Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dead battery

Angela Poole

I have a 2020 Ford Puma and I am having problems with the battery keeping on going dead on me.  Went to start the car on Monday and it wouldn’t open have to open with emergency key but car wouldn’t start had to call out Ford roadside assist.  Today the same happened has anyone else had this problem

• Sad 2

Two years is a short life for a battery and cold temperatures tend to point out any weaknesses. I need a bit more information. How often is the car used and how far is it driven daily?  A car needs forty fairly brisk miles to recharge a battery or thereabouts. If you didn't do that or put it on a charger since Monday, there may not be a fault at all.

23 hours ago, Angela Poole said:

I have a 2020 Ford Puma and I am having problems with the battery keeping on going dead on me.  Went to start the car on Monday and it wouldn’t open have to open with emergency key but car wouldn’t start had to call out Ford roadside assist.  Today the same happened has anyone else had this problem

Hi, it’s a well known Puma problem. Usually when you book your car into a Ford dealer, the fix is to replace the original battery which more often than not is a “Rombat” manufactured battery with a Varta battery, and in some cases perform a software update.

When we bought our Puma, I changed the original battery for a reasonably new Yuasa brand battery, which I’d taken off my Mk8 Fiesta before it was traded in, and as such it has proved to be a worthwhile swap. The car has only had different sounding reversing tones (a symptom of low battery charge) once after standing up for a  week. To be fair though the replacement battery has a higher Ah rating than the original.

I’m not suggesting that anyone with battery problems goes down this route, as it should be up to Ford to sort this issue, however, as I had the higher capacity battery sitting in the garage, I decided to change it, unaware at the time that owners were having problems with the original batteries, and it has so far been a worthwhile change.

13 hours ago, Jollyandy said:

it’s a well known Puma problem.

There's a lengthy thread here, for example:

https://www.pumaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=850

The Rombat battery is certainly mentioned as a possible culprit, but I do wonder if it's mainly just the "normal" issue with modern cars we see on thread after thread on here - infrequent/irregular use - and the answer might be the same - regularly charge with a "smart" charger?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Have you had any notifications on your app that the car has gone into sleep mode to preserve battery life?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

My 2020 ford puma has literally just done the exact same thing to me tonight!!

How did you resolve it? I can't even get in the car to pop the bonnet to be jump started 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mel Austen said:

I can't even get in the car

Why can't you just use the metal key and manually unlock the door ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, unofix said:

Why can't you just use the metal key and manually unlock the door ?

Possibly won't know since they stopped giving out paper owners handbooks?😀

REMOVING THE KEY BLADE

The passive key contains a removable key blade that you can use to unlock your vehicle.
Passive Key
  1. Press and hold the buttons on the edges of the transmitter to release the cover.Carefully remove the cover.
  1. Remove the key blade from the transmitter.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Possibly won't know since they stopped giving out paper owners handbooks

Just as well otherwise it would be locked in the glovebox 🤣

• Haha 4

• 2 months later...

Snap this is the second time it's happened. Last time my ford pass app told me someone was trying to steal the car so I rushed out and it was dead. AA came started it but battery was heavily drained. Drove to Ford garage who were diabolical and had car for 5 days before I lost my rag and told them to give me it back and do nothing but charge it. 

It's done the same thing overnight and I'm left utterly confused and wondering what to do, cause even if I get AA out they only jump start it, so I'm going to have to go and buy a battery charger and find someone who knows how to use one and help me. Not what you expect from a new car it's crazy the stupid issues I've had with this car

Pass app is always telling me it's going into deep sleep mode, but out of the blue it's discharges overnight and won't let me in without using the metal key and then won't start. 

1 hour ago, 111ljo said:

Snap this is the second time it's happened. Last time my ford pass app told me someone was trying to steal the car so I rushed out and it was dead. AA came started it but battery was heavily drained. Drove to Ford garage who were diabolical and had car for 5 days before I lost my rag and told them to give me it back and do nothing but charge it. 

It's done the same thing overnight and I'm left utterly confused and wondering what to do, cause even if I get AA out they only jump start it, so I'm going to have to go and buy a battery charger and find someone who knows how to use one and help me. Not what you expect from a new car it's crazy the stupid issues I've had with this car

Pass app is always telling me it's going into deep sleep mode, but out of the blue it's discharges overnight and won't let me in without using the metal key and then won't start. 

Deep sleep mode is designed to stop the battery charge dropping so low that the engine can't start.  (It definitely won't start if there's not even enough power for the remote unlock.)

If it's totally draining overnight, that is a fault and is likely to be caused a module not shutting down properly.

battery chargers are easy to use, as long as you've got access to a mains plug near the car.  Literally just clip the red clip onto the red battery terminal, and the black clip onto a clean piece of metal.  Then plug the other end into the mains and just leave it for as long as possible.

Alternatively you can buy a jump starter.  They cost a lot more, and there is a risk of shock from those.  But they will start the car instantly if the battery goes flat.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club