Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mHEV mode differences?

agraham

Does anyone have a definitive description of the differences between Normal, Eco and Sport modes on the mild hybrid Ecoboosts? There is obviously a large difference in throttle response but I'm not sure if I can tell a difference in brakes and steering sensitivity. There does seem to be a bit more brake sensitivity in Sport mode but I can't tell if it's actually the brakes or whether the regeneration is being a bit more aggressive and making things a bit less smooth.

Definitely more regen in Sports mode so sharper braking.

Apparently Sports mode also prevents cylinder shutdown when cruising.

Not sure there are any difference between Normal and Eco other than the lazy turbo in Eco… 

The handbook only gives fairly unhelpful advice such as:

SPORT - EXCLUDING: ST

Sport Drive Mode  Vehicle settings suited for sportier driving.
Note:   Auto-start-stop could switch off when you select this mode.

From my few test drives in mhev Pumas, and comments from owners, Sport increases the amount of regenerative braking.

I didn't notice a great difference, tbh, but I drove diesels for many years so I guess it just felt like "engine braking" which I was used to.

Some owners on here have commented that the regen was quite fierce, though, so I wonder if individual cars vary.

Otherwise sport modes generally sharpen the accelerator response and weight up the steering a little.

Again, I rarely notice a great difference unless driving something a bit more serious with adjustable suspension settings. (I've had a couple of test drives recently in a Hyundai i30N Performance with a!most infinitely adjustable settings and you could definitely tell the difference in that!😀.)

Afaik Eco is the same as in non mhev cars, dulls down throttle response, reduced blower speed in climate control, etc.

Thanks, but your comments are from experience as are mine. I was wondering if there was a definitive description of the differences. Perhaps one is not available from ford.

On mine, Sport mode is light years ahead in overall feel from Normal and Eco is just 'meh'. I drive in Sport mode all the time and just wish it would remember the setting.

43 minutes ago, agraham said:

Thanks, but your comments are from experience as are mine. I was wondering if there was a definitive description of the differences. Perhaps one is not available from ford.

On mine, Sport mode is light years ahead in overall feel from Normal and Eco is just 'meh'. I drive in Sport mode all the time and just wish it would remember the setting.

Same here...straight into sport mode once engine started...makes the car much better to drive. Regen braking a little bit harsher but you get use to it...it also seems to use the electric assistance more when required.

There is a quite good review/explanation of the modes in this car review. Go to around 9 min 30 or 'Eco' in the chapters. He is not that keen on Sport mode. I'm sure in the owners manual of my car it says, Eco mode also effects heating/AC, not sure if it still does in modern Fiestas. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jim H said:

There is a quite good review/explanation of the modes in this car review. 

It does make you wonder how much individual cars vary. Andrew and Martin are pretty clear that they feel Sport makes a difference, while the video guy obviously doesn't.

I've rarely noticed much difference in "normal" cars I've had with selectable modes, other than Eco which, like Andrew, I find a bit "meh" and never bother with.

I did notice a difference in the Hyundai I mentioned above, though and also in a Polo GTI I drove recently, which perked up a bit in Sport.

It's always seemed a bit odd to me that regen is higher in Sport - might have expected that in Eco?

On 1/30/2023 at 6:12 PM, agraham said:

I was wondering if there was a definitive description of the differences. Perhaps one is not available from ford.

I've never found anything more from Ford other than the (spectacularly unhelpful) comments in the owner manual and the general "blurb" and video on their website explaining how MHEV works.

Given that they seem to highlight the modes as a feature, I agree it would have been useful to tell us a bit more about what they actually do to make your drive more "sporty" or "eco".

I don't have a 'Sport' mode on my car, but I notice the difference when it's in Eco mode. It dulls the throttle and limits acceleration. I use Eco mode when the engine is cold to prevent damage with cold oil. I turn it off when the temp gauge moves.  You can over-ride Eco mode if you floor the throttle. 

Subject has been brought up before.

Currently have two Mk8 StLx Fiestas, one Mhev, one not, the Mhev is a long way ahead of the standard. (140ps & 155ps)

The suspension in normal mode alone feels a lot firmer, acceleration is much, much more noticeable along with the engine sound which appears less revvy and deeper. The regeneration is also very noticeable, especially in Sport mode.

