Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which OBD device for Forscan?

Nathan Buffery

Ok, before you all rush in and recommend Tunnelrat, I already have the ELM 327 device from them. I have used this in the past and even updated the firmware on my BCM and PCM with it. This I did blindly, and knowing what I know now, I would not attempt this again. 

However, I would like the ability to update the modules. Reading through the info on the Forscan forum they recommend either the Vlinker FS or the OBD Link Ex. They do not recommend using a ELM 327 device (oops). I can understand this because it took hours for me to do my updates and I guess if either the car battery or the laptop battery died, my car would of been bricked.

My question is, when I look on eBay for both these devices, they come up as ELM327. Is this just a link word to increase the hits on the device? 

Also, Forscan recommend not using the device through a 'com port'. I know my Tunnelrat adapter uses a com port and as both these adapters have a usb connection, I cannot see how they do not use a com port. 

It would be good to hear from people that use these specific adapters. 

30 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

This is the cable that is recommended and it does work. Unfortunately it is currently out of stock though. 

Ah bugger! That's a good price as well.

Ordered a Vgate Vlinker F.S. It'll turn up tomorrow, so I'll see how I get on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Ordered a Vgate Vlinker F.S. It'll turn up tomorrow, so I'll see how I get on. 

Where from fella? 

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Where from fella? 

£35 amazon.  You dont think it's a copy do you?

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Where from fella? 

Just checked - they are back in stock today

13 minutes ago, unofix said:

Just checked - they are back in stock today

I checked after I asked the question too. 

16 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

£35 Amazon.  You dont think it's a copy do you?

No, I dont. They were out of stock on amazon for the same period they were unavailable from their site so I think you will be fine 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OBDLink EX is very good TBH.

Make sure you research on the Forscan forums for the correct settings for your lead.

Make sure all the boxes for firmware are green

Follow the instructions for updating.

CONNECT A battery CHARGER to the battery positive and the body earth

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

The OBDLink EX is very good TBH.

Make sure you research on the Forscan forums for the correct settings for your lead.

Make sure all the boxes for firmware are green

Follow the instructions for updating.

CONNECT A BATTERY CHARGER to the battery positive and the body earth

Good morning!

I would like to buy the same OBD2 Adapter but i have one question to make!

Is it safe for the ECU?

I do not want to change anything randomly but only to read information about my Focus.

If you possibly know, does it show me info about oil temperature?This is my greatest consern because i always want to know when my diesel is hot enough to push it a little harder!!!

My car is a Focus MK4 Ecoblue 1,5lt 120HP. (2020 model).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Have a nice day!

1 hour ago, Alexis94040 said:

Good morning!

Is it safe for the ECU?

I do not want to change anything randomly but only to read information about my Focus.

If you possibly know, does it show me info about oil temperature?This is my greatest consern because i always want to know when my diesel is hot enough to push it a little harder!!!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Have a nice day!

So, using Forscan comes with various warnings and it is possible to brick your car. I would say, there are other Apps and Software which are a lot safer if all you want to do is read information (having said that, I'm not sure if there is a specific temp sensor for you oil). 

Another thing to note, is this adapter plugs into a laptop. So if you are intending to use it all the time to see live readouts, then the laptop would have to sit on the passenger seat. I think you'd be better off buying a wireless/bluetooth adapter and getting an app for your phone. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

So, using Forscan comes with various warnings and it is possible to brick your car. I would say, there are other Apps and Software which are a lot safer if all you want to do is read information (having said that, I'm not sure if there is a specific temp sensor for you oil). 

Another thing to note, is this adapter plugs into a laptop. So if you are intending to use it all the time to see live readouts, then the laptop would have to sit on the passenger seat. I think you'd be better off buying a wireless/bluetooth adapter and getting an app for your phone. 

Hope this helps.

Agreed.

Just to add, you would want a bluetooth(android) wi-fi (IOS) ELM327 and an app like torque pro and a phone connected to it to display at all times

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alexis94040 said:

Good morning!

Is it safe for the ECU?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Have a nice day!

Reading Live Data will not brick your car no matter what adaptor you have, programming your car can brick it.

The FORScan phone App can give you Live Data about oil temperature and a lot of other things, the only problem is that a lot of cheap adaptors either don't work with it or don't work properly.

You are best to get an Adaptor that can read MS Can and HS Can, this allows you to do so much more than just what is on the HS Can Bus.

• Thanks 1

So just as an update then. Received my Vlinker Adapter (amazon Prime's next day delivery before 10pm actually means the day after at 10am) and I can confirm its definitely faster than my old ELM 327 adapter. It was easy to install, just plugged it in and it installed the drivers itself and then I set it up in the Forscan setting as per the instructions on the Forscan website. 

I haven't started updating modules yet as I need a day without the misses looking out the window at me and tapping her foot!!! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

So just as an update then. Received my Vlinker Adapter (Amazon Prime's next day delivery before 10pm actually means the day after at 10am) and I can confirm its definitely faster than my old ELM 327 adapter. It was easy to install, just plugged it in and it installed the drivers itself and then I set it up in the Forscan setting as per the instructions on the Forscan website. 

I haven't started updating modules yet as I need a day without the misses looking out the window at me and tapping her foot!!! 

Pleased to hear it's working and installed the drivers itself. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Pleased to hear it's working and installed the drivers itself. 

Yeah I was quite relieved that it didnt come with the little CD rom. I use a windows tablet for Forscan and I have had problems in the past transferring the drivers from CD rom to memory stick and then installing them (maybe its just me). 

• Like 1

Not sure if this forum has anything to do with it, but Tunnelrat have started selling the Vlinker Adapter🤔

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Not sure if this forum has anything to do with it, but Tunnelrat have started selling the Vlinker Adapter🤔

Makes good business sense if their original OBD cable is now not supported by Forscan.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nathan Buffery said:

Tunnelrat have started selling the Vlinker Adapter

So I wonder how BMDiag feel about that ?

lead.JPG

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

So I wonder how BMDiag feel about that ?

lead.JPG

I'm going to guess they don't know yet, or they no longer have exclusivity and haven't updated their page. Tunnelrat are slightly more expensive for the cable. 

2 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Tunnelrat are slightly more expensive for the cable.

Can we take a guess where they buy them from 🤔

• Like 1

Just now, unofix said:

Can we take a guess where they buy them from 🤔

Is it really worth their while for around £3 profit per unit, uess they are working together

I would expect that TunnelRat would buy in bulk and get a much better price that Joe public. It would also be logical that they were told to sell at a slightly higher price than BMDiag, who at the end of the day will still be selling leads. Of course I don't know any of this to be true, it's just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I finally got around to updating firmware today. This adapter seems to work well and is definitely fast. Took me 7 minutes to update my PCM, and about 2 minutes each for my BCM and IPC. Forscan couldn't find the files (and I couldn't on the ford tech website) for my trailer module. 

• Like 2

By the way, has anyone updated his MK4 recently?

I am talking about ECU updates and not Sync3.

Ford told me 2 weeks ago that it might need some update to its ECU.

Does anyone knows why?

Is it free? (if it is i do not care at all...)

Is it critical for the engine?

Mine is a diesel 1,5 Ecoblue.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club