Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Economy Mode is default.

Jane23

Hi,

I have a 2020 Fiesta Titanium X model.    Really like the car but find it really annoying having to press the  button under the handbrake to select 'Economy Mode' every time I start the engine.   Is it possible somehow to have this set as default?  I have gone through all the settings I can find but am unable to find anything.   

Thanks alot for reading.

Regards 

Jane 

• 2 weeks later...

According to the manual it should stay on?

I will test today on my Fiesta 2018 ST Line 1.0

None of my Mk 8's has the ECO mode stayed on after shutdown/restart. Including my present 2021 Vignale

I tested with mine and it seems to stay on after a engine restart..

Can anyone else confirm? especially on a 2018 model?  

On 12/19/2021 at 2:45 PM, unofix said:

Eureka !!           Ford Focus  Mk4 (and others)

Start / Stop selection problem solved !

Drive mode selection position remembered !

Firstly I must begin by saying that I take no credit for this device, it is the work of an ingenious electronics engineer called Piotr who lives in Poland.

Details can be found at the website: formod.eu

The very professionally made device is easy to install and does exactly what it says on tin.

After connecting the 4 wires you simply programme the device to work how you would like your Start/Stop system and your Drive Mode to behave.

I have installed it on my RHD - 2019 Focus Mk4 2.0 Diesel automatic which took about 40 minutes. It then took about 5 minutes to programme, which would have taken less if I knew what I was doing.

So what does it do ?              I have mine set as follows:-

10 seconds after the engine has started the device automatically acts as if I had pressed the button to turn the Start/Stop system ‘OFF’. I can if I want simply press the button and turn the system back on (not sure why I would want to do that ?).

It means that now every time I get in and start the car, 10 seconds later the Start/Stop system will be turned off – Fantastic !!

The drive mode offers two functions. Firstly you can have the device automatically select your preferred drive mode (Normal – Eco – Sport ) each time you start the engine. The second function of the drive mode selection is that you can select a time delay before the mode is engaged (10sec, 30sec, 65sec).

I have the device set to select ‘Sports Mode’  65 seconds after starting the engine which gives me enough time to drive out the street in the default Normal mode before Sports Mode is engaged

At any time both the Start/Stop button or the Drive Mode selection buttons can be pressed in the normal way to override the automatic selection.

Finally I would like to welcome @piotrmod to the Ford Owners Club and thank him for allowing me to evaluate this device.

Default is "Normal", can't be changed.

Try "Sport", they use less fuel on Sport

Ah!! the good old Ford manual. You can always be sure it will have the correct information or does it ?

The drive mode will default back to 'normal' after the ignition is turned off. Unless there is something special about a Fiesta 2018 that I'm not aware of.

It probably should have read "It remains on until you switch off"

i will double check my ford fiesta 2018 model again this weekend. And if needed upload a video..

• Like 1

Odd thing - when I look up the online manual for mine, it is as Tim's post. My hard copy manual has slightly different wording, though:

Note: The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle

which still means the same thing.

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Odd thing - when I look up the online manual for mine, it is as Tim's post. My hard copy manual has slightly different wording, though:

Note: The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle

which still means the same thing.

Interesting that.. so it does stay on after an engine power cycle.. well on mine and your 2018 models anyway...

4 minutes ago, Tim.Smith said:

Interesting that.. so it does stay on after an engine power cycle.. well on mine and your 2018 models anyway...

Yes, but it does seem to be different on later ones. The manual for a 2020 model states:

Normal
Missing Image  Vehicle settings suited for balanced driving.
Note:   This is the default mode each time you switch the ignition on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, but it does seem to be different on later ones. The manual for a 2020 model states:

Normal
Missing Image  Vehicle settings suited for balanced driving.
Note:   This is the default mode each time you switch the ignition on.

I see!!!  ok so that would explain the differences between the different years...

Even though the different between Eco mode and Normal mode for me on my 2018 Fiesta is very small, and almost distinguishable

48 minutes ago, unofix said:

Unless there is something special about a Fiesta 2018 that I'm not aware of.

