Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just got a used 2009 fiesta | squealing issue.

JB0702

Hello, I just got a used 2009 fiesta. I went for a drive and after it heated up, I could hear squealing noise. It only happened when I hit the accelerator and went away when I hit the break. Do you think it is a drive belt+pully issue? I took a photo of the drive belt. I still have 3month warranty from the dealer so hopefully it is because of this. Thank you! 

52105702-121F-4E25-8615-26773F1F6ED4.jpeg

This is the video https://www.dropbox.com/s/5170e31qkjr1isz/Video 27-08-2021%2C 16 10 25.mov?dl=0

Looking at the photo the belt has seen better days and could do with replacing.

Watched the video but could not hear any squealing.

5 minutes ago, unofix said:

Looking at the photo the belt has seen better days and could do with replacing.

Watched the video but could not hear any squealing.

Thank you, I do think the belt needs to be changed. 

Here is another video. The squealing noise is really high frequency noise and getting louder towards the end. I played it to my father in law but he said he can’t hear as it’s too high pitched. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6r3wwcuyy5k92d8/Video 27-08-2021%2C 16 10 41.mov?dl=0

My concern is if the aux belt looks that bad, then I'm guessing the timing belt has never been changed either? The aux belt has to come off to do the timing belt, and it doesn't make sense to refit a 10 year old/ very worn belt for the sake of £10 for a new one

Did you check the service history before you bought it? The timing belt should've been done 2 years ago.

15 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

My concern is if the aux belt looks that bad, then I'm guessing the timing belt has never been changed either? The aux belt has to come off to do the timing belt, and it doesn't make sense to refit a 10 year old/ very worn belt for the sake of £10 for a new one

Did you check the service history before you bought it? The timing belt should've been done 2 years ago.

I have a service history but it seems like they have only done basic service. The car has done 57000 miles until now. 

I guess I can ask the dealer for aux belt and pully for warranty but I am not sure if I can ask for the timing belt as well? But if it breaks then the car is gone.. so I am not sure what to do haha 

1 minute ago, JB0702 said:

I have a service history but it seems like they have only done basic service. The car has done 57000 miles until now. 

I guess I can ask the dealer for aux belt and pully for warranty but I am not sure if I can ask for the timing belt as well? But if it breaks then the car is gone.. so I am not sure what to do haha 

You haven't said what engine you have, but even though it's only done 57000 (which is nowhere near the 100k+ miles before the belt would be due), it also goes off age, whichever comes first. As yours is 12 years old, it should be done at the 10 year mark.

If the car was advertised as having "full service history" then I suppose you could try and argue the toss. Really the buyer should look at the service history documents before you buy the car...

Looking at the condition of that aux belt, you're really playing with fire if you carry on driving without at least inspecting the timing belt.

You may get the dealer to change the aux belt to save you less than £50, but I doubt they'd start changing pulleys unless the problem persists. There's a few different ones it could be.

6 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

You haven't said what engine you have, but even though it's only done 57000 (which is nowhere near the 100k+ miles before the belt would be due), it also goes off age, whichever comes first. As yours is 12 years old, it should be done at the 10 year mark.

If the car was advertised as having "full service history" then I suppose you could try and argue the toss. Really the buyer should look at the service history documents before you buy the car...

Looking at the condition of that aux belt, you're really playing with fire if you carry on driving without at least inspecting the timing belt.

You may get the dealer to change the aux belt to save you less than £50, but I doubt they'd start changing pulleys unless the problem persists. There's a few different ones it could be.

It’s 1.4 petrol engine model. I know I didn’t check the service history more clearly. But I guess it is too late to regret. 

I am going to their workshop next week. Do you think it will be a good idea to ask them if I can have a look at the timing belt and replace them with my cost?

Hopefully it won’t be too much money but do you have a rough idea of how much it will be? Thank you! 

2 minutes ago, JB0702 said:

Do you think it will be a good idea to ask them if I can have a look at the timing belt and replace them with my cost?

You need to replace it regardless of the condition.

I was meaning visually inspect it yourself then you will have a little more confidence in it if it's not completely wrecked like the aux belt.

Did the person state full service history or just service history,i would have thought if it's stated as full it should have the history of the ford services which states 100k or 10 years which would fall in the 10 year or do they just class service as service oil/filter and check stuff.

Make sure you get everything in before the 3 months, good luck.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club