Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Coronavirus-A More Serious Thread

Turvey

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks Ted.  It's the indoor supermarket visit that I'm most worried about at the moment.  If it's not considered airborne now, wouldn't even a paper mask stop droplets 'falling' onto your mouth or nose?  I'm also worried the new 'procedures' in stores will force me into closer contact and longer time than I would have otherwise been!  I know exactly the aisles I need to go down and can get round in about 10-15 minutes...if I have to follow arrows, getting stuck behind people and having to wait until they've moved to get something it could take twice as long! :unsure:  

I did manage to walk round the block on Friday without being coughed on by any passers by...  Had to laugh when I got home though, I spent about 20 mins cleaning things before taking the bins out (hate the smell of wet wipes in the bin!)...  The moment I stepped out of the door a second time a police van turned up!! 😮 Thought they were going to shop me for leaving the house twice in one day but they went to another flat fortunately, phew... :laugh: 

I think the key term is "fluid resistant" (the fluid resistant surgical masks are a papery material but assume they're coated in something). If the mask allows droplets to soak through then so will the virus, and has a possibility of coming into contact with your face. I see these "reusable washable" masks for sale everywhere, and just wonder how effective they actually are...

Local shops here don't have the arrows, some queuing to get in, but once in a little free for all. As long as someone doesn't cough/sneeze in your direction within 2m or wipe their hand on you, you should be fine. I took to taking things from behind the front item just from the point of view it's probably been handled the least. I'd try paying contactless, and the cashiers are generally happy to stop at £30 and do a new transaction to allow contactless payments (£45 limit isn't available everywhere yet).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Last night it was announced that those of us in England will have to wear face coverings in shops from July 24th.  £100 fine if you don't!

Best place to buy a good trusted supply of disposables before they all sell out?  :unsure: 

15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Last night it was announced that those of us in England will have to wear face coverings in shops from July 24th.  £100 fine if you don't!

Best place to buy a good trusted supply of disposables before they all sell out?  :unsure: 

I bought some washable ones. This Virus is not going away for a long time so buying washable ones seemed the sensible thing to do.

1 minute ago, Tizer said:

I bought some washable ones. This Virus is not going away for a long time so buying washable ones seemed the sensible thing to do.

I hate waste, especially plastic waste, but I really don't like the thought of washing a mask with my pants and then putting it back on my face. :laugh:  

How much did you pay for them?

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I hate waste, especially plastic waste, but I really don't like the thought of washing a mask with my pants and then putting it back on my face. :laugh:  

How much did you pay for them?

Ha ha I'm sure there must be a young lady near you who would wash it with her stuff 😊.

I bought them  back in March because I knew that the prices would go up and the supply would go down but I can't remember how much they were. They are some kind of stretchy man made fabric and are not much of a chore to wear.

They can be hand washed and take up the same amount of room as a hanky.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Lol, bought a bulk pack of 50 off amazon a couple of months back just in case. About £20 I think.

Going to get a couple of washables I think, though, in view of this latest announcement, although I'll just been going through the motions ie on at the last minute and off as soon as I leave a shop. I've seen the renewable type at anything from £5 upwards but will have a search on the web for best deal in the next few days.

• Like 1

Up here there's a lot of folk making reusable ones fairly cheap 😉

Doesn't have to be a mask, just a face covering ie scarve, bandana etc are acceptable coverings. Have a look on amazon etc for snood as well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skull-Mask-Balaclava-Paintball-Bandana/dp/B017A0OCSI&ved=2ahUKEwiE2czFu8zqAhW3SEEAHRFzCVkQFjACegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw12Mo4SoangeAFFYJXxeahF

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol, bought a bulk pack of 50 off Amazon a couple of months back just in case. About £20 I think.

I've just seen a pack of 50 for £9.99 at Home Bargains...  Knowing my luck I'd catch Corona going in store to buy them so maybe paying a little more online is worth it! :laugh: 

I also had a rescan on my shopping yesterday, so had to get close to a person, and have them fondle all the shopping I'd carefully selected from the back on the shelf! :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've just seen a pack of 50 for £9.99 at Home Bargains...  Knowing my luck I'd catch Corona going in store to buy them so maybe paying a little more online is worth it! :laugh: 

Lol, yes they have got cheaper as time has gone on but there might be another rush like the toilet roll fiasco. Is someone in Government in league with face mask suppliers I wonder?

They keep talking about following "the science" on these things but "the science" seems to have been going round in circles. Not long ago that "the science" was quoted as saying masks could be dangerous as it would trap stuff close to your face and you'd constantly breathe it in!😃 

One thing for sure - this measure makes me even less likely to physically go in shops and more likely to shop on line, most people I know are saying the same.

I was trying to work out what to do when filling up. You're already faced with the dilemma of using plastic gloves or not - I decided I would do more touching stuff getting the gloves out of a dispenser, putting them on, taking them off etc so I don't but go straight home and thoroughly wash. But are you supposed to "mask" when just popping in to pay? I guess it would count as a "shop"?

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've seen the renewable type at anything from £5 upwards but will have a search on the web for best deal in the next few days.

Update! Mrs has just bought a couple in the Co-op for £3 each!

• Like 1

Lol, yes they have got cheaper as time has gone on but there might be another rush like the toilet roll fiasco. Is someone in Government in league with face mask suppliers I wonder?

