Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Changing Issues

Maverick378

Hi All,

Ive been having an issues with my Fiesta 2013 ecoboost, its intermittent so has been hard for the garage to diagnose as it never happens when they have it.

So the issue is when driving along go to change gear up or down it wont enter into any gear, I have to release the clutch and then try again. it always works the second attempt after releasing and reapplying. 

Similarly the gear gets stuck in reverse, i can either force it out or i have to turn the engine off put into neutral and then can start the car again. 

Along with this the start/stop feature hasnt worked since this issue has been going on so not sure if its all related. 

Has anyone had a similar issue ? I have been tempted to just say to change the clutch but if its the gear box or syncros that are the problem its just wasted money on that. 

Thanks for any help! 

Had a similar problem on my last car.  Turned out to be the clutch slave cylinder.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had gear issues with the same model, although in my case it was difficult to get into 3rd and reverse. You basically had to almost force it in. I took it the garage and they played around with a few things - not sure what. The cost was about 60UKP and it felt like a new car afterwards .I had got so used to it being sh%t.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know if this is happening when it is hot?I have a MK6 and found that the I needed to put copper grease on part of the linkage as it was getting very stiff when hot.

I'd get the clutch bled first and see if that makes a difference, if not then possible slave cylinder or pressure plate issue. Wouldn't have thought it'd be anything internal in the gearbox as you say it's happening in every gear.

definitely clutch related.

As mentioned, get the clutch slave cylinder fluid bled, or even better flushed with clean fluid.

If it doesn't happen when someone else is driving you may not be fully pressing the clutch pedal down, adjust you seat and make sure the pedal is going all the way until it bottoms out.

Or even make sure you don't have a floor mat getting in the way 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 9:24 AM, DaveT70 said:

definitely clutch related.

As mentioned, get the clutch slave cylinder fluid bled, or even better flushed with clean fluid.

If it doesn't happen when someone else is driving you may not be fully pressing the clutch pedal down, adjust you seat and make sure the pedal is going all the way until it bottoms out.

Or even make sure you don't have a floor mat getting in the way 

Hadnt actually thought of the mats, Id say ive had new ones roughly around the time it all started! Should have realised! 

However I had had the clutch changed and the garage confirmed there was some leakage in the master, and they said the clutch was high and was slow to engage. So looks like it did need changing. Its not longer a workout for the leg changing gears. Problem is still occurring occasionally so will remove the mat and see how that goes! 

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out changing the clutch hasnt solved the issue, mats are removed so not these either. 

Running out of ideas on what this could be, clutch is being pushed right down to the floor every time. 

• 1 month later...

Looks like it was the master cylinder under the clutch pedal. 
The seal was inverting when putting the clutch down therefore not creating any pressure. Done a couple of drives and all seems fine ! 

had all other cylinders changed before this one along with the clutch but it was probably due to be changed anyway!

thought I’d just drop it in incase anyone else had problems !  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club