Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering return too centre

Arkhangelsk1989

Hello, I have a 2007 fiesta mk6 zetec s which is lowered by 35mm on eiback springs and new standard shocks. 

When I am going slow (10mph) around a corner, the steering is very slow too return too centre. All suspension parts have been replaced and a full 4 wheel alignment has been done. The car tracks perfectly with no problem it's just the returning of the steering wheel at slow speeds that is strange. 

At speeds above around 10-15 mph, the steering returns fairly quickly. Its never caused me a problem steering or anything but I'm just wondering why its doing this or is this normal with a lowered car? 

Cheers. 

It's the caster angle that helps centre the steering wheel.  If you've got a geometry sheet from before the lowering you can check if that's changed.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It's the caster angle that helps centre the steering wheel.  If you've got a geometry sheet from before the lowering you can check if that's changed.  

Hello mate, I forgot too ask for one when I had the alignement done. Would lowering the car change the caster? At high speeds or sharp corners it recenters so its not like I don't have any recentering at all. It's just at slow speeds I have to help it return too centre. 

4 minutes ago, Arkhangelsk1989 said:

Hello mate, I forgot too ask for one when I had the alignement done. Would lowering the car change the caster? At high speeds or sharp corners it recenters so its not like I don't have any recentering at all. It's just at slow speeds I have to help it return too centre. 

It shouldn't in theory.  But if the rear was lowered a slightly different amount to the front then it can do.  You can't adjust caster though (not without adjustable top mounts) so really there's nothing you can do about it anyway lol.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

It shouldn't in theory.  But if the rear was lowered a slightly different amount to the front then it can do.  You can't adjust caster though (not without adjustable top mounts) so really there's nothing you can do about it anyway lol.

I think the rear is 30mm and front was 35mm with the Eibach springs. Is it just something I have too get used too and live with? It's only really at slow speeds that it's very slow to return but other than that I haven't noticed any other problems. 

12 hours ago, Arkhangelsk1989 said:

I think the rear is 30mm and front was 35mm with the eibach springs. Is it just something I have too get used too and live with? It's only really at slow speeds that it's very slow to return but other than that I haven't noticed any other problems. 

Yeah, just something you'll have to get used to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, just something you'll have to get used to.

Cheers for the help 👍🏻

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club