Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers Door Will Close But Not Open With Key

Scouse

Hi,

I have just joined this forum. My Focus which is 7 yrs old has developed a problem with the key barrel on the drivers side. I am unable to open the drivers side door, but I can close it. My car uses a key to lock it as it is a basic model which does not come with a key-less fob. I had the same problem last year which I was told by the dealer needed a new key to be cut as it was worn. But a year on the key has worn a bit and now I am having the same problem. I am not able to use the spare key as it is the original key so is more worn.

Do I need to change the lock barrel, and if so would that mean having to change them all?

Or is there a cheaper repair?

Thanks

Hi,

I have just joined this forum. My Focus which is 7 yrs old has developed a problem with the key barrel on the drivers side. I am unable to open the drivers side door, but I can close it. My car uses a key to lock it as it is a basic model which does not come with a key-less fob. I had the same problem last year which I was told by the dealer needed a new key to be cut as it was worn. But a year on the key has worn a bit and now I am having the same problem. I am not able to use the spare key as it is the original key so is more worn.

Do I need to change the lock barrel, and if so would that mean having to change them all?

Or is there a cheaper repair?

Thanks

i would have originally recommended getting another key cut and programmed as you only have 1 if the issue is the key wearing down then replacing the barrell will be a pointless task ideally you want two fully functioning keys at all times ide get a new key cut personally

All ford tibbe keys will lock any ford but obviously not unlock any.

Its very common for ford door locks to wear when theres no remote being used.

Get the door lock (comes in bits) from ford and take it to an auto locksmith, he will build the lock to your old key. We charge £15 for this and we can do it thru the post if needed. If I were you I would get another key at the same time.

While your at the locksmiths, ask him to programe in a remote. We do this alot and if the remote dosnt programe in, we dont charge.

Good luck

ponsaloti, My car is a CL model which does not have a remote, but you say in your message to ask the locksmith to program in a remote? Would I have to buy all the electronics such as the responder in order for this to work? How much would all this cost?

Thanks for your help though as your suggestion is a good idea. Do you know how much locks cost from Ford, or could I get one from a breakers?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club