They keep talking about following "the science" on these things but "the science" seems to have been going round in circles. Not long ago that "the science" was quoted as saying masks could be dangerous as it would trap stuff close to your face and you'd constantly breathe it in!😃 

One thing for sure - this measure makes me even less likely to physically go in shops and more likely to shop on line, most people I know are saying the same.

I was trying to work out what to do when filling up. You're already faced with the dilemma of using plastic gloves or not - I decided I would do more touching stuff getting the gloves out of a dispenser, putting them on, taking them off etc so I don't but go straight home and thoroughly wash. But are you supposed to "mask" when just popping in to pay? I guess it would count as a "shop"?

I would assume the fuel kiosk counts as a shop yeah... In fairness, think how many people will cough and spit over the poor till attendant in a single shift! :laugh: 

I did use gloves last time, but took my own with me, never have done before.  If you go gloveless, probably best to then use sanitizer immediately after touching the pump, before touching your keys or wallet.  If not, you've potentially contaminated the door handle, steering wheel, gear knob, handbrake, belt buckle, indicator and light stalks, interior door handle, window switch, and possibly the radio or HVAC controls...  And then your house keys, front door handle, bathroom door handle, tap handle, etc...   At least with shopping things are only likely to have been touched once by the shelf filler...a petrol pump must be touched in exactly the same place hundreds of times a day. :unsure: 

• Like 1

https://www.theregister.com/2020/07/14/cornish_pub_electric_fence/

107862310_10158446910783158_6391675933895772257_o.jpg

• Like 1

Got some reusable masks from amazon last month. They come in various colours, and include a pocket so you can pop a disposable filter in them. Very handy, plus if I wear the camo one it looks like I'm going mugging - which should help encourage social distancing 🙂

• Like 1

My eldest daughter is making masks the past few months on her sewing machine 

IMG-20200502-WA0011.thumb.jpg.279242a42196a9c3abcc8871293d0763.jpg

IMG-20200502-WA0012.thumb.jpg.ca5c63f14c4c8f91992e7bf345b3248c.jpg

IMG-20200516-WA0012.thumb.jpg.f1d8a3bf9005177e1ae688f37abab0d1.jpg

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

Very handy, plus if I wear the camo one it looks like I'm going mugging - which should help encourage social distancing 🙂

I suffer from RBF which is generally good for that...slightly worried people will get closer if I wear a mask!  Though it does mean I can stop all the unnecessary mini-smiles every time I pass someone!  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I suffer from RBF

Had to Google that! 😆

• Haha 1

Still trying to get my head round this face covering thing. As I see it, if I pop into my deserted Co-op first thing for my usual paper, milk etc, which takes about 2 minutes, I have to cover up, which means either using and throwing away a disposable mask, or having to wash a reusable one, with the associated environmental impact.

But apparently I could sit all day in a pub or cafe without needing one. I'm struggling to see the logic here - am I missing something?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turvey said:

Had to Google that! 😆

Yes, so did I. But @TomsFocus, how does Radial Basis Function affect your daily life? Or did you mean the other definition?😃

• Haha 1

I think it was the other option [emoji1787]
I always called it cow face.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

Still trying to get my head round this face covering thing. As I see it, if I pop into my deserted Co-op first thing for my usual paper, milk etc, which takes about 2 minutes, I have to cover up, which means either using and throwing away a disposable mask, or having to wash a reusable one, with the associated environmental impact.

But apparently I could sit all day in a pub or cafe without needing one. I'm struggling to see the logic here - am I missing something?

Pub tables have been separated so you'll be 2m apart - except for family members that have decided they don't mind being coated in your dribble so sit on the same table.  You'd have to mask up to walk past others to use the loo afaik.

I'm not a fan of the new rule either though.  I go shopping super early when there's no one about, and use self service checkouts.  I've rarely felt close enough to anyone for it to be an issue...I spend my life socially distancing anyway, I had contamination OCD long before it became cool! :rolleyes:

Yes, so did I. But @TomsFocus, how does Radial Basis Function affect your daily life? Or did you mean the other definition?😃

Haha, resting b*tch face is a serious condition!  😠 (No I'm not grumpy, my face just looks like that! :tongue: )

To bring this back on topic...  I've ordered a pack of 50 disposables from eBay for £8.99 this morning.  Sorry planet. :sad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm not a fan of the new rule either though.  I go shopping super early when there's no one about, and use self service checkouts.  I've rarely felt close enough to anyone for it to be an issue...I spend my life socially distancing anyway, I had contamination OCD long before it became cool! :rolleyes:

Yeah, you're clearly capable of using a bit of common sense. The argument for these rules is no doubt that they have to cater for people who won't do that, so everyone has to be inconvenienced.😡 

Looks like a good price on the disposables, but you do wonder where they're going to get disposed of? No doubt some idiots will try flushing them down the loo!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Looks like a good price on the disposables, but you do wonder where they're going to get disposed of?

Well, the Mrs has just answered that one. She just came back from an eye test (which is in an area where there are shops) and said they were just strewn everywhere - and this is before they are made mandatory. 

The eye test was a nightmare also apparently. She had to mask up as did the optometrist (who wears specs himself) so he was steaming up, her specs were steaming up, as were all the testing lenses, so it took for ever. Mrs B was not a happy bunny on her return!

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club