Do Not Sell My Personal Information

cold start/ injector issue?

Swisstony

Hi folks, first day here and already a question 😅

On my 57 plate Zetec Climate 1.8, i have had a constant issue with a flat spot/ hesitation from just above tickover revs.

Has been greatly reduced with changing the egr, plugs, air filter and split pipe from air filter housing to engine (throttle bodies?) but still appears then disappears randomly. By the way, the new air filter I had fitted turned out to be restricting the airflow which did improve the response once changed.

If I start the car from cold and it stalls (which it usually does) after restarting, it runs quite well, with minimal stuttering.

However if I keep the car going from a cold start there is a lot of hesitation/ stuttering and to put it bluntly it drives like a bag of s@£$e to the point where I have to turn off and restart to get a semblance of civility from the bugger.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but the Mrs. couldn't get the car restarted after going to the shops (after it was running progressively worse with chugging etc.) but I just put my foot to the floor while cranking it over and it fired up straight away. Just like the old carb fed cars of yesteryear. 😐

Also, if the car is ticking over and I try to blip the throttle , it sort of chokes then the revs rise.

This all suggests fuel starvation, but also possible over fueling to me but am at a loss where to start.

Only idea I have is something to do with the cold start/ idle control? but, hopefully someone can shed light.

Sorry for the length of this post but I always think a lot of information is better than sod all. 👍

It would be easier to see if any codes are logged to track down what is happening. Get a code reader. An ELM327 from Tunnelrat and ForScan to match which version you choose. It will save throwing parts at the car and possibly track down what is actually wrong.

• Like 1

As @F0CUE has said use Forscan to read any DTC's that might be logged. It sounds like it could be a problem with the high pressure fuel pump. With Forscan you can use live data to monitor the pressure of the fuel rail in real time.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

My OBD scanner showed up the egr as n/w.

There is an audible whining that decreases and then stops when the car turns off which I reckoned was the fuel pump, but it did surprise me as to how busy it sounded. Could that be the issue?

Tbh the parts have been put on the car as I intended to keep it a while but now the Mrs won’t use it and she has annexed my Mondeo 😐 so unless I cure the issue it is going, which is a shame as it is a genuine 68k, but I want my Mondeo back.

59 minutes ago, Swisstony said:

My OBD scanner showed up the egr as n/w.

Have you changed the EGR?

If not then that's the first thing you must do.

59 minutes ago, Swisstony said:

There is an audible whining that decreases and then stops when the car turns off which I reckoned was the fuel pump, but it did surprise me as to how busy it sounded. Could that be the issue?

I seem to remember mine made that noise after shutdown

As mentioned, get a good quality ELM327 lead and Forscan and do a current read of faults

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

Have you changed the EGR?

If not then that's the first thing you must do.

AHEM 😏

17 hours ago, Swisstony said:

Has been greatly reduced with changing the egr, plugs, air filter and split pipe from air filter housing to engine (throttle bodies?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swisstony said:

Has been greatly reduced with changing the egr, plugs, air filter and split pipe from air filter housing to engine (throttle bodies?)

Sorry, missed that.

Have you tried cleaning and resetting the throttle body?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Sorry, missed that.

Have you tried cleaning and resetting the throttle body?

Figured you had that's I why I replied (unusually for me) so politely 🙂

Have ordered the Tunnelrat connector to take a peek at the fuel pump goings on etc.

I assume I can find the procedure for the throttle bodies in the help files?

2 minutes ago, Swisstony said:

Figured you had that's I why I replied (unusually for me) so politely 🙂

Have ordered the Tunnelrat connector to take a peek at the fuel pump goings on etc.

I assume I can find the procedure for the throttle bodies in the help files?

Some info Here

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Some info Here

Cheers for that.

As an aside, is there a cold start sensor or would that be controlled by the throttle bodies?

17 minutes ago, Swisstony said:

Cheers for that.

As an aside, is there a cold start sensor or would that be controlled by the throttle bodies?

Not entirely sure on that but I'm sure somebody else can chime in.

The PCM uses the coolant temp as well as air intake temp & ambient air temp to determine the correct temperature mapping.  There is no specific cold start sensor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The PCM uses the coolant temp as well as air intake temp & ambient air temp to determine the correct temperature mapping.  There is no specific cold start sensor.

Cheers Tom 👍

On 10/15/2021 at 7:42 PM, TomsFocus said:

Ah, yes, that's a point. Is your ambient temperature sensor working ok? These can cause running issues

3 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Ah, yes, that's a point. Is your ambient temperature sensor working ok? These can cause running issues

Where would I find that?

11 minutes ago, Swisstony said:

Where would I find that?

Have you got temperature display on the cluster?

43 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Have you got temperature display on the cluster?

YUP

TEMP.jpg

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

Ok, and it seems to be working OK, so forget that then

Ah well.....my OBD from thingyrat arrived today so I can take a peek tomorrow.

Appreciate the suggestions though 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club