Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil sump plug ?

Ian Lanc

Going to change the oil & filter on my Fiesta soon, never done it on this vehicle so need to know if there's a crush sealing washer or not ?

Engine is the 1.4 petrol on a 10 plate.

Thanks.

If its the sigma engine, then no. It'll be similar to the engine in my mk2.5 1.6 focus.

3 hours ago, Gymfocused said:

If its the sigma engine, then no. It'll be similar to the engine in my mk2.5 1.6 focus.

Must look at the owner's manual really! But it's the same as this.......

IMG_41353-medium.jpg

I was wanting to change my oil and filter never done it before how easy is it to do and can I reuse the plug  its a 2009 diesel 

1 hour ago, casuk said:

I was wanting to change my oil and filter never done it before how easy is it to do and can I reuse the plug  its a 2009 diesel 

Could be helpful.

• Like 1

I can already see one issue with that video before opening it! :laugh:  Wear a pair of gloves for the oily bits. :wink:  

The plug can be reused on the diesels but does come with a copper washer which should be replaced.  

• Like 1

Everyone, make your lives easier and just buy a 20 quid eBay pump.  Use it when the oil is warm, not hot, and never need to undo a sump nut again.

1 minute ago, Guy Heaton said:

Everyone, make your lives easier and just buy a 20 quid ebay pump.  Use it when the oil is warm, not hot, and never need to undo a sump nut again.

£9.99 in LIDL currently!  (If they have any stock left...)

On 9/22/2020 at 10:11 AM, Ian Lanc said:

Going to change the oil & filter on my Fiesta soon, never done it on this vehicle so need to know if there's a crush sealing washer or not ?

Engine is the 1.4 petrol on a 10 plate.

There's a rubber O-ring on the petrols.  You can reuse it a couple of times assuming it hasn't been massively overtightened previously.  They get squashed flat and don't seal properly eventually.

• Like 1

I always use a bottle of flush first. I would recommend undoing the plug and draining it all rather than a pump down the dipstick hole but, that's just mho.

1 hour ago, casuk said:

Would the pump not leave a lot oe oil in the bottom of the sump 

The poor sump design on the early DV engines leaves a lot of oil in there anyway, you'll probably get more out with a pump!

The worry is that 'lumps' of crap stick at the bottom of the sump, but that shouldn't really be happening nowadays and as long as the oil is warm and has been circulated it's even less likely.

For reference, I did my Golf with one last year, very sceptical beforehand, but was amazed at how quick it was and that it pulled the whole 5 litres out!  Only 4.5 litres goes in, the other half was diesel from failed regens lol.  It doesn't work on every car due to dipstick shapes but if you pump into an old 5 litre bottle (screenwash etc) you can easily confirm how much has come out.

• Like 2

I'll no doubt pump it out seems a lot easier and cleaner to do plus I want need to undo the plug, ill  have a look in lidl and see if they have that pump still 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gymfocused said:

I always use a bottle of flush first. I would recommend undoing the plug and draining it all rather than a pump down the dipstick hole but, that's just mho.

What is flush I take it it's a cleaning product that cleans the internal if old oil, how would I go about that, might aswel while I'm doing the change 

Flushing oil is very thin, and designed to get rid of the crud in the oilways and the lisdge 

3 hours ago, casuk said:

Would the pump not leave a lot oe oil in the bottom of the sump 

I've done a few now with a pump and can get the pipe right to the bottom of the pan.  Measuring the amount of oil it got out it did seem to get 99%.  oil needs to be warm, that really helps.

The Merc had a topmounted oil filter as well and it really was nice not having to crawl under the car getting covered with dirt and oil.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, casuk said:

What is flush I take it it's a cleaning product that cleans the internal if old oil, how would I go about that, might aswel while I'm doing the change 

I use stp flush to help clean out the oil ways and sump.

• Like 1

Gone & ordered a pump off eBay! Must be far easier than finding someone with a lift or getting the car up some ramps, fumbling about underneath, getting oil all over the place ?

Thinking about a dealerships and when they service engines! Had our car from brand new and always had the servicing done with Ford, but now the car is over ten years old, it's time to do everything for myself, just can't afford such service charges nowadays, Recently had a very good look under the car and the sump plug was exceptionally clean and never had a spanner on it, so would I be right in thinking a dealership also pumps the oil out ? I reckon so, they must do as there's no sign of spillage or soaked metal around the sump plug area.

Some places pump oil out but Ford dealers don't generally.  They use brake cleaner to remove any spillage so it should be nice and clean.

I took a video when I did mine.  Used a spare battery as I wasn't sure how long it would take but it was so quick I'd just use the cars battery next time.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club