Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Coronavirus-A More Serious Thread

Turvey

On 3/22/2020 at 2:13 PM, iantt said:

The news reports are showing alot of folk out and about in the country side . Really?? Asked to stay at home. Now we all will be TOLD to stay at home except to go to work and food shopping. Just goes to show how thick a large section of our population are!!! 

This is right, why can't people just listen for a few weeks or so, this is not a joke and laugh its one simple word for people with problems......DEATH.

Its gets up my back looking after my dad who is 91 and stuck in bed,i have seen a nice few out and this is my 3rd day in now only cares come in for 15 mins twice to sort him out and they are following the rules with gloves etc.

15 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

UK now on lockdown

Good! About time. 

Garages left right and center closing, supposedly the DVSA had no response RE MOT expiry during lockdown. Anyone know what the situation is? 

Expected it really.

Good decision though, I see South Africa also being locked down. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jbell said:

Garages left right and center closing, supposedly the DVSA had no response RE MOT expiry during lockdown. Anyone know what the situation is? 

In an email tonight, one official replied to a query: "I appreciate this is a difficult time for the whole country, at this moment in time there is no exemption or extension from MOT testing, and no contingency plan in place.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/how-mot-tests-affected-uk-17968884

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turvey said:

In an email tonight, one official replied to a query: "I appreciate this is a difficult time for the whole country, at this moment in time there is no exemption or extension from MOT testing, and no contingency plan in place.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/how-mot-tests-affected-uk-17968884

Not really fair? What happens if an essential personal is expected to get to work..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Fs what a terrible response from the government. 

9 hours ago, Nick Y said:

UK now on lockdown

About time......... Health first to yourself and others........ Should have been done a few weeks ago then it would not of risen so fast.

7 hours ago, Sly said:

Expected it really.

Good decision though, I see South Africa also being locked down. 

Well good luck with rounding all of them up 🤠

7 hours ago, Turvey said:

So it wont be completely like the movie "Mad Max" on the roads 😅 theres still regulations 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sly said:

Not really fair? What happens if an essential personal is expected to get to work..

Who's gonna stop you anyway?  I really hope the cops aren't just sitting in laybys on ANPR in the current situation!  

I assume the council MOT stations will have to stay open for Taxi's etc, so key workers would be able to use those.

The daft part of that article is that it mentions you won't be able to keep the vehicle parked on the road when the MOT runs out...which is fine for rich people with driveways...not so much those with only on street parking! :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

According to one source, the situation regarding vehicle MOT is that the DVLA is considering postponing it.

10 hours ago, Turvey said:

As far as I'd expect garages (specifically those who also perform MOT tests) will remain open the same way as hospitals and police stations will since having your vehicle maintained is an essential service, but I could be wrong on that one?

Just checked the government website and looks like maybe they are extending MOTs by 3 months that expire before March 31st?  Not sure if that applies to passenger cars or just commercial vehicles and what will happen to those that expire in April (like my mother's Toyota that runs out April 10th)...  Presumably if the situation is such that testing is not readily available then all tests will have to be extended until this gets under control. 

Makes you wonder though if garages are still open to repair cars (which they will have to be) then why can't they test them?

To be honest though even if it is extended by 6 months I don't think it'll make much difference to safety as there are cars that still have 8 months MOT but have worn out brakes and bald tyres, plus people shouldn't be driving much now.

52 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Just checked the government website and looks like maybe they are extending MOTs by 3 months that expire before March 31st?  Not sure if that applies to passenger cars or just commercial vehicles and what will happen to those that expire in April (like my mother's Toyota that runs out April 10th)...  Presumably if the situation is such that testing is not readily available then all tests will have to be extended until this gets under control. 

Makes you wonder though if garages are still open to repair cars (which they will have to be) then why can't they test them?

To be honest though even if it is extended by 6 months I don't think it'll make much difference to safety as there are cars that still have 8 months MOT but have worn out brakes and bald tyres, plus people shouldn't be driving much now.

There are currently more than one million vehicles on Britain's roads that have no tax, insurance or MOT that are unroadworthy. There are second hand cars on the road that have just been purchased that have 12 months ticket but I bet that if they were re-tested 90% would fail. I once bought a car from an independent dealer/garage that had 12 months MOT but discovered that it had a bald tyre on it plus they had removed the rear load cover and the dog guard and when I went to pick the vehicle up the apprentice mechanic was removing the tow bar and hitch, the sh**t hit the fan I can tell you!, needless to say, I never went back and dealt with them again.

On our local news the Police are stopping cars on the outskirts of Plymouth asking the driver what they're doing.

Ours have still been out with the camera vans this week as usual. Thought they might have had other priorities at present.

• Sad 1

2 garages and a tyre place near me are open one fixes cars and does mots the other is a body repair shop

The Government has announced a temporary 'Nightingale' hospital in the ExCel centre in london and thousands of staff returning to the NHS (plus deployment of final year medical students & final year student Nurses).

I think that after all this is over a pay rise for Doctors & Nurses will be the least they deserve.

Sent from my SM-G965F

• Like 2

@Stoney871 how do you and your colleagues prevent yourselves from slapping the beje$us out of people like this? 😞

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/health/coronavirus-covid19/2020/03/24/group-who-gather-for-street-barbecue-during-coronavirus-lockdown-condemned/

57 minutes ago, Turvey said:

@Stoney871 how do you and your colleagues prevent yourselves from slapping the beje$us out of people like this? 😞

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/health/coronavirus-covid19/2020/03/24/group-who-gather-for-street-barbecue-during-coronavirus-lockdown-condemned/

Just tazer the morons

• Like 1

Counting to ten helps. [emoji2958]

Sent from my SM-G965F

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club