Do Not Sell My Personal Information

68 plate new shape focus bonnet stuck!

Ryan200591

I know you probably have but....

Just checking that you do have the passenger door fully open and that you have pulled the bonnet release handle backwards towards the rear of the car - Twice.

8 hours ago, unofix said:

I know you probably have but....

Just checking that you do have the passenger door fully open and that you have pulled the bonnet release handle backwards towards the rear of the car - Twice.

Yeah. It used to open fine. Well, eventually after a bit more pulling than twice. Suspect it's finally given up now the warranty has expired.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2022 at 12:12 PM, jamieburchell said:

@stroppy Please can you explain in simple terms how to remove the bonnet release handle as described in the manual for a 68 RHD Focus? The manual says insert a screwdriver at the position shown (top of handle) and gently prise the clip upwards. Can't find the clip, handle won't come off. Bonnet won't open, trying to see if it's something I can fix by turning the mechanism manually / realigning the parts before I have to take it for a repair.

Thanks

Jamie

I have the same problem. Tried the screwdriver removal but no joy, plastic lever will not budge. Frightened I make it worse by using too much strength.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up taking it to a local garage who adjusted the wire which had become slack. 👍

• Like 3

Hi all

Read all the answers supplied by others to this question and found,

Detached lever inside the footwell and rotated spindle, this did nothing.

My solution:

1. Got someone to pull the lever whilst I kept pressing the bonnet (hood) down. This allowed the catch to release.

2. Dropped the bonnet front corner adjuster buttons down to the minimum height. 

3. Closed bonnet and hay presto, bonnet operating lever now working correctly.

I can only assume that there is too much pressure on the bonnet catch when the bonnet adjuster buttons are set high.

Hope this works for you.

15 minutes ago, Raswee said:

My solution:

1. Got someone to pull the lever whilst I kept pressing the bonnet (hood) down. This allowed the catch to release.

2. Dropped the bonnet front corner adjuster buttons down to the minimum height.

Just curious, does this noticeably effect the bonnet shutline?

2019 bonnet catch

Hi again guys

just tried to open my bonnet this morning and sorry to say that the catch failed to release again.

Got the bonnet open by pressing on the bonnet whilst someone else pulls on the lever in the footwell.

Tried to get the cover off which surrounds th bonnet catch, absolute nightmare.

So looked for an easier solution. Followed the catch cable from the catch and you will come along a rubber surrounding the cable. It’s about 3-4” long. This is behind retaining clip. I managed to move this back from the retaining clip about 1/2 x 3/4” and then put a cable tie behind the retaining clip to prevent from moving back. I also put extra cable ties around the air intake and other cable securing clips but these may not be needed.

The tension on the outer cable allows the bonnet catch work perfectly now and hopefully will work in the future.

I have photos attached

26715F0F-E5BB-4495-9607-583DA4EAAAC8.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys 

I have the same issue on my 2018 focus

does anyone know where i can find the replacement cable/s as i cant seem to find the part anywhere online. It comes in 2 parts by the look of it.

Failing that does anyone know a ball park figure if i took it to a garage 

Kind regards

Mick

Any reason why you don't just go to the parts department of your local Ford dealer and buy one ?

Its not always easy to get to the local ford dealer around work hours so wanted to order online also thought online vendor would probably be cheaper 

Many Ford dealers have online stores, I quite often buy my oil and filters from Arnold Clark online delivery is included and takes two days. It's still cheaper than many shops.

Thanks uno but i have tried arnold clark along with many other online parts and cannot find the part on there either.  I can find the actual bonnet catch but not the cable🤯 so might have to phone the idiots at my local allen ford. 🤦‍♂️

On 3/16/2022 at 10:46 AM, Raswee said:

2019 bonnet catch

Hi again guys

just tried to open my bonnet this morning and sorry to say that the catch failed to release again.

Got the bonnet open by pressing on the bonnet whilst someone else pulls on the lever in the footwell.

Tried to get the cover off which surrounds th bonnet catch, absolute nightmare.

