Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help please ''dead'' Focus MKIV 1.5 diesel 19 plate

MONDEO TXS 2.2

12 minutes ago, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

Thanks for that, try as i might i just can't see anything to pry or push or pull although i can get a finger in from the top there's no obvious clip, surely it can't be this difficult ! I can't understand why the passenger door won't open on the manual key that unlocks the drivers door 

If you enlarge my attached picture you can just see what I'm talking about through the gap at the top of the lever.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

The black item I mentioned looks like some sort of cam that you could push against but I'm sure its very difficult to see from drivers side. The key will only open the drivers door as it mechanically releases the lock. You would normally only need to use this if the car has been left for several weeks and gone into sleep mode whereby it won't respond to the keyfob. The fact that you can't open the passenger door from the inside indicates you must have deadlocked the car when you last locked it

Thanks for that , yes i agree as I always deadlock the car - in hindsight, what an idiot am I 😀

29 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

See if you can get hold of a booster pack that plugs into the lighter socket.

It should at least give enough power to unlock the doors.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Clive, problem is everywhere is shut due to lockdown & in any case i'd need to drive to wherever is open & i can't do that, failing all else i'll call out Ford assist tomorrow & see what happens, until then i've got full faith in the power of Ford Owners Club

27 minutes ago, Comares2001 said:

If you enlarge my attached picture you can just see what I'm talking about through the gap at the top of the lever.

Thank you, yes I've tried enlarging your pic but just can't see anything resembling that, my pull lever & surround is black which makes things more difficult to see too.

I had a look at mine and couldn’t see the tab they’ve highlighted in purple in the manual. I can see a slot on the top but not sure what use that is. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I had a look at mine and couldn’t see the tab they’ve highlighted in purple in the manual. I can see a slot on the top but not sure what use that is. 

OK thanks for your help Alex & thanks to all others that tried to assist, there must be a way to remove the bonnet release lever - maybe Ford assist will have the answer when i call them out tomorrow.

Thanks to all once again.

They might have a 12v socket compatible charger/booster to get power to the door as Stoney says. 

That’s assuming the circuit design allows power to travel in that direction and it’s not isolated

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

They might have a 12v socket compatible charger/booster to get power to the door as Stoney says. 

That’s assuming the circuit design allows power to travel in that direction and it’s not isolated

When i have the answer I'll be sure to post on here for the benefit of others as this must occur reasonably frequently, especially if there's a parasitic drain involved,

Ford assist are on their way so we'll soon see how there's a way to resolve the bonnet opening issue.

I think Ford's contract is with the AA.

They were quite resourceful when my window got stuck down once, I think they ended up taking the door card off and just connecting power directly to the motor. Did the job, haha.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I think Ford's contract is with the AA.

They were quite resourceful when my window got stuck down once, I think they ended up taking the door card off and just connecting power directly to the motor. Did the job, haha.

Up until 2018 i was an A.A. member for 25 years, only called them out twice in all that time, on the second occasion the Mondeo misbehaved at Fishguard port en-route to Ireland, long story short, the A.A. didn't turn up & the Mondeo spent a week in Ireland in limp mode - thereby ending my 25 years as a member !

We have a winner !

A.A. patrolman turns up after just 15 minutes, he's seen the issue before & as stated by Alex & others there is indeed a securing clip lurking behind the release cover as shown in previous pictures uploaded by forum members, this clip is black & tiny, looks like an inverted '' L'' or a '' T '' without the left hand part of the top of the T, & sits flush with the top of the cover, so almost impossible to see, it functions a bit like a split pin, you need a small flat blade screwdriver inserted horizontally to lever the horizontal part of the L / T upwards, it needs complete removal & is likely to fall into the void where the bonnet release cover was, it is retrievable though. Then as previously mentioned use an appropriate sized socket & turn clockwise twice to pop the bonnet.

Many thanks to all those who contributed to try & assist me.👍

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, MONDEO TXS 2.2 said:

We have a winner !

A.A. patrolman turns up after just 15 minutes, he's seen the issue before & as stated by Alex & others there is indeed a securing clip lurking behind the release cover as shown in previous pictures uploaded by forum members, this clip is black & tiny, looks like an inverted '' L'' or a '' T '' without the left hand part of the top of the T, & sits flush with the top of the cover, so almost impossible to see, it functions a bit like a split pin, you need a small flat blade screwdriver inserted horizontally to lever the horizontal part of the L / T upwards, it needs complete removal & is likely to fall into the void where the bonnet release cover was, it is retrievable though. Then as previously mentioned use an appropriate sized socket & turn clockwise twice to pop the bonnet.

Many thanks to all those who contributed to try & assist me.👍

Good news but what was the original problem. Just a flat battery or more sinister?

