’t know I needed 
Happy to help you spend [emoji6]

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club