So looked for an easier solution. Followed the catch cable from the catch and you will come along a rubber surrounding the cable. It’s about 3-4” long. This is behind retaining clip. I managed to move this back from the retaining clip about 1/2 x 3/4” and then put a cable tie behind the retaining clip to prevent from moving back. I also put extra cable ties around the air intake and other cable securing clips but these may not be needed.

The tension on the outer cable allows the bonnet catch work perfectly now and hopefully will work in the future.

I have photos attached

26715F0F-E5BB-4495-9607-583DA4EAAAC8.jpeg

FYI: 2 months later and the bonnet/hood still operating correctly

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i would update

Raswee fix didnt work for me as i could not even get the bonnet open.. found the cable had split by the release lever. I could pull the cable enough to do the first release but not the second so ended up taking the undertray off and threaded my arm through the engine to pull the cable to fully release(cut my hand to bits)

ford wanted £65 for both parts of the cable (comes in 2 parts)but managed to source a second hand one off eBay so took a chance for £20 for both parts. 

A bit fiddley, and had to take the glove box out and some trim in the engine to get it fitted but happy to say its all working perfectly again 👍

• 7 months later...
On 10/7/2020 at 8:04 PM, Ryan200591 said:

Hi all, 

i have a new shaped focus (68 plate) I have just tried to open the bonnet but it isn’t doing anything when I pull the latch, never been a problem before, wondering if it has detached itself somehow? Any idea how I can gain access? All help appreciated. 

Here's what I found in the Owner's manual. It's the emergency bonnet opening procedure. I hope it helps...

open the hood ford focus mk4 2018 onwards.png

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, cristicdr said:

Here's what I found in the Owner's manual.

You do realise that the post is from July 2020 ? 😧

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

You do realise that the post is from July 2020 ? 😧

Compared to that other noobie that resurrected a 12 year old thread recently, the issue is still quite new LOL

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2021 at 2:19 PM, Mattb1509 said:

If you pull the trim under the glovebox down you can see the cable that the lever is connected to, if you pull on that whilst operating the lever it opens up, not a permenant solution but when I needed to refill my washer fluid it worked fine.

This works 👍👍👍

On 12/22/2021 at 8:39 PM, stroppy said:

I had this issue on my 68 plate this morning .. and this was the only source of useful info I could find anywhere .. so thanks Ford owners club community !

I ended up doing the procedure from the owners manual for when you can't open the left hand door .. and I'm afraid I don't quite understand how having the left hand door shut would stop the bonnet release from working .. but there you go!

I removed the bonnet release handle (and trim around it) and found that the plastic fixing at the end of the cable sheath hand separated from the cable sheath, and the whole thing had fallen out of the mount which holds the cable sheath. Pushing this back in place lets the bonnet open as usual .. but I don't know how long its going to be before it gets out of place again.

Just in-case its of use to anyone .. here is what the bonnet release handle mechanism looks like (my phone is a bit rubbish .. sorry)

IMG_20211222_120610232.jpg

• 1 month later...

My 68 plate Vignale has this problem, strange how I had the same problem with my 11 plate S-Max and had to get it re-cabled. Bit frustrating that Fords converts everything to electronics these days but still rely on a bit of “wired string”to open the bonnet. Come on Ford, get with the 21st century. You manage to do it for the boot!

For anyone else with this problem I would recommend, after it has been fixed, to adjust the Rubber Bump Stops so that Bonnet is not under strain and periodically lubricate the Latch.

I had to do that when my car was new because the Stops were wound up so far that either opening or closing the Bonnet put a terrible strain on the Cable. I also think that lubricating all the Catches, Hinges every two years is too long an Interval, if it does get done which is doubtful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone succeeded in getting Ford to pay for a new cable? Seems a fairly common problem. I have a four-year-old Focus estate which needs two people to open the bonnet @Ford

9 hours ago, Rossmac said:

Has anyone succeeded in getting Ford to pay for a new cable? Seems a fairly common problem. I have a four-year-old Focus estate which needs two people to open the bonnet @Ford

4 years old is out of manufacturer warranty.  Unless you paid for extended warranty, Ford won't cover it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/7/2020 at 8:30 PM, Ryan200591 said:

Ah ok! I will check this out, thank you!

Did this work?? I can't seem to get the cover off to get behind the lever?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club