Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map updates

Norsue

Hi all, my first post on the forum, hope I can get some help.I have loaded onto a usb stick latest map updates to go into focus 2017, bought recently, the system recognises a usb stick is inserted, but not loading on map updates, the Mrs is pulling her hair out.I need to get sorted before she starts on mine. 

Make sure there are no other USB devices connected. Start the engine and wait a couple of minutes before you put in the USB stick with the map. It's going to take nearly 2 hours to install the map update so best done when you are going on a long jourey.

Ty for your reply, no other usb being used, gave it a good 5 minutes engine running, before putting usb in,,we then went out for hour and half, nothing came up saying installing updates, it showed usb inserted ,that was it ,, as for 2 hours Ford site says 30-40 mins??, 

30-40 minutes for a software update. Nearly 2 hours for a map update.

Is the USB stick formated to exFat (NOT FAT32)?

Have you got the following files and folders on the USB stick?

• The folder with the title “SyncMyRide”
• One file “autoinstall.lst”
• One file “DONTINDX.MSA”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norsue said:
3 hours ago, Norsue said:

Hi all, my first post on the forum, hope I can get some help.I have loaded onto a usb stick latest map updates to go into focus 2017, bought recently, the system recognises a usb stick is inserted, but not loading on map updates, the Mrs is pulling her hair out.I need to get sorted before she starts on mine. 

When that happened to me once I think it was because I had only done a quick format of the stick, which did have other stuff on it, because after it happened I did a full format and downloaded the update again and it worked within a couple of seconds of inserting the stick. There may have been a problem with the first download but it looked exactly the same as the second successful one.

You probably know this already but you do have to unzip it as well.

14 hours ago, pcaouolte said:

30-40 minutes for a software update. Nearly 2 hours for a map update.

Is the USB stick formated to exFat (NOT FAT32)?

Have you got the following files and folders on the USB stick?

• The folder with the title “SyncMyRide”
• One file “autoinstall.lst”
• One file “DONTINDX.MSA”

All correct, but when inserting stick, it just says ‘ usb device 1 detected’,,,, nothing else is happening,

12 hours ago, Tizer said:

Ty for your reply, new stick formatted to exfat, just tried again this morning after clearing/deleting all off stick,, still same ,just usb detected , that’s it .

Ok, next check that the USB stick Partition Style is MBR, Sync won't update if the Partition Style is GPT. To do this follow these steps:

Plug the USB stick into your Windows PC.

In Windows search for powershell

Select the Windows PowerShell app which the search will find.

When the Windows PowerShell app starts type Get-Disk

This should bring up a list of the disks & USB sticks on your system, this is my list:

image.thumb.png.35e16e15303fdf02ed294e81daaa9a1e.png

Near the right hand side you can see the size of the disk/stick, use this to find the row which contains information about your USB stick. In my case the second row is the USB stick and next to it on the very right hand side it says MBR.

Does yours say MBR or GPT next to your USB stick?

When downloading the maps they are in a compressed format and must be extracted before being put on the memory stick. When you right click on the file download you will hopefully get the option to extract all once you have done this copy these extracted files onto the usb stick and try again.

1 hour ago, pcaouolte said:

Ok, next check that the USB stick Partition Style is MBR, Sync won't update if the Partition Style is GPT. To do this follow these steps:

Plug the USB stick into your Windows PC.

In Windows search for powershell

Select the Windows PowerShell app which the search will find.

When the Windows PowerShell app starts type Get-Disk

This should bring up a list of the disks & USB sticks on your system, this is my list:

image.thumb.png.35e16e15303fdf02ed294e81daaa9a1e.png

Near the right hand side you can see the size of the disk/stick, use this to find the row which contains information about your USB stick. In my case the second row is the USB stick and next to it on the very right hand side it says MBR.

Does yours say MBR or GPT next to your USB stick?

Says MBR,, l have tried sync updates on WiFi, for 50 mins, just says ‘scanning for updates’,, that’s without the stick inserted. 

1 hour ago, gds1972 said:

When downloading the maps they are in a compressed format and must be extracted before being put on the memory stick. When you right click on the file download you will hopefully get the option to extract all once you have done this copy these extracted files onto the usb stick and try again.

Ty for reply, everything was triple checked, files extracted, on exfat, using 16gb,only 2.8gb used 

2 minutes ago, Norsue said:

Says MBR,, l have tried sync updates on WiFi, for 50 mins, just says ‘scanning for updates’,, that’s without the stick in

1 hour ago, gds1972 said:

I have done all this, but to no avail,is it loading onto system, 

29 minutes ago, Norsue said:

Ty for reply, everything was triple checked, files extracted, on exfat, using 16gb,only 2.8gb used 

I've recently updated my SYNC to 3.4 and maps to F10.  The maps update needed a 32gb stick.  The SyncMyRide folder contained 22gb of files.  2.8gb isn't large enough for a maps update so that could be your problem.  Can you download and extract the files again?  The stick also had the small autoinstall.lst file.  It did not have the "DONTINDX.MSA" file mentioned by pcaouolte but apparently that is not essential.  I installed the maps over several journeys as I wasn't making a 2 hour one.  This worked but extended the overall update time considerably.  In case it helps, my SYNC 3.4 update had a SyncMyRide folder of 3.09gb and the autointstall.lst file.  I am assuming you have checked that your SYNC is up to date as that is the first stage of the process.

I do apologise to all. I made the mistake of not setting the ‘exfat’ as default.I have corrected that, I do now realise, I am UPDATING SYNC, not maps,which is where am going next,if I can get the SYNC UPDATE sorted. I have inserted the stick, and again, I do not get the upadate in progress or similar. I do get ‘index’ with letters and numbers.

4BBF6F27-19F4-402B-87DA-6C3B8E09881C.jpeg

Is it worth putting the ZIP 44kb, loaded onto usb, the car,??

26 minutes ago, Tolly said:

I've recently updated my SYNC to 3.4 and maps to F10.  The maps update needed a 32gb stick.  The SyncMyRide folder contained 22gb of files.  2.8gb isn't large enough for a maps update so that could be your problem.  Can you download and extract the files again?  The stick also had the small autoinstall.lst file.  It did not have the "DONTINDX.MSA" file mentioned by pcaouolte but apparently that is not essential.  I installed the maps over several journeys as I wasn't making a 2 hour one.  This worked but extended the overall update time considerably.  In case it helps, my SYNC 3.4 update had a SyncMyRide folder of 3.09gb and the autointstall.lst file.  I am assuming you have checked that your SYNC is up to date as that is the first stage of the process.

This is what a download from Ford site, may I add the last time it scanned for updates, was 15/7/2021, am assuming from a WiFi, but I wouldn’t know, for sure.

B755E2A5-B027-4DFD-9216-271BB4D0908F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Andyr55 said:

Did you unzip the files?

Ty for reply,Yes, but didn’t default format, to exfat,,oops,done now tho.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club