Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First 12 months - To Service or not to Service??

Zetec-S-Line

Hi

Just looking for some advice as our Edge is coming up to 12 months since first registration at the start of August.

Normally, that would lead to me booking it in at my local dealers to get a service done, but I know the service intervals are 2 years rather than 12 months, so I'm not sure what I should get done.  The Ford Pass app has messaged me and said it needs an oil change (oil life is at 8%), but isn't that basically what a 12 month service is anyway?

Just confused what I should be doing at this stage really, so any advance greatly received.

Thanks

I recently got contacted by Ford re my '3 year service' - which technically I didn't think existed given the service schedule so also interested in what people are doing.  I assumed it was to get the MOT job too, so interested they did this for a 1 year service. Ford said that they found customers not being comfortable  leaving 2 years between services/checkups ,but weren't pushy at all and said it didn't affect anything warranty wise if not done.  They said they would check fluid levels, top up the oil if required ( up to 1 litre ) , general health check and would provide a year of Ford Assist. I think they quoted about £110 which for a main dealer didn't seem bad, but as I say not technically part of the schedule. Tempted because if they find anything I have some hope of it being covered under warranty - it did have a quick inspection recently when it went in for a warranty item so not really expecting anything.

The official service interval on most current Fords is 2 years or 18,000 miles, whichever comes up sooner.

Ford recommend a "convenience check" at 12 months which is what Mike refers to above. You don't invalidate your warranty if you don't have it, but you will get an extension to Ford Assist, otherwise you need to sort your own breakdown cover for the next 12 months.

However, the service interval carries the caveat: "Have your vehicle serviced earlier if the oil change reminder illuminates" and as you've been alerted by Ford Pass and your oil life is down to 8%, you need to get it sorted with your dealer.

A lot of members on here (myself included) are not comfortable with the 2 year interval and have had the "convenience check" plus an oil/filter change at 12 months anyway irrespective of mileage - in effect a minor service, as you suggest.

• Like 1

Thanks.

That's really useful information, so I'll ask for a convenience check then.  I wasn't sure of the Ford Assist position as well, so that clarified that.

I've got to book my Kuga (5 years old) in at the same time and that needs its MOT asap so thanks again.

9 minutes ago, Zetec-S-Line said:

so I'll ask for a convenience check then. 

Plus an oil/filter change!😃

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The official service interval on most current Fords is 2 years or 18,000 miles, whichever comes up sooner.

Ford recommend a "convenience check" at 12 months which is what Mike refers to above. You don't invalidate your warranty if you don't have it, but you will get an extension to Ford Assist, otherwise you need to sort your own breakdown cover for the next 12 months.

However, the service interval carries the caveat: "Have your vehicle serviced earlier if the oil change reminder illuminates" and as you've been alerted by Ford Pass and your oil life is down to 8%, you need to get it sorted with your dealer.

A lot of members on here (myself included) are not comfortable with the 2 year interval and have had the "convenience check" plus an oil/filter change at 12 months anyway irrespective of mileage - in effect a minor service, as you suggest.

Personally I think an oil and filter change is the single best thing you can do to increase engine life and reliability. I absolutely would not let a new car go 2 years without one. If you only do short miles the oil can often get contaminated with condensation because its not getting hot enough to evaporate it, if you do decent mileage then the oil gets used and wears. If the main dealer is too expensive get it done somewhere else, just use OEM quality parts and a VAT reg'd garage.

I have done my own oil and filter imbetween services and never had an issue, but to paint the full picture I've only eved had 1 warrantee claim and it was an electric window failure that would be hard to blame on the oil filter.

I have had two scheduled services and two interim checks to keep my Ford Assist valid. I do a fair bit of local short journeys so the oil degrades quicker than it would if I was doing longer journeys. Strangely the mileage at each service has been just over 15,000. I’ve got a service plan which is great to have and I would recommend it. 

Mine is going in for the convenience service in the morning - I had a quote for an oil and filter change for an additional £150 - does this sound reasonable? I have held off for now as I haven't had a chance to phone around, but any advice appreciated.  Many thanks

150 quid for an oil and filter is a bit steep.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

150 quid for an oil and filter is a bit steep.  

Not familiar with the Edge and different car I know, but oil /filter on mine were about £40 at a Ford dealer, so looks like a lot for labour.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine did 81000 in 2.5 years. Had a service plan, but outstripped that pretty fast.

Also Ford say Powershift box oil change at 42k. That cost me £411.00!!!!!

3 hours ago, LiveontheEdge said:

Mine did 81000 in 2.5 years. Had a service plan, but outstripped that pretty fast.

Also Ford say Powershift box oil change at 42k. That cost me £411.00!!!!!

Hopefully it doesn't need attention then as it's 36k or 4 years whichever first.

H

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club