Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres

colawarsveteran

I am not considering buying part worns, however i have noticed that there as several nice and cheap brands. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using nexens or such like. And crucially, how long do they last compared with regular tyres like firestones, etc.

all tyres have a tread wear number on the sidewall, the scale is 100-500,the lower the number the greater the wear,michlins come at 220 so this will give you a comparison on cheaper brands.

• Like 1

all tyres have a tread wear number on the sidewall, the scale is 100-500,the lower the number the greater the wear,michlins come at 220 so this will give you a comparison on cheaper brands.

hi mintalkin, is that the lower the number the greater the wear rate or the lower the number the greater the wear resistance?

cheers

stef

A tyre graded 200 would wear twice as long on the government test track as one graded 100.

I am not considering buying part worns, however i have noticed that there as several nice and cheap brands. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using nexens or such like. And crucially, how long do they last compared with regular tyres like firestones, etc.

Ive got a part worn on my car and its the best paid £15 and got a michelin alpin all weather tyre it was that new you could still see the coloured lines on it.

Iv always bought cheap tyres, nowt wrong with em, just makes road noise a lil louder.

I have to say i am really impressed with the efficiency of people helping me with this, cheers. I wasn't expecting such a lot of help - this is my first topic.

A tyre graded 200 would wear twice as long on the government test track as one graded 100.

I've had a look at my current tyres and there doesn't seem to be this number. Just the tyre size and a bunch of stuff about max pressures etc

I've had a look at my current tyres and there doesn't seem to be this number. Just the tyre size and a bunch of stuff about max pressures etc

Thats the good thing about this forum, people like to help each other out and are even friendlier face to face! Glad your happy with the responses

Really cheap tyres like Linglong, Sunny, Kingstar, Event, Triangle and the like are a false economy. They wear quicker, they often fail prematurely, or they're dangerous in wet weather.

I wouldn't go any cheaper than Kumho or Hankook, IE a mid-range tyre.

Personally I use Bridgestone, mostly the Turanza ER300. I've seen 40k out of a pair on the FRONT of a car (Mk4 Astra). £70 for a Bridgestone that lasts 40k, or two sets of Woosung Ditchfinders at £35 that only last 20k, and have considerably less grip.

My housemate nearly died about a year ago when one of the dealer fitted Triangle tyres blew out on a wet motorway and set him in to a spin which he couldn't control. He's pretty sure if he had have any sort of grip from the remaining 3 tyres, he could have avoided his 1500degree spin, and not taken out the motorway lamp post and 50m of armco. Ironically he was booked in to the local tyre fitter the next morning for a full set of Firestones.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club