Had a similar issue tge other day but I could open the passenger door to release the bonnet.  I Always double lock the car too as its left on public road everynight. 

Mine turned out to be a flat battery. Completely dead.

Replaced battery and bought a plug in gizmo that fits into tge cig lighter and gives me a reading of the battery charge whilst the car is both being driven and when its switched off. 

It was a 12.7 after a quick run around the block to make sure it was working ok. By the time id reset the windows bounce back and everythin else it was down to 12.2. 

Left the car alone yesterday and used it today and it was at 11.9 this morning but after a hours drive today it was back up to 12.7. 

Will see what it is in the morning. 

20200420_151116.jpg

20200420_151745.jpg

20200420_151745.jpg

20200420_151221.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Had a similar issue tge other day but I could open the passenger door to release the bonnet.  I Always double lock the car too as its left on public road everynight. 

Mine turned out to be a flat battery. Completely dead.

Replaced battery and bought a plug in gizmo that fits into tge cig lighter and gives me a reading of the battery charge whilst the car is both being driven and when its switched off. 

It was a 12.7 after a quick run around the block to make sure it was working ok. By the time id reset the windows bounce back and everythin else it was down to 12.2. 

Left the car alone yesterday and used it today and it was at 11.9 this morning but after a hours drive today it was back up to 12.7. 

Will see what it is in the morning. 

20200420_151116.jpg

20200420_151745.jpg

20200420_151745.jpg

20200420_151221.jpg

If you were able to open the passenger door then it wasn't deadlocked.Thats the whole point of the feature. Perhaps you should check its actually working OK,?

• Like 1

When I locked the car the puddle lights flashed twice so does tgat mean the car is deadlocked or not ? 

I managed to get into my car by using the keyfob but after it let me in that was the last thing it allowed me to do. I couldnt lock the car up afterwards unless I used the metal key inside the keyfob. 

Deadlocking is when you double lock the car. So press the button on either the fob or keyless sensor twice. You hear an extra movement of the mechanism.

It stops the interior door handles working. 

I always do it out of habit, so I’d have the same problem not being able to open the passenger door with a dead battery

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wino said:

When I locked the car the puddle lights flashed twice so does tgat mean the car is deadlocked or not ? 

I managed to get into my car by using the keyfob but after it let me in that was the last thing it allowed me to do. I couldnt lock the car up afterwards unless I used the metal key inside the keyfob. 

Indicator lights should flash twice after you press the lock button on  remote twice  to indicate car is double locked. Maybe your remote battery has now failed did you try second fob?

21 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

Good news but what was the original problem. Just a flat battery or more sinister?

The battery was discharged / flat, although quite why it discharged within a week is a mystery, parasitic drain is the culprit i expect

12 hours ago, Comares2001 said:

Indicator lights should flash twice after you press the lock button on  remote twice  to indicate car is double locked. Maybe your remote battery has now failed did you try second fob?

Yes thats correct. I tried both keyfobs with no joy. So ended up replacing the battery. Been fine since ( 3 days) so trying to monitor the charge in the battery for now.

• 1 year later...

I've got the same problem.

Changed battery in fob and couldn't get in. Thought the manual key wasn't working, until I saw someone say to use the fob cover to leverage the key more....got in....then realised I couldn't open door or the bonnet due to passanger door blocking cover.

I will try this later. Then buy a battery charger for £80 for stop start. Unsure why the battery is dead? I commute 14miles/20mins each way (is this enough?)

Car is only 2.5years old, so reluctant to buy a new battery. Just strange how battery is dead. Hopefully can get sorted in next few days.

Is the clip easy to put back on once doing this? It doesn't fall into the car or anything does it? Thanks in advance and wish me luck 🤞

• Confused 1

Hello @Jawz maybe you could update your profile and it would help us to know what car you have now.

Also this question has already been asked, and answered.

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Hello @Jawz maybe you could update your profile and it would help us to know what car you have now.

Also this question has already been asked, and answered.

Sorry bout that. I hadn't seen a notification to say I had a reply. Then when googling saw a shared problem with an already started thread.

My car is a 2019 Ford Focus St Line X (I will update my profile. Thanks for the replies)

• Like 1

My charger has arrived today. There is 2 modes; 'Recond' and 'AGM' which is the right setting for 2019 Ford Focus 1.0 StLine X before I hook it up. Don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully brings the car back alive 🤞

Use AGM first. Charge for at least 8 hours.

If battery fails to fully recharge, then try again with the recondition mode.

Remember: Positive (red) lead of charger on to the positive + battery terminal.

Negative (black) lead of charger on to the main chassis earth point, Do NOT connect to the battery terminal.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club