The Mhev in sport mode sets it aside from non sport and the bog standard non Mhev Fiesta.

It is a pity you can no longer (or couldn't) have a new Fiesta with the 155ps engine also, which is another reason I opted to move over to the Puma (ST) which incidentally, I am still waiting to arrive although it was ordered last April and built early October. 😡

5 hours ago, Mavroz said:

Currently have two Mk8 StLx Fiestas, one Mhev, one not, the Mhev is a long way ahead of the standard. (140ps & 155ps)

The suspension in normal mode alone feels a lot firmer...

They don't have adjustable suspension. :unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

This is the one area where I do think the modes can be useful/noticeable (where adjustable suspension is fitted of course).

I'm not quite clear though, whether Martin was meaning the suspension was firmer in different modes, or whether the MHEV was firmer than the non-MHEV? Not managed a drive in a 155 ST-L so don't know from experience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mavroz said:

It is a pity you can no longer (or couldn't) have a new Fiesta with the 155ps engine

Funnily enough popped into my local dealer the other week and there was an unregistered ST-Line Vignale 155 in the showroom - cancelled order apparently. 

If it had been nearer to standard spec I might well have been seriously interested but it had so many extras (including pan roof), I could get a better deal on a basic ST-3.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, i am aware of that.

What i mean is the suspension on the Mhev is far better that that on the non Mhev.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

This is the one area where I do think the modes can be useful/noticeable (where adjustable suspension is fitted of course).

I'm not quite clear though, whether Martin was meaning the suspension was firmer in different modes, or whether the MHEV was firmer than the non-MHEV? Not managed a drive in a 155 ST-L so don't know from experience.

Yes, that is what i meant, the difference between the 2 cars.

Cant wait to try the Puma ST as they say that is even better and holds bends like glue at a decent speed.😁

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Indeed.  That was the main reason I chose the Leon in FR Sport spec.  Just a shame the suspension couldn't smooth out the low speed jitters from the 18s, was actually alright over bumps.  Still holding out some hope that a comfort spec Golf with reasonably sized wheels and DCC might be a more appropriate combo for my circumstances.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Still holding out some hope that a comfort spec Golf with reasonably sized wheels and DCC might be a more appropriate combo for my circumstances.

One thing I've noticed recently is that the only Golfs that seem to be offered with reasonably early delivery are in Life spec which is 16" wheels. 

• Like 1

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

One thing I've noticed recently is that the only Golfs that seem to be offered with reasonably early delivery are in Life spec which is 16" wheels. 

Life is very basic unfortunately.  They also had a short run of special edition 'Active' models last year, which was basically Life with a few extras (privacy glass, heated washers, 3z climate, heated seats and heated MF (touch) steering wheel).  Still on 16's though so would be a better option for me.

image.jpeg.d36006b4d110b564b0ce1af5d1ae2161.jpeg

Still waiting to hear if I'll be eligible for MB though.  If not, no chance of a new Golf as the finance costs are so high.  If I am, I may have to consider a Life...though I'd prefer the style, if it wasn't for the 17s!

• 1 month later...

Well, ST Puma arrived over a week ago and we are both very impressed with it.

On the strength of this and the PX price offered for her Fiesta StLx 155, the Mrs ordered a Puma StLx 155 yesterday for delivery end of April with some options, so it will be bye bye to the Fiestas for Good after several years for us. 

Only thing I miss from the Fiesta is the sunglasses holder which isn't part of the fixtures and fittings on the Puma but now bitten would never go back if it was possible.

New Fiestas dont have the glasses holder any more either.

No need for sunglasses with the new auto-dimming windscreen! 

(I might have made that up... :wink: )

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2023 at 12:34 PM, TomsFocus said:

No need for sunglasses with the new auto-dimming windscreen! 

(I might have made that up... :wink: )

I'm not sure about windscreens (maybe illegal) I'm sure on some high end car they can have dimmable windows and/or sunroof. 

I've found this system which has been fitted to a Mondeo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club