Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrol filler door won’t open

TomBaz

Hello, newbie here but after some help!

We have a 2016 Ford Galaxy Titanium. I went to fill up yesterday and the filler door won’t open. It’s a push and close door but when you push it won’t release and open meaning I cannot refuel.

I may be wrong but I don’t think it’s connected to the central locking system(?) and really don’t want to take it to a garage for what seems like such a simple fix!

Does anyone have any experience of this or can anyone suggest any way of solving this issue. My wife was due to give birth last Thursday and I really can’t be running out of petrol any time soon!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

21 hours ago, TomBaz said:

Hello, newbie here but after some help!

We have a 2016 Ford Galaxy Titanium. I went to fill up yesterday and the filler door won’t open. It’s a push and close door but when you push it won’t release and open meaning I cannot refuel.

I may be wrong but I don’t think it’s connected to the central locking system(?) and really don’t want to take it to a garage for what seems like such a simple fix!

Does anyone have any experience of this or can anyone suggest any way of solving this issue. My wife was due to give birth last Thursday and I really can’t be running out of petrol any time soon!

Thanks in advance,

Tom

It is connected to the central locking so that is why it will not open bar will not retract

1 hour ago, rbrown3 said:

It is connected to the central locking so that is why it will not open bar will not retract

Ah right, wasn’t aware. Thanks. Would you know if this would be a job for the garage or dealership to fix or could I do it myself?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I had this occur on my 2011 MK2 Ford Galaxy Titanium. I thought I'd post the solution here for others. Fortunately, it's quite simple.
First of all, check the fuse. It may have blown. There is a individual fuse for the filler flap solenoid located in the fuse box on the passenger's side. If this is OK, it may be your solenoid.

The fuel filler flap is locked by a solenoid. It pushes a small white plastic cylinder into the flap housing on the left hand side of the fuel filler (if you are standing outside the car looking at the fuel filler flap). The solenoid is located from inside the car and is accessible.

Remove the access panel in the boot area.

3.jpg

You'll see some grey foam covering a recess, next to an array of relays. Push that foam to the right hand side, or remove it.

2.jpg

You can now see the solenoid and the wiring loom. It's held in place without any screws. You just need to get your hands on it and rotate it 45 degrees towards you - towards the centre of the car. This will release it from the fuel housing and you can pull it towards you.

1.jpg

Check whether it is working by locking and unlocking the car. You should see the white cylinder move out and in.
If it isn't, check disconnect the wiring loom. If you have a multimeter, check that when you press the keys a short burst of +12V and -12V is applied across the terminals (depending upon locking or unlocking).

If you are seeing a voltage, then the solenoid has broken. Search on eBay. A new one from the dealer is about £120. eBay sells used ones for about £20. It took me 2 minutes to refit the replacement.

I hope this helps.

Edited by ChaosTesting
Resequenced the images
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

@ChaosTesting

This has been really helpful, I've managed to remove the solenoid/wiring loom, but how do you disconnect the wiring loom. My hands are a bit arthritic and I also dont want to apply too much force and break anything - I cant test further as you describe until I've exposed the terminals.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club