Earlier Mk 8s only had eco mode (which would stay on when you switched off, later versions had selectable drive modes - eco, normal and sport (plus additional modes on Active and ST) - which defaulted to normal. I think the change was late 2019 ie 2020 model year.

• Like 2

Thanks Roger / Tim for clearing this up. You learn something new every day ! 🙂

This now makes me wonder are there settings that can be changed in FORScan so that models that default back to 'Normal' can be changed so they remember ?

Also guys can you tell me does this also work with Sport Mode, does it remember ?

42 minutes ago, unofix said:

Thanks Roger / Tim for clearing this up. You learn something new every day ! 🙂

This now makes me wonder are there settings that can be changed in FORScan so that models that default back to 'Normal' can be changed so they remember ?

Also guys can you tell me does this also work with Sport Mode, does it remember ?

Unfortunately dont have Sport mode on my car.. Only Eco..

Well you really do learn something new everyday.     An ST line with no Sport mode ........ whatever will they think of next ...... battery powered cars ? 🤣

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, unofix said:

Well you really do learn something new everyday.     An ST line with no Sport mode ........ whatever will they think of next ...... battery powered cars ? 🤣

😃 its the 2018 model

1 hour ago, unofix said:

According to the Fiesta manual normal is still the default, whatever mode you're in, on the later cars.

Can't say I'm bothered by lack of Sport mode, just press harder with right foot, though the 140 is quite responsive anyway.

I've had selectable modes on various cars I've had and (except on a Land Rover) been hard pressed to see the point, tbh. On the SEAT Leon I had previously, I could discern no effect from Sport mode, and, as on the Fiesta, Eco mode just made the car less responsive. Pressing more lightly with the right foot and good anticipation is just as good imo.

Different story on higher performance jobs, particularly where you can adjust suspension also (combinations on Hyundai's N cars seem mind boggling, though my mind is easily boggled) and I have found using Sport on auto transmissions does sharpen things up a bit.

Going back to Fiestas, Sport does perform one useful function by switching off Start/Stop as well, and I understand on the mhev it makes a noticeable difference to the regen braking effect. Not had chance to have a play with that, though - I can't be bothered doing test drives while we're still on the facemask/sanitize everything routine and there are few demo cars around anyway due to the semiconductor situation.

• Like 1

Just as a bit of a footnote. We popped out yesterday to do a bit of shopping and as soon as I started up something seemed very wrong - no fan output and when we got going the car was utterly lacking in acceleration. I was fearing the worst when I noticed the Eco symbol was showing on the instrument panel. Pressed the Eco button, the symbol went off and normal service was restored!

I certainly hadn't switched Eco on, but my wife is struggling a bit to lower herself into the seat at present (she's been waiting for an op on her back for over 2 years) and we concluded that she must have accidentally hit the button, which is nearest the passenger seat, as she got in.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:50 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just as a bit of a footnote. We popped out yesterday to do a bit of shopping and as soon as I started up something seemed very wrong - no fan output and when we got going the car was utterly lacking in acceleration. I was fearing the worst when I noticed the Eco symbol was showing on the instrument panel. Pressed the Eco button, the symbol went off and normal service was restored!

I certainly hadn't switched Eco on, but my wife is struggling a bit to lower herself into the seat at present (she's been waiting for an op on her back for over 2 years) and we concluded that she must have accidentally hit the button, which is nearest the passenger seat, as she got in.

i see, so Eco mode stays on, on the 2018 models

3 hours ago, Tim.Smith said:

i see, so Eco mode stays on, on the 2018 models

Yes, that is the case with our 2018 models, but not later cars it seems. What I found interesting here is that I certainly hadn't switched it on, but it was already on when I hit the starter button, so my wife must have accidentally pressed Eco either when she got in the car, or when she last got out. In either case, the key was in the car, but the ignition was off. So it seems you can enable Eco even with the ignition off, as long as the key is in the car.

I have found the same with start/stop - if I press the button to disable it before I start the car, it is "off" when the car starts. 

• Like 1

yes i believe thats the same with my stop/start

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club