Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where to read dipstick?

Banana4Life

Hi,

On my mk2 Focus duratec dipstick there is faint trail of oil that goes above the max line. However there is a dark patch that is just above the minimum mark. Where should I be reading from? Picture attached. Not experienced in this stuff so thanks!

Picture here

It's likely that the top splash of oil (above the max) has been an errant drop of oil on dragging the dipstick out. Wipe it clean with a cotton rag and try again. You should get a 'clean' reading next time to show you the level. Wait at least 10 minutes after engine is stopped to allow the oil to all run back into the sump... (Oh, and make sure your car is sitting level and not on a slope)

• Like 1

I always take the filler cap off as well to ensure there isn’t any oil still high up trapped by an air lock/Vacuum 👍

The oil looks very clean. After you wipe the dipstick reinsert it and count to 5, remove it again and the oil level should be half way between the min and max marks. Make sure the car is on level standing and best done cold.

I've got a duratec engine, and the same happens to me, what I do, is all of the above, but when re inserting the dipstick after wiping it (no smutty innuendos please) I also turn the dipstick 360° a couple of times and that seems to get a better reading. Don't know why it does this but someone mentioned it to me on here a few years ago.

• Like 1

A library of course!!!

What a wally!!

• Haha 1

Crikey, a whole thread devoted on 'how to read a dipstick', who'd have thought LOL 🤣

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club