Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus limp mode and revving out when driving

Murray2548

Hi all, I have a 2008 1.6 tdci Ford Focus which I bought about 3 weeks ago. Everything was going good until the engine malfunction light came on. I turned the car off and on and it cleared for a day but then reappeared and went into limp mode. The problem I’m having also is that when I’m driving the car will rev out and it seems like it isn’t putting the power down however I don’t think that it is a clutch related issue. I read on other forums that changing the glow plugs could solve the issue I’m having but not entirely sure. 

1 hour ago, Murray2548 said:

when I’m driving the car will rev out and it seems like it isn’t putting the power down however I don’t think that it is a clutch related issue

What makes you think it's not clutch-related? The revs rising without a corresponding increase in road speed is a classic indication of clutch slip - unless you're booting it so hard that you've got wheelspin!

16 minutes ago, mjt said:

What makes you think it's not clutch-related? The revs rising without a corresponding increase in road speed is a classic indication of clutch slip - unless you're booting it so hard that you've got wheelspin!

I went to the mechanic he said that it wasn’t clutch related but I’m not sure I thought it was clutch related at the start. I need to get a code scanner and see if it’s throwing up any errors for the engine malfunction. 

12 hours ago, mjt said:

Assuming you're in a car using wheel speed sensors rather than GPS for a speedo reading, wheelspin will make the speedo shoot up faster than you've ever seen before. :biggrin:  

11 hours ago, Murray2548 said:

I went to the mechanic he said that it wasn’t clutch related but I’m not sure I thought it was clutch related at the start. I need to get a code scanner and see if it’s throwing up any errors for the engine malfunction. 

You'll need a Ford specific scanner for engine malfunction faults generally.  They're often not shown on the standard OBD platform.

I think you mean that it does rev ok, and the sped does increase at the same time, but it's much slower than it used to be?  That sounds like the classic limp mode in the Mk2 Focus to me...having experienced it myself!  In my case it was the glowplugs, but you really need to have the faults scanned as it could also be DPF or EGR related, as well as other less likely possibilities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You'll need a Ford specific scanner for engine malfunction faults generally.  They're often not shown on the standard OBD platform.

I think you mean that it does rev ok, and the sped does increase at the same time, but it's much slower than it used to be?  That sounds like the classic limp mode in the Mk2 Focus to me...having experienced it myself!  In my case it was the glowplugs, but you really need to have the faults scanned as it could also be DPF or EGR related, as well as other less likely possibilities.

Car had a new egr put in recently so it could be the glow plugs, going to bring to mechanic tomorrow to get scanned and I’m also going to order a clutch kit and have someone fit it. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club