Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2009 (59 plate) MK2 heating/heater problem/issue Resolved

Cptpeg

Good Afternoon All,

I own a 59 plate Ford Focus and have had issues with the heating for some time. I have followed a number of suggestions posted online however none have resolved my problem.

The blower worked as well as the air con however I could not get any heat. Being stubborn and not wanting to pay a garage to look at this I decided to investigate myself, in doing this I happened to stumble on the issue.

The job took roughly 15 minutes and only requires a Philips head screw driver. You just need to remove the console fascia and the stereo to allow you to see behind the blower dials. The fascia simply unclips - starting from the bottom (be careful not to use too much force.) The stereo is attached with 4 Philips screws, 2 on each side, once removed disconnect the antenna cable and the power/data cable (remember you will require you stereo security code for when you reinstall this.)

Now looking into the void where the stereo sat you want to be looking behind the blower controls, you're looking for a silver cable as highlighted in Image 1. This cable is attached to the temperature dial, Image 1 shows the dial on full heat in which the cable is just barely visible but mainly retracted inside the device it's connected to. Image 2 shows the dial on cold and you can see the cable is pulled out and fully extended.

My problem is shown in Image 3, the cable had a kink in it so when you turned the dial to heat instead of retracting back into the device it bunched up, this was stopping the device from recognising that the heat should be on. 

I simply pushed the cable back into shaped and removed the kink, in doing this after turning the dial to heat I immediately felt heat coming out of the vents. From here I reinstalled the stereo and attached the fascia.

As previously mentioned this only took about 15 minutes, required minimum tools and cost me nothing to repair. I would never have thought this to be the problem and believe most garages would have first have assumed the problem to be more a more expensive fix.

I have not seen anyone else document this guide so I hope that this helps at least one person and saves them some money.

Take care

Cptpeg 

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Image 3.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club

Forums

